4.0 out of 5 stars Nice eReader.
This eReader is easy to use and feels nice to hold. It isn't backlit so is more like a book to read and doesn't give eye strain. I've been able to upload ebooks, my word docs, music and photos onto it.

As someone who writes I was hoping it would annotate actually on the document but it doesn't. However the memo section means you can at least write notes about a...
Published on 28 Feb. 2010 by Jane White

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reader, but could be better!
After narrowing it down to a choice between the Sony Touch and the Iriver Story, I have just bought the Iriver, and so far, so good.

I like the fact that you can buy e-books from a variety of publishers and read them on this machine, rather than being tied to a specific (supported) publisher.

The delay when changing a page is not too drastic, and the...
Published on 18 Mar. 2010 by Missy K

3.0 out of 5 stars a good but not perfect gadget, 12 April 2010
This review is from: Iriver Story eBook - eBook reader - Linux - ARM11 533 MHz - ROM: 2 GB - 6" monochrome E Ink ( 800 x 600 ) (Electronics)
The ebook reader does its job pretty well but runs a little slow. I meet few deadlock on my device. In addition, iriver story has a 6inch screen, which is good for txt, epub, and MS Word style documents but poor for a pdf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Any help appreciated please, 29 Mar. 2010
J. Cox "Iriver user" (UK) - See all my reviews
I've received an Iriver for my birthday a few weeks ago and I was extremely excited. However, I'm having difficulty in working out how to download books to it. Do you need to run it via an application like Adobde Digital Editions (although this isn't compatible with the Iriver)? I tried for hours to work it out but have been unsuccessful. Any tips would be very much appreciated as I really want to use it.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me, 2 Jun. 2010
M. Thiessen (Germany) - See all my reviews
I'm really pleased with this e-book. I don't rate myself a big tech geek, and often I've got problems with instructions, softwares and menus. However this thing is easy to operate and I downloded a lot of books from the Gutenberg library. The machine is good to use and I'm really glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ebook Reader, 27 Nov. 2009
Ann Montgomery "Ann M" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
Received 1 of these as a birthday present, I was sceptical at first but once I got used to the completely different sensation of reading from its screen I love it, very easy to use and download the books, if only the price of the books was cheaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars good and ok, 3 Mar. 2014
My wife bought two of these ereaders that is one each. Within a month or so her one went a bit dodgy. That is the screen display went crazy with broken uo display view until it died completely. It had not taken a fall or damaged in any way. Amazon said it was to be returned to the seller and took no further interest in the case.
It cost my wife approx €60 to have it repaired as the seller said we were to return it to the manufacturer and they said the fault was not covered by warrenty. Could not determine exactly why it went faulty as we both happened to be there when the display went haywire. Anyhow on its return it remained in the box to this day. So be carefull whom you buy from and if Amazon will support a return/refund of a particular item.
My unit ob the other hand is still working though it doesn't get as much use it still does what it is supposed to.
I like the fact you can play music on it as you can really get absorbed in a book and with the headphones inserted you can close out any distractions.
It is a good basic simplle ereader. Other ones like our kindles and kobos and tablets are far superior and now are better value but the iriver is like having that spare cheap mobile/cell phone for those occassions when you don't mind what happens to it. I still use mine as a back up and like reading more than one book over the same period of time it is a reasonable alternative. As all ereaders have limitations re internal and external memory it is good to have an alternative to perhaps keep part of your collection on to make them instantly available.
The iriver is such an item. It is cheaper it is basic but has the ability to play music. It is ok to read which is what it is designed for and if you haven't used one before then it is great to start with.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 6 Aug. 2011
I am very disappointed with these features of the procuct.

pdf User Manual is not searchable as it is image only.
for a 63 page document this is very poor. There are no hyperlinks in the contents or index and you can't even find what you want by entering the term in the Adobe searchbox.

of the common ebook formats the device only accepts .epub and cannot read .lit, .mobi, .rft, .htm, .lrf
in addition there is no software provided to convert these formats into one the Story can display

I bought the Story as I thought that I could play an audio book version of the same book that I was reading.
I found that to my great disappointment that the navigation for audio books whose individual files may well exceed 1 hour in length is very inadequate. There is no easy way to navigate around a long audio book. The user only has the backward, forward and pause/stop/replay buttons. It is excruciating slow to attempt to fast forward or reverse through a file of 1 hour or longer. The graphical indication is very poor, I did'nt even notice it at first; there is no indication of the current position. Frequently the fast forward button did not respond at all. Unlike dedicated mp3 players the device has a large screen for showing output and lots of buttons to facilitate different functions. Why were these not used to allow adequate navigation? I don't want to listen to short music tracks on the Story - who would, its a reader.

When reading a book, if I use the Search button I cannot enter spaces so as a consequence can only search for single words. Is this a software error or by design? The value of the search function over and above bookmarks is that you can listen to an audio book; select a likely unique phrase and seach the text of the print book to find your place. This way you can switch from listenning to the book to reading it again.

The largest font would be too small for someone with visual impairment to read - ie it is smaller than the standard size of large print books.

The Wifi only allows you to connect to the WH Smith, not to your own PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars P Giddings, 11 Nov. 2009
Ntp UK LTD - See all my reviews
picked up 1 of these in Korea recently on a business trip delighted to be able to get them in the UK as an absolute joy to use and needed 3 more for family members who love mine so much they won't give it back

1.0 out of 5 stars Iriver Story eBook wi-fi version, 12 Mar. 2011
Bought this new and sealed from Waterstones. Had everything I needed, sound, -intended to use as a an aid to a language course. A touch-screen and wi-fi and, at less than £100 was thinking it was a steal... how wrong can you be? As remarked elsewhere, no indication the device is connected to a PC and with no charge indicator it is hard to know if the bl**dy thing is working. Tried to follow the small instruction booklet without success. Eventually, managed to get to the PDF Manual file only to find it in gibberish - cyrilic type. Persevered for over two days with the device sticking whilst trying to get my personal details set-up. Continually switching itself off. Tried resetting/re-boot to see if it would clear the fault... NOPE! Gave up in disgust and returned for refund which was a hassle as i-river want to know the reason and all sorts of personal info before authorising any refund, so be warned. In fairness, the WS store personnel were OK and did their utmost to help. Amazon are perhaps more liberal if things do go wrong. For the price, the concept and things you could do with this device, if it worked would be a winner if only the software was as well thought out. Still in the market for an e-reader but the i-river is definitely off my shopping list.iriver Cover Story EB05 6" Touch Screen Ebook reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, inexpensive e-reader; fully functional, 29 April 2012
Truman Combs (PHOENIX, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
Love the thing, and love the new case I got for mine.
If you need a reliable e-reader, at a reasonable price, this is what you're looking for!

To compliment your new device, think about picking one of these inexpensive Belkin cases too; it prevents damage and looks great!

I got mine here:

[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with bugs: unusable with PDFs, 3 Dec. 2009
The PDF support riddled with bugs and is virtually unusable. I have a Hadoop book in PDF from O'Reilly. On my Mac, the heading on page 22 says "Hadoop at Yahoo!". The same book on the iriver Story says: "I beppq!bu!Zpp #". When I try to navigate through the PDF, it hangs (no buttons respond) then after a few seconds the reader resets.

Bleeding edge. Forget it and buy a Kindle instead.