on 12 December 2003
We discovered the Narnia books on tape 12 years ago when living in France and we drove hundreds of miles around Europe, two small children listening intently in the back seat, all of us captivated by the magic. Michael Hordern does full justice to the beautiful English prose, the complex characters, the extraordinary world where good struggles with evil -- the creation of a remarkable British writer. The music, composed specially for the series, complements it perfectly. Our tapes self destructed years ago and we are ordering the CDs now, looking forward to recapturing our remembered pleasure.
on 18 October 2002
If you never buy your children any other books or tapes, buy them Narnia! In fact, not just children, adults too. Life-changing stuff! If every child had Narnia when growing up then the world would be a better place.
The Michael Hordern versions have now been around for some time but if you like the idea of bedtime stories then this is a superb adaptation with a simple musical setting that adds more feeling to the story rather than detracting/distracting. Rather like having your father/grandfather read to you when you were young.
You're never too old to grow young.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2007
"Prince Caspian" is chronologically the fourth book in the Narnia series but the second written by CS Lewis. It sees the return of the four Pevensie children - Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy - who first entered the enchanted land of Narnia in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".

In this second instalment, the four children aid Prince Caspian who must fight his Uncle Miraz for his rightful place as king, and restore Narnia as the land of the free where talking animals and magical creatures can once again live in harmony with humans.

"Prince Caspian" follows the classic theme of the weak overcoming the strong for justice and freedom. In this sense, the book has a predictable plot and suffers the "sequel syndrome" of not being as fresh or enchanting as the original. What it does have are memorable characters including Doctor Cornelius, Caspian's mysterious mentor; Trufflehunter the loyal badger; Trumpkin the agnostic but brave dwarf and Repeecheep the valiant mouse (though he does not truly shine and earn his reputation as one of the most loved characters from the entire series until the next book, "The Voyage of the Dawntreader"). There are also scenes that although seem minor when you read them, will stay with you long after you've read the last chapter, including when Caspian learns the truth about Miraz from Cornelius and when Caspian is reunited his old nanny.

This book is subtitled as "The Return to Narnia" and I think that perhaps this should have been used as the main title. The book for me serves only as an introduction to Prince Caspian who does not develop into a fully rounded character until the next title in the series. In this book, the focus is still very much on the Pevensie children and "their" return. It deals with their faith, relationships and struggles far more strongly than Caspian's. For instance it is Peter and not Caspian who must face Miraz in the ultimate battle.

But that aside, "Prince Caspian" is an enjoyable read and sets the scene very nicely for "The Voyage of the Dawntreader".
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 August 2011
I mistakenly purchased an abridged audiobook of "Prince Caspian" to complete my set of Narnia but lost it almost as quickly surprisingly.
I rarely buy any audiobooks abridged or dramatised versions unless I can avoid them and I buy hardbacks, partly because they are often cheaper (obviously too heavy for the paperback brigade) but also because they feel like books.
I was not disappointed with this version; high quality recording, pleasingly read without too many efforts at strange voices. The CDs went to my grandchildren for future use and to make the set complete.

P.S. To Graspee: Thank you for this prudent advice. I will remove them "post-haste" and try to be more diligent and law-abiding in future!
on 21 March 2001
"I'm hunger, I'm thirst; where I bite, I hold till I die, and you must cut out my mouthful with me or bury me with my enemy. I can fast for a thousand days and not die; I can lie on the ice for a hundred nights and not freeze; I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemy." The darkest of the Narnia Chronicles (with the possible exception of The Silver Chair), the Prince Caspian story is one of adolescent rebellion against the values one has been brought up with. Enchanted by the old stories of talking animals that he hears as a child from his nurse, Caspian learns that he is the youngest in a line of evil repressers from a foreign land and sets out to right the wrongs of his forefathers. It's C. S. Lewis at his best: the above quote - from a wearwolf offering his services to the rebels at their lowest hour - is one of my favourite from the Lewis Canon because of its rhythmic nastiness. Although he never made it as a latterday Keats, his early ambitions in poetry are felt here.
on 25 February 2009
Second to be written of the core Narina books (1951) and third in 'reading order'. I've never done this before in an Amazon review, but rather than write something of my own I realise that I can't do any better than the text I found on Wikipedia, which is a brilliant comparative study of Prince Caspian and the Bible, so in the hopes of more widely disseminating it, here it is:

"The two major themes of the story are courage and chivalry and, as Lewis himself said in a letter to an American girl, "the restoration of the true religion after a corruption" (Collected Letters, III, p. 1245). Aslan is portrayed by Lewis as a Christ figure. Aslan's father (the "Emperor-Over-Sea") is God the Father. Some believe the story is a parallel to Moses and the freeing of the Israelites. A more likely parallel can be drawn between the Israelites' war with the Philistines, with Miraz's duel with Peter being similar to David and Goliath. In I Samuel 28:3-25, Saul, desperate to receive an answer from God, has a witch to summon the spirit of Samuel, similar to Nikabrik summoning the White Witch in an act of desperation. Though Samuel is in no way a parallel to the White Witch, it is the concept of turning to evil in extreme situations instead of trusting in God, or in this case the power of Aslan. In 2 Samuel 2:1-5:5, the Israelites refuse to wait on the Lord causing them a grave defeat in battle. This is similar to how the Narnians do not wait for Aslan, and thus suffer a defeat at the Telmarine castle. The Telmarines are descended from pirates, and Philistines invaded Canaan as "People of the Sea." Edmund and Lucy assist Prince Caspian in his attempt to get to Aslan's country (over the sea) in Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The new Narnia can be seen as a parallel to the modern world, with a dislike of religion. "Who believes in Aslan nowadays?" asks Trumpkin when he first meets Caspian. Those who "hold on", like the badgers, are praised: this links with Lewis's views on religious faith. Faith is another of the major themes of the book."
on 20 April 2015
Really enjoyed reading the book, it follows on well from the first one. C.S.Lewis is brilliant and his imagination is endless. I really enjoyed this whole series as a child so to re read them again now as an adult is even better. Please read this series. Its one of lives must!
on 21 March 2001
Its is absolutely excellent, even though the chronicles of narnia are classed kids books I think they are suitable for all ages as they are absoultely fantasticIn Prince Caspian the characters Peter,Susan,Edmund and Lucy are called back into narnia when Civil war breaks out when the talking beasts come out of hidding and other Narnians join the side of Prince Caspian with the help from the children fight against the evil King Midas (caspians uncle) to win narnia back. The charecters are great and you really get hooked in to the book you just cann't put it down!!!
on 20 March 2014
I couldn't get into the Narnia books as a child but with the hindsight of knowing there is a Christian message in the stories, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book as an adult and it made me think and reflect from a Christian perspective. Would recommend a re-read if you read it originally as just a story when you were younger.
on 17 May 2013
Although I always loved all the Narnia books, in common with many fans I always found Prince Caspian a bit disconcerting but couldn't quite work out why. Having now read Michael Ward's wonderful "Narnia Code" I have returned to Prince Caspian with my eyes newly opened and discovered the depths within it. I always puzzled as to why Bacchus and Silenus suddenly appear, for example. Now at last this mystery is revealed.