Format: DVD|Change

on 11 January 2010
This is Carey Mulligan's film, and not just because of the Oscar and Golden Globe nominations. She stamps her presence on every scene, acting as though her life depends on it. She was twenty-three (not 17) when she made this movie, and succeeds brilliantly in making us believe she's 16. She's beautiful, hesitant, self-assertive, gullible, with the makings of a sophisticated older woman (which Lynn Barber became). That's not to say that rest of the cast isn't about as good as it could be. Everyone stands out, from Peter Sasgaard's very convincing portrayal of a certain type of Englishman, to Alfred Molina's not too sharp father, to Rosamund Pike's perfect portrayal of a somewhat posh floozie. Hurry on the DVD.
on 13 April 2010
Watched this after it'd become the latest entry in my 19 year-old son's top 10 all-time films (still topped btw by 'Dances with Wolves'). He loved the portrayal of the 'Education or Life' dilemma, something we and all families face during the A level years. The parents played by Alfred Molina & Cara Seymour were brilliantly drawn by Nick Hornby, esp the way neither parent could connect with their daughter (Carey Mulligan). With no brothers or sisters it must have been a nightmare time for journalist, Lynn Barber, whose memoir provided the stimulus for the film. I also loved Rosamund Pike (Helen) talking about 'Reading English' books at Oxford, another sparkling brushstroke by Hornby.
All in all a classy film, with i thought had the right ending selected from those filmed (and appearing on the DvD extras). I would have liked a longer featurette, with more from Barber and Hornby and the presentation of the deleted scenes could have been sharper.
on 3 June 2010
I was so looking forward to seeing this film having missed it in the cinema. As a uber fan of 1960's British cinema anticipation was high. The prospect of a lazy, rainy Saturday afternoon on my own with a DVD beckoned. The credits were fabulous - a perfect homage to the period. But then.....ummmm....that uneasy feeling that perhaps (dare I even THINK it?) this isn't all it's cracked up to be? This made the Best Film Oscar shortlist? How many BAFTA nominations?

To be fair, Carey Mulligan IS a star. "Lights up the screen" is a cliche but she is worthy of it. Also, she can act. This star-making performance, though covered up a really clunky and thin script. The film is, ultimately pointless. A "So what! Who cares?" experience. Key relationships - including the central love affair - weren't explored in any great depth. There was no real sense how shocking this affair must have been. The characters were all thinly sketched, and it was particularly galling that the supporting female cast, who had huge potential to make the film infinitely more interesting, were underwritten. Olivia Williams' teacher, Rosamund Pike's glorious air head and Jenny's mother - why underuse such wonderful performers?

I did get the film. I just don't get what the huge fuss has been about. See it without high expectations and you'll probably enjoy it. Expect to see the "film of the year" and you won't.
on 11 June 2010
This was fantastic, I was completely glued to the story and the setting was amazing. If you love the sixties/seventies, this is a great film. If you've lived through the period this will have memories come flooding back. A must have in your dvd collection.
on 29 March 2010
What a pleasure to see a film without violence, without special effects, without all the techie tricks that sap the enjoyment out of a story. This film about real people acting out real situations, understated, funny and poignant is worth a dozen Avatars. Carey Mulligan has a stunning future.
on 3 January 2014
A story that forces the watcher to ask questions about the role of women in society and their struggle through time of how men, particularly their fathers, have treated them. With a striking blow of a plot twist, this film allows the watcher to really question the ideas of love and future.
on 17 June 2011
I'D HIGHLY RECOMMNED THIS! BUY IT NOW! Well, i saw the trailer for this film and thought it sounded good, but when i watched it, my views were a lot stronger! I was absolutely gobsmacked at how much i loved this film and for all the right reasons. For me, the idea of a teenage girl being sweeped off her feet by a man double her age was fantasically cool. I loved how Jenny's life turned upside down when she met David, but it all seemed so perfect! Her life suddenly became exciting and beautiful. Suspense constantly built throughout the film and that made it perfect for me! I was slightly gutted about the heartbreaking ending, but at least Jenny still lived her original, more sensible and sane planned out life! I've got to say, some of my family members were fairly let down with this film because they thought it was long- winded- however i didn't agree with them, but if it's the genre which you like, then i can't fault it. 5* any day!
on 11 February 2014
Weirdly interesting. One of my favourite films.

I watched it once and wasn't sure what I thought, and then proceeded to buy it. I can't describe what's so likable about it, I find it very comforting.

Ambiguous ending, but I think I like it.
on 17 September 2014
Brilliant screenplay from Nick Horner of a chapter in Lynn Barber's book (and life), excellent acting especially from Carey Mulligan and Rosamund Pike. I gave this to a friend as a thank you for having us to stay and she's already watched it twice.
on 7 January 2013
A story of a sixteen year old schoolgirl studying to go to Oxford who is seduced by an older man. One of those films I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't rented it first. A much better film than the rather yucky poster on the front cover suggests.