5.0 out of 5 stars Jason Bourne through and through.
I was disappointed after reading the fifth book in the series, but no such disappointment with this instalment. The story was a tight gripping story that gradually revealed the plot and kept enough surprises to make it a very enjoyable read to the end. I would highly recommend this book.
Published 18 months ago by A. Kendall

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bourne Betrayal (but then ANYTHING is!!!)
Here we go again... another Eric Van Lustbader poor knock-off Bourne Book!

Published on 25 Oct 2008 by Mr. Clark Gillies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bourne Betrayal (but then ANYTHING is!!!), 25 Oct 2008
Mr. Clark Gillies (West Kilbride, Ayrshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Here we go again... another Eric Van Lustbader poor knock-off Bourne Book!

When The Bourne Legacy came out I felt that new life had been brought into (the book) Jason Bourne (I thought it was a great book), and could not wait for more... but when the Bourne Betrayal (Betrayal is the word for sure) came out and was so angry and wish that Van Lustbader had stopped while he was ahead with Legacy.

Anyway, when The Bourne Sanction came out, a part of me wanted to avoid it after the let down of the last book!

TBH, the story is still VERY weak and poor (even Robert Ludlum himself never wrote anything as poor as this and the last book)... but is actually more enjoyable than Betrayal... Bourne again seems to be getting younger rather older (its pretty weired reading about a guy in his late 60's on the dancefloor of a Moscow nightclub, like he is in his late 20's, dancing with a young Russian girl), which makes me think that Van Lustbader has based "his" Bourne on the Matt Damon one rather than Robert Ludlums one!

From what I hear another book is due out next year... hopefully Van Lustbader will move on from the Middle-East Terrorist story that he has followed in the last 3 books, as it is getting old now!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Lustbader Books to Date About Jason Bourne, 21 Aug 2008
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is the third book written by Eric Van Lustbader about Jason Bourne. As I've commented before, this isn't the same Jason Bourne as Robert Ludlum wrote about. If you want that Jason Bourne, skip this book. It's also different from the wonderful ninja stories that Eric Van Lustbader is known for. So don't look for that either.

If you are interested in meeting and following a new Jason Bourne, read on. If you do decide to read The Bourne Sanction, I strongly suggest that you read The Bourne Betrayal first. The characters and the situation won't make much sense to you otherwise. I suspect that you will see this book as a one or two star effort.

As the book opens, there's a deadly secret being passed along to help foil a dangerous terrorist plan. The U.S. intelligence community is in great turmoil, and there are lots of people who want to grab the reins of power. Jason Bourne has resumed his David Webb persona and is teaching again. Events quickly conspire to intertwine those plot threads into a huge conflict that imperils even Jason Bourne.

Like The Bourne Betrayal, this book is too long. But it's only 150 pages too long, rather than 200 pages too long. That's progress.

The book's strength can be found in some of the action scenes and in the plot twists that are deeply embedded into the early Bourne stories. The book's weaknesses are that it moves too slowly, Bourne is barely present as a personality, and there's a little too much assuming that readers have read the last two stories.

I get the sense that Mr. Lustbader is beginning to get his sea legs under him in writing about Jason Bourne. I suspect the series will continue to get better from here. But what do I know? I'm just an optimist who is rooting for this series to work. I would miss the idea of Jason Bourne too much otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Bourne Novel, 25 Oct 2008
Van Lustbader takes the Bourne adventurer on another venture but does not take the Bourne story forward, although there is a hint of a yet another volume to follow in the last page. This story is about a rather imaginary middle eastern terrorist group with its beginnings in Nazi Germany. I thought the story not put together as well as other books, and wondered of it could do with some editing as it is confusing in parts. If you have read all the other Bourne books then worth reading but I would not start here with the Bourne series. I tend to get the impression this is an investment for a long series of Bourne films in the future. In conclusion I enjoyed the book, but it did not excite me and I did manage to put the book down and took longer then usual to finish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not well researched, 3 Oct 2008
Bought this book at the airport.............
My first impression of this book was that it was poorly researched. It has some fairly graphic violent scenes that have some cringingly inaccurate injuries that anybody who knows any school biology would not make eg "was struck flush on his third sacral vertebra, which shattered on impact, breaking his back" really?
"He aimed for the underside of the guard's wrist; the nexus of veins that, if severed, would render the hand useless"
All this by page 8-and it goes on.
Unfortunately this made me not "trust" any of the other descriptions of things in the book eg places-immediately I didn't believe what I was reading.
Impersonating a dead author is a good way of making money but this book is lazy and sloppy, the plot is fairly transparent and in parts was fairly incoherent because I hadn't read the previous two books and therefore didn't understand the relationships between the characters. However I did finish the book and despite predicting the plot from fairly early on couldn't/didn't put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Jason Bourne through and through., 16 Mar 2013
A. Kendall (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Ludlum's: The Bourne Sanction: The Bourne Saga: Book Six (Jason Bourne 6) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off slowly, then picks up but a bit too long, 17 Aug 2009
I have read a couple of the Mr Ludlum's Bourne novels, but am more attached to the film adaptations to date, so thought that I would give Mr van Lustbader's book a try for a holiday read. It starts off VERY slowly, lots of long winded chapters, many words that neither my wife or I had even heard of (this might be us though rather than the book!) and long, drawn out scenes. Perhaps this is for the benefit of people unfamiliar with Jason Bourne and the Treadstone Project and Mr VL wanted to get everyone up to speed; personally, I feel he could have this much more succinctly in far fewer pages and chapters.

After the initial struggle to keep going with the book (up to page 104 or thereabouts), the story picks up a bit of momentum. There are many good action scenes that are narrated, in my opinion, pretty well and helped me visualise what was going on. The depth of Mr VL's characters varies greatly; for example we know intimiate detail on JB and Arkadin, but much less, ultimately on Professor Spector and Icoupov. There is also a whole "Jack Baeur - 24" style subplot going on in the background that is almost comical compared to the main plot of the book: the characters in that subplot (Hart, Devon, Tyrone, Soroya etc) are very lightweight and unbelieveable - I personally felt no empathy towards any of those characters and the supposed torture scenes down that subplot were, to me, a complete waste of time.

To try to summarise my review, speed read the first 100 or so pages, get the background, hang in there through the middle section, don't spend too much time thinking about the internal US intelligence services subplot and get to the excellently crafted finale, where the real action is. For me this is a firmly a three star book - it has many good points and many points for improvement but is enjoyable, if ultimately way too long.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 28 Sep 2009
M. Hepburn (Europe-land) - See all my reviews
Having enjoyed the Bourne trilogy films I took a risk on this at the airport looking for an action novel and trusting the 'Bourne' brand. Eric Van Lustbader disappointed, in fact has written a book that's so bad its laughable, the worst aspects being the ill-informed descriptions of foreign cities and terribly stereo-typical accounts of people from the countries visited in the novel. He might sell well in the US where a tiny proportion of the population have travelled outside of the US, but to us quirky Europeans it smacks of ignorant Americans imagining what dark European cities and peoples are like. I was not expecting the beautiful prose found in some American authors such as Cormac McCarthy, this after all is a populist action series - an 'unputdownable' holiday novel, but there's a line which I suspect most people will draw between acceptable poetic license when scripting fast action and 'boys own' style adventures of goody homespun Americans against 'Johnny foreigner' baddies. What's good about this book? Well it keeps Bourne alive, just, it's a fast moving adventure, but a bit rubbish, and it kept me going until the end, despite my better judgement as the end was even more awful.
You can only read so many books, so I'd urge you to read a bit more in the bookshop and try harder to understand whether its really any good. This was so bad it prompted my first ever book review on Amazon. Rant over...

2.0 out of 5 stars A lot to live up to - and it didn't for me..., 13 Dec 2008
Mr. Jamie D. Strachan (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
The great thing about Jason Bourne as created by Robert Ludlum, and at the same time the greatest problem is that three novels is not enough - you want more and more.

The novels by Eric van Lustbader offer a light at the end of the tunnel for Bourne fans. The problem for me is that its just that - a light at the end of a tunnel that I don't want to go down.

Before I bought this, I had added all the Lustbader Bourne novels to my wish list. I have subsequently removed them as I don't feel they are worth the money.

Don't get me wrong, its not horrendous but there are so many faults and issues I hardly know where to begin.

Aside from all the other issues, gramatically and proof reading wise this was the worst I have ever read - school boy errors, I seriously doubt it was ever proof read.

Lustbader in my view tried to make up for the failings in his writing ability by making an over complicated plot with far too many characters sending you in all different directions, and never mind trying to work it all out, I struggled to keep up with it.

I was deeply disappointed and really wanted to enjoy this book - I was so excited to get it, but I think the best way I can end this review is as follows:

Great stories finish and great characters leave at their peak, making you want more. Ludlum does this - and Lustbader is no Ludlum.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›