5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
Published on 7 Aug 2008 by Eileen

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to understand
I chose this rating because I haven't been able to read it all . I don't know if I will finish it as I find it very hard to cmprehend just how far a (so called) Mother's cruelty could go. In some places I felt physically sick and must admit at times I did wonder if this really could have happened. Not that I think the auther is lieing.It is SO unbelievable what has...
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 7 Aug 2008
What an amazing book! I couldn't put it down. THE most heartbreaking story I have ever read. I don't know how you got through so many dreadful mentally & physically abusive times in your young life. I cried many times and was calling your so-called mother all the things under the sun each time she did something terrible ~ I couldn't believe she could be such a monster! I applaud you for your strength of character and hope the spirits around you continue to guide you safely through your life. When is the next book coming out ~ I want to see you living your life happily ever after! Well Done on a story well told, and superbly well written...... can't wait to see what happened next ~ hope things got better!

5.0 out of 5 stars punished, 7 Aug 2008
This book is written through the "eyes of a child" and it was easy to understand and feel her emotions. The book was very descriptive and emotional without being overdramatic. I am so pleased that Vanessa accepted her new "friends" into her life and did not allow her beliefs to falter as she grew up. Adults can be so overpowering in their parenting and dismissive of anything unsubstantiated. I am so pleased that something good came from something evil. I also eagerly await the continuation of Vanessa's life journey and look forward to hearing about some of her spiritual experiences; with a clown for a guide lets hope he brought some fun into her life. Excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars child abuse, 31 July 2008
I cried all the way through this book. It is one of the most upsetting books i have read. It amazes me that a "mother" can hate a child so much that she puts that child through hell. The hell of been beaten day in day out and telling Vanessa that god hates her, being thrown in a cupboard and left there and many more awfull things like the "mothers" parents sexually abusing Vanessa. Vanessa thinks that her "mother" may have been abused as a child and that may be why she turned a blind eye to what her horrible parents were doing to Vanessa i'm sorry i don't buy that. I was abused as a child for a number of years and i also have three children but i have NEVER NEVER abused or let anyone else abuse them i would kill anyone who hurt my children. Vanessa feels this way about her children, she is a PROPER mother and should not make excuses for her "mother". I am glad that Vanessa had her special gift to get her through her tragic childhood because god knows she needed something. I also know the pain of losing a sibling as my brother died when he was only four years old, you never loose the pain but you do learn to live with it. Good luck for the future Vanessa and thank you for telling your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read - she does have some kind of power, I've spoken to her myself and can't explain how she knew what she did., 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: Punished: A mother's cruelty. A daughter's survival. A secret that couldn't be told.: A Mother's Cruelty. A Daughter's Survival. A Secret That Couldn't Be Told. (Kindle Edition)
Well, being neither a cynic (especially where people's pasts are concerned - it's not called for in a review to entitle someones entire childhood "fiction") nor some kind of psychic-follower or believer, I read it with horror at what she went through and kind of ambivalence at the 'powers' that she wrote about developing through the years of abuse. Not sure I really believed it or thought it was some kind of trauma issue.

But I do want to say that when I emailed her just a brief few words via her website about how I admired her, and I was not remotely expecting a reply - we had a short conversation via email which proved to me she is genuine. The things she came out with gave me a real shock. (No money was exchanged, we are not friends and had not spoken before or since)

For this reason I think she's entirely genuine and am glad she published her book.. What a strong and admirable person she is, and I thank her for telling her story, because it was worth reading and I'm sure will give strength to a lot of people.

And I wish her all the best in her life and future happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars The big mystery for me will always be Why?, 18 April 2009
Shaan Hicks (UK) - See all my reviews
Well I was probably one of the first to read this book but with two young children a house and business to run it has taken me over a year to write a review! I apologise for that Vanessa. The book made a huge impression on me and still remains very vivid in my mind. I couldn't put it down kids or no kids! I read into the early hours. It was so moving so upsetting I sobbed my heart out. The big mystery will always be "why?" It has been just over a year ago now that I saw you last on a very significant day. You talked of forgiveness that night and so much now makes sense. The book was very well written, your story well told and I along with many others no doubt are awaiting to learn the next chapter of your life praying that it is a happier one. You are a strong and most definately an extraordinary lady!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant but heart rendering read., 9 July 2008
A moving and tragic story which shows what heart ache some children have to go through. So well written that I read all the way through in just 3 sittings -it makes you cry but is so compelling. We must make sure we all listen more carefully to what children are saying. It must have taken such courage to write this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars punished by Vanessa Steel, 7 July 2008
I have never read a book that affected me so deeply...You are an inspiration to many people out there.I am a foster carer and have often been laid with the huge responsibility of caring for children who have suffered sexual,physical and emotional abuse...Thank you for you honesty. You made it,and hopefully some of the children i help will also make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing story, a must read !!, 4 Aug 2009
Ms. Katie Preston (London, England) - See all my reviews
i was crying and cheering vanessa on the whole way. what that little girl went through was worse than sadistic and awful and how she coped with it is inspiring. i would recommend to anyone and everyone. i gave it to my mum to read straight after and she read it in a day, couldn't put it down!!

5.0 out of 5 stars once you start to read you cant stop, 18 Aug 2008
Mrs. S. J. Baker (england) - See all my reviews
im so glad i read the book and i found that once i picked the book up it was hard to put down this the first time ive picked a book up in a very long time and im glad it was yours vanessa and thank you for letting me know about the book i you have a big heart and i hope your story will help many people no matter how old they are i know it has helped me and for that thankyou

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories never fade, 14 July 2008
Childhood memories never fade if they have had such an impact on your life. This has been shown by an amazing ladies heart rending story about her life as a child and onward into her teens. I too am adopted but mine was the sunny side of the street.Untill you read other peoples life stories you can not imagine what others have to endure and at such a young age. Well done Vanessa,I do hope your voices continue to keep you safe. When are we going to have the next book? You cant leave so many people wondering what happens to you as you get older and wiser....
Thank you again for such a compelling read.