5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from start to finish!
This was my first Dean Koontz book.
I had finished my last book and was just looking for a quick replacement.
Boy am I glad I picked this one!
The story had me gripped from start to finish with exciting twists and up-and-downs throughout.
I now want to read more Koontz books to see how he carries on with other story lines.
This is a criminal,...
Published on 24 Mar 2004 by Matt Gifford

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Although not one of his best, Dean Koonz seems to have recaptured some of the style of his early books like Watchers and Lightning. It starts off slowly but builds up to a resonable ending and the story is good enough to keep you interested. I wouldn't rate it as a great book, indeed, From The Corner Of His Eye is probably the best book he has written for ages, and even...
Published on 28 Feb 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from start to finish!, 24 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Face (Paperback)
This was my first Dean Koontz book.
I had finished my last book and was just looking for a quick replacement.
Boy am I glad I picked this one!
This is a criminal, supernatural story with a heavy (but not imposing) hint of social behaviour subtexts that blend together excellently!
Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, 2 Feb 2004
Ninakim (Cardiff, Cardiff United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
This book is excellent. What an imagination Koontz has! I have been reading his books for a decade and he still impresses me. I could not put this book down and I am now lost without it. The themes, the characters, the plot. It's all great. If you read this and enjoy it, then you may aswell purchase all his other books in bulk (so you don't have to pay for p&p) and forget about Stephen King.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another brilliant book from Dean Koontz, 13 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
If you like Dean Koontz you will not be disappointed by this book. If you have never read any of his books what are you waiting for.
The relationship between the main characters, an ex homicide detective and the young boy he has to protect, builds throughout the book. As does the threat to both of their lives. This makes for an exciting finish to the book, you really don't know who will survive.
Dean Koontz just keeps getting better! cant wait for his next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars super heart stopper, 29 Aug 2003
K. Gibson "K.Gibson" (Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
Dean Koonts has done it again.A superb mixture of thriller with a sprinkling of the supernatural. The story GRABS you from the start, it makes you care about the characters. The story is a delight, the twists and turns are not obvious and you have to keep on reading.
Even when the story finishes you would like to know more and follow the characters as their lives unfold even further.
Its a great book you can't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 23 Feb 2004
Mr. P. G. Scott "Paul Scott" (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Face (Paperback)
I have read many Koontz books in the past and have always enjoyed them, although i did start to think that the alien encounters or fantastically intelligent Canines were getting a bit predictable!! Well this has neither and i simply couldnt put it down. For anyone who likes Koontz or anyone who is looking for a great read then add this to your collection NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly un-puttdownable!, 13 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
One of Koontz's best yet! Although the book seemed a little slow in the beginning, you have to allow the author the benefit of the doubt when setting the scene, and creating the characters. And after he has done this, you will be utterly engaged. This has the sort of urgent drama that makes you want to scream in frustration at the characters' almost-too-slow realisation of where danger lies, in a pantomime-esque 'it's behind you' kind of way. I could not put this down, and as usual the author combines a page-turning thriller with a warm and touching message, and a fantastic and urgent finish. Totally Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Thriller, 11 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
This novel does not only sweep you along at a breathless pace, but is one of the most suspenseful novels i have read in a long time. Dean Koontz plays on every emotion and manages to keep the story racing along. He's art is making the reader believe the impossible. He sure got me thinking!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars? Come on! How about 5 Supernovas?!, 1 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
This is the best film I've ever seen. And, before anyone starts thinking that somehow I've actually seen it in cinematic format, then stop. Sure, I'd watch the film, but this is one of those rare books where I truly envisaged the whole kit and caboodle (and without even realising that fact until I'd finished). Not just bits. The lot.
Starting the book, one feels a little in awe of its length, but not a single page fails to compel the reader into licking their cerebral lips for the next: humanity combating chaos, subtle yet gruesome depravity, sadness, contrition, and a thoroughly heart-thumping finale. It's not just a fact that, to quote the cliche, "I couldn't put the book down". The book wouldn't put me down. I lost sleep reading this, but by no means regret the sore eyes.
Dean Koontz is a master. Am I grovelling at his talent? Yes. So what?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars Just ain't Enough!!!, 27 Aug 2003
Danjal Jannik Nyberg (Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
What's not to like? I won't get into the story itself, it can be read elsewhere, but come on!! The descriptions, the plotlines, the characters, the riddles, everything. This has to be The Masterpiece of Dean Koontz's career thus far. This is a perfect story, almost as perfect as they come, it even outdoes my faves such as 'Whispers', 'Intensity', 'Sole Survivor' and 'From the Corner of His Eye'. To those of you who didn't even get through half of the book: Give it another chance!! This is perfection.
What's not to understand? True, the lead character, Ethan Truman, gets killed off in chapter two and is back in chapter three, but if you guys'n'gals just hang in there, by the end it will make perfectly sense, and if you don't get touched and aren't filled with hope and joy when the last page is turned, then I dare say that your heart is made of stone. And yes, there is a large cast, but not as large as in, say, 'Strangers' or 'From the Corner of His Eye'.
This is a darn good novel; it has everything, love, horror, terror, hope, redemption...and in spite of the 600+ pages it is a fast read, immensely gripping, and not easily forgotten (but I'm also one of those guys who found that 'Mulholland Drive' has lots of meaning, and who never have found a movie going by so quickly).
Highly, highly, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Face, 17 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Face (Hardcover)
I have been an avid reader of Dean Koonz novels for many years and he never ceases to amaze me.His recent novel The Face was,to me above his usual standards.It had the ususal mix of down to earth heros and crazy serial killers!! From the moment i picked the book up i couldnt put it down,i must have read it from cover to cover in a whole evening,thats the thing with Koontz,he keeps you wanting more.If you want a good novel to keep you occupied on a cold,dark winter evening,Koontz is the guy to to read.Not only does he scare the pants off you,he makes you want to hug the heros!!deffinately a book to put on your christmas list.

The Face