5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the Gruffalo and the Gruffalo was...good!
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by John Talbot

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the book
Well, I seem to out of tune with nearly everyone here, but let's face it, this isn't a patch on the book. The story has a wonderful rhythm and momentum when read out loud, but here it is stretched and padded out so much to fill 30 minutes that it loses most of its charm, for me. The delivery is full of odd stresses and over-long pauses, which make it harder, rather than...
Published 20 months ago by Dezmundo

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the Gruffalo and the Gruffalo was...good!, 29 Dec 2009
John Talbot (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
When I first heard that the Gruffalo was to be animated I was filled with a mixture of excitement and tredipidation. Like many other parents, I'm sure that I actually enjoy reading the book as much as (if not more than), my 3 year old loves hearing it and looking at the illustrations. In my mind, I know exactly how mouse, fox, owl and snake sound and, of course, the voice of the mysterious Gruffalo.

I needn't have worried. The casting is spot on: James Corden is cheeky enough for mouse, Tom Wilkinson sneery enough for Fox, John Hurt wise enough for Owl and Rob Brydon a fantastic welsh snake (surely a first). The icing on the cake is Robbie Coltrane as a perfect Gruffalo.

The animation stays very close to the look and feel of the original illustrations and the squirrel storytelling is a nice conceit to retain the wonderful rhymes. Oh, and the music is magical.

Best adaptation I could have hoped for and watched twice in a row by my daughter who loves it. Next year let's hope they also animate the sequel - The Gruffalo's Child - that would be a Christmas treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical veiwing for all, 28 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
We love the original Gruffalo book in our household and so when we saw this was going to be aired on Christmas Day (and later repeated on BBC3 on Boxing Day), we just had to watch it. And we weren't disappointed. In fact I can honestly, hand-on-heart say that this 30 minute animation is the best thing I've seen on TV all year.

It was just magical in both the way the book has been so faithfully animated (not Disneyfied thank goodness!), with beautiful soundtrack too and it kept both my husband and I entranced from start to finish. Sadly my little boy (18months) was in bed already, so I'm thrilled to see that it's being released on DVD.

If you haven't seen it yet, then do catch it on BBC's iplayer while it is available (a week or so?) but if you're shopping once it's been removed, then don't hesitate to buy this on DVD! If you love the book, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars its great, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
i have read this lots of time because i work with chilren now tbh i think i enjoy it more than them, i cart wait for it to come out on dvd cuz ill enjoy watchin it more than reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gruffalo is Grrrrreat!, 30 Dec 2009
Paul Villa "technophile" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
If you liked the book you'll love this adaptation. If you haven't read the book you'll love this adaptation. Let's face it, if you don't love this adaptation then there is something missing from your soul! Beautifully interpreted from both the text and original illustrations, this is an exquisite piece of television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 25 Dec 2009
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I must admit that at my age I am too old to have read 'The Gruffalo', although I have heard of it, and seen the plush monster. I watched this on the off chance that it may be good, and I was glad that I did.

Whether this is faithful to the book I can't say but it is good tv. A squirrel tells her children the story of a mouse in the woods. The mouse is on the search for a nut after a bird steals the one he already has. A fox, an owl and a snake all try to tempt him home with him so that they can eat him. He politely declines on each occasion, telling them that he is on the way to meet a Gruffalo for dinner. When these creatures are told what the Gruffalo looks like, and that they are particular tidbits that he likes they all become scared. Of course the mouse is happy at his cleverness, after all a Gruffalo is just something he made up. Or is it? Can there really be a Gruffalo?

Poor old mouse finds that there is a Gruffalo, and that he is just what the monster likes to eat. With his cunning he tries to persuade the Gruffalo that he is the fiercest and most fearsome animal in the forest, but will the plan work?

This is great fun for little children, but it will probably be enjoyed just as much by adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful interpretation, 2 Jan 2010
C. Jackson (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Having read the book to my two year old daughter nightly for months, i was excited to learn it was to be made into a 30 minute programme by the BBC. Family and friends eagerly sat down to watch it on Christmas Day - it did not disappoint, it was beautifully done. My daughter was glued, waving her hands with excitment when each creature (mouse, fox, owl, snake and Gruffalo) came on the screen! I'd already purchased the cd, with Imelda Staunton, which my daughter also demands to be played on repeat in the car, so i was a little nervous as to whether it would match expectations. Everyone who i have spoken to, who has seen it, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm now hoping to purchase the dvd to send to my niece in New Zeland. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, it would delight adults and children alike. The only addition to the story, that is not in the book, is the narrator - the squirrel (Helena Bonham Carter). The famous voices of James Corden (mouse), Tom Wilkinson (fox), John Hurt (Owl), Rob Brydon (Snake) and Robbie Coltrane (Gruffalo) were excellent, especially James Corden, whose clever mouse had changes of tone and moments of humour to make even the adults laugh. The animation translated the book perfectly and the music (which at times made my daughter jump - all in the right places and was not too scary, especially for a two year old!) was unexpectedly beautiful. This was definately the best thing on TV this Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I have read the Gruffalo (and Gruffalo's child) a million times to my 2 year old boy, and I don't know honestly who loves it more, me or him! When I heard the BBC were doing an adaption which was airing on Christmas Day, I was unsure what to expect. I then heard who the cast were going to be, and I just knew I had to see it!

And see it I have, about 20 times! My son and I watch this almost as often as we read the books and it just doesn't get boring. We even went for a walk in the woods recently to look for the Gruffalo, when we came across a man walking his dog (which was big and reddish), prompting my son to shout we had found the fox to the man. His response? I love the Gruffalo, the adaptation is as good as the book! Phew, he didn't think we were weirdo's (too much).

A superb complement to the book and a must for all kids and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful!, 4 April 2010
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
The Gruffalo has been a long-time favourite in our house. My 4 year old son knows every word and I constantly delight in his character voices as he's reading it. I've had a secret anxiety that something else would come along too soon to take its place (other Donaldson/Scheffler creations excepted as we love them all). We live abroad so are kept abreast of 'the latest' in the UK by his auntie. Then one day the dvd arrived as a total suprise! My kid was blown away. I must admit that I was in awe too. It's fantastic! The animation is spectacular and the soundtrack fits perfectly. The addition of the squirrel mother who is telling the story to her children has added an extra dimension to the tale which my son adores. The opening sequences of the film show the 'shape' of the Gruffalo in the tree stumps etc. and my son saw these immediately! (After he'd gone to bed, I had to rewind the film to see if he was correct). The best thing for me is that the film makers have stuck rigidly to Donaldson's words. Kids take these things to heart and I'm 1000% certain that had they not, this would not be the huge success that it is. (See my Stick Man review?!)

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the book, 23 Mar 2010
E. Ross (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Having read The Gruffalo to my son most days (it is a firm favourite of his), I was so excited to see this on BBC over Christmas. It didn't disappoint. True to the book, with some gorgeous animation and well-selected celebrity voices, it really is a joy. I was really pleased to see that it was coming on DVD (which arrived this morning) because it is lovely to watch, not just for children, but adults too.

The story revolves around a clever - but appetising - little mouse. Off in search of a tasty nut, he goes for a stroll through a deep, dark wood, meeting several characters who want to eat him. He tells them of a Gruffalo - a terrifying creature, who will eat them all ... little do they know that this creature exists only in the imagination of the little mouse. Or does he?

So much fun, the book and the DVD are fantastic. At a nice length of 30 minutes, it's not of a length that would cause young children to lose interest, and is so beautifully done that it will hold the attention of even the most cynical adults.

Well worth it's 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gruffalo DVD, 9 Jan 2011
Ruth Settle "Tufters" (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
An enchanting animation of the much loved book. The characters and story remain true to the book and the music is magical. My 20 month old loves it and at 25 mins long she just has enough attention span to see it through. My husband and I also loved it, a well worthy purchase, no doubt to be watched over and over.

The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009]
The Gruffalo [DVD] [2009] by Max Lang (DVD - 2010)