5.0 out of 5 stars I DREAMED A DREAM
GREAT CD BY SUSAN BOYLE, LOVE HER MUSIC AND BOUGHT IT FROM AMAZON AS IT WAS CHEAPER AND THE AMAZON SERVICE IS JUST 1ST CLASS THANK YOU THIS CD IS SO LOVELY HER WORDS ARE SO CLEAR NICE TO HEAR WHAT SHE IS SINGING ABOUT,LOVE IT.
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by d clark

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING DEBUT ALBUM
There was a time not that long ago when everyone involved in a recording session assembled in a studio, the sound engineer sat in the control booth, and away they went. But not any more, apparently. The credits for Susan Boyle's first CD state "Mixed by Ren Swan. Recorded and mixed at Rokstone Studios, London". So far, so good, but they continue "Strings recorded at Air...
Published on 31 Jan 2010 by Barry McCanna

5.0 out of 5 stars I DREAMED A DREAM, 13 Sep 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! This is a seriously good album., 20 Nov 2009
David Lusher (London England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
This is a seriously good album from a lady with loads of vocal talent - this is going to be a global smash hit. Susan's performances are just sublime and the arrangements are perfect. 'Wild Horses' is simply wonderful, but there is much more. Susan has a great range, but her smoky, bluesy lower register comes to the fore here ('Cry Me River' is superb). 'How Great Thou Art' has a purity that Enya would be proud of. The joy goes on - there is not a duff track on this album. I predict it will go straight to No. 1 in the charts on both sides of the Atlantic and beyond. A MUST buy (and I really mean that!)

Stop Press (14 Dec): Susan achieved the No. 1 slot in Britain and the USA with record sales of her album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Did Not Disappoint Her Fans, 27 Dec 2009
R. Peters (Marbella - Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
I have had the CD on order for many months and two days ago it arrived. With anticipation I slipped it into the car stereo system and waited. It seemed to take forever to load but it was in fact a few seconds. Cue music!
With a great deal of surprise I listened to the first CD release from the 'Britain's Got Talent' Superstar Susan Boyle. I had been expecting something remarkable, and I was not disappointed as she started to sing 'Wild Horses'.

As you listen to the songs, you could be forgiven for thinking she is a long established professional like Lena Horne or Shirley Bassey. To think that this very ordinary (to some people a bit quirky) Scottish spinster of 48 who, according to the Press couldn't handle the pressure, has triumphed over her critics once again.
It was no great surprise to me that this first album has been met with a storm of praise from her fans, and has set records for first day and first week sales.
Looking at the effect the 'Hollywood' treatment has had on her appearance on the album sleeve photo's, I was immediately happy for her. Now, after a hairdo, a bit of makeup and a lovely dress, she looks every inch a star.
When I looked at the song list I was a little surprised at some of the songs included. In particular, I thought at first the inclusion of 'Daydream Believer', an uptempo pop song from The Monkees (1967) may have been a mistake. I could not imagine Susan's voice being able to do it justice as a 'Pop' song. Thankfully when it started to play I realised I should not have worried. With a skillful musical arrangment, the song was delivered in a style that suited her voice, and she certainly didn't let anyone down.
The same can be said for her rendition of the Carpenter's 'End of the World', so beautifully performed by Karen Carpenter so many years ago.
There are also two songs with a religious theme on the album, namely; 'Amazing Grace' and 'How Great Thou Art'. Both were delivered with a professionalism that was astounding. In particular, I found Susan's rendition of 'How Great Thou Art' haunting to say the least. The use of studio techniques gave the impression she was singing in Westminster Cathedral, and the affect was electrifying.
I also enjoyed 'You'll See' which if you listen to the words, seems to be a message for the cowardly Press who have dogged her every move, making up stories that later proved untrue.
Although all of the songs were wonderful, for me the best was one she used to sing in the Working Men's Club in her hometown many years ago (See U-Tube); 'Cry Me A River'.
After all the sniggers and outright laughter prior to her starting to sing on 'Britain's Got Talent', after all the back-stabbing typical of the British Press, I am glad she has shown her critics that she is a real star, well worthy of the title.

Sing On Susan! Your audience is the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was gobsmacked, 25 Nov 2009
iGlad "iGlad" (Manchester, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
I was very apprehensive about her album as i thought they have her sing pap and we'd never hear from the dear lady again! However it's a little twee in places but I think the album's worth buying just for her version of "Cry Me a River' whoever selected that song was a genius! each time i hear it I go nah it's not her. However "Up to the Mountain" will have grown men crying as it's just so moving. Not all of the songs are for me but it's far better than Leona Lewis's debut album which I found hard to listen to despite her having a great song. "Amazing Grace" is done quite well as you can hear her scottish twang coming thru in the song perfect! I'd love to have heard a couple of slightly uptempo tracks as I think she'd love to do a big band number. " Who was I born to be" grows on me and I'm glad they let you hear her voice and not drown it out with the instrumentation. "Proud" I thought it was Eva Cassidy singing it or one of those US country singers. She's not the worlds best singers but she sings very well within her range but this might sound a bit far fetched but there's something quite spiritual about her voice that sort of makes your stomach get butterflies. I know this will sell by the truckload and I wish the lady the very best for the future. It's a tremendous debut album better than some of the tosh Cowell and co have rushed out. Like I said the album will make a grown man cry!!

As for those who gave it 1star it just shows how small-minded and poisonous you really are oh please keep those snakes ( the UK press) well away from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...stunning debut!, 23 Nov 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
Will anybody ever forget the weekend they sat down to watch Britain's Got Talent when Susan Boyle walked onto the stage? I will never forget the laughter and looks from the audience before she sang. The look on people's faces when she belted out the first line of "I Dreamed A Dream" was a classic, unforgettable piece of live television.
And now here comes Susan's highly anticipated debut album! I am so glad Susan got the chance to fulfill her dream of being a professional singer because with a voice like hers she certainly deserves it. This album is absolutely fantastic. The opening track, "Wild Horses" is packed full of emotion and sends shivers through me everytime I hear it. I listened to the original Rolling Stones version yesterday and IMO, Susan's version surpasses it by miles!
Other big highlights on this album for me are of course, the song that made her famous "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables, "I Climbed A Mountain" (awesome gospel-induced track which really shows the diversity of Susan's voice), "Who I Was Born To Be" and "Proud" are great tracks. If I had to pick my least fave tracks they would be "Daydream Believer" and "Amazing Grace", although they are not bad whatsoever. By far my fave so far is Susan's awesome cover of Madonna's "You'll See" - the sheer power and emotion in the vocals put together with a fantastic orchestral arrangement really touches the heart. Simply beautiful. If I had one dissapointment with this album, it would be the ommision of "Memory" from Cat's, which she performed in the semi-finals. Was really hoping Susan would record it for this album.
Overall, a fine fine debut from probably the most famous person in Britain this year! Well done Susan - i'm looking forward to a follow up already!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasures #005, 29 Nov 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
150 reviews and counting. Crikey I'm thinking!
That I heard this album at all is down to Audrey
(our cave-keeper and vole-what-does).
She came to me last week in a state of high excitement
and insisted that I listened to Mme Boyle's debut forthwith.

So I did.

I have some small experience of her from a televisual
perspective (how could any of us have avoided it this year)
and there can be no doubt that she deserves her moment
in the sun. An ugly duckling story for the new millennium
if ever there was one.

Now that all the hubbub has died down we now have an
opportunity to sit back and attempt an evaluation away
from the tabloid glare which threatened to engulf her.

'I Dreamed A Dream' is an extraordinary album.
My every cell screams out that I should not think it so
but frankly I am gobsmacked by its accomplishment!

Mmme Boyle has an absolutely stunning instrument at her
disposal. It is a truly fine voice. Pitch-perfect;
expressive and imbued with a distinctive and immediately
recognisable character. She really doesn't sound like
anyone else. A true original.

This collection of twelve songs contains many old warhorses
which might raise a groan if you only read the titles
without daring to take a few cautious steps further.
Her ability to reinvent this material and put her stamp
upon it deserves our unreserved admiration.

Kicking off with Jagger and Richards' 'Wild Horses' is a
master(mistress?)stroke. The arrangement is stunning.
Her ability to weigh each word and note and pull the
heart of this great song into a shape befitting her own
vision is both believable and very moving.

'I Dreamed A Dream' from Les Miserables is given a
graceful and well-paced rendition. It is the song
which brought her, deservedly, to the world's
attention and she is clearly having the time of her
life re-creating it again here.

Her take on Arthur Hamilton's 'Cry Me A River' is given
a laid-back jazzy treatment, exposing yet another facet
of her expressive range. The lady can sing the blues too!

'How Great Thou Art' is a risky inclusion but Mme Boyle
pulls it off. It's a big production with a gospel choir
and lots of celestial reverb but her simple and honest
delivery rides above that which might have swamped her
with glowing sincerity.

The arrangement and performance of 'Daydream Believer'
is well paced and spaced and allows the voice room to shine.
It is a complete joy !

'Who I Was Born To Be' is another stunner.
Somewhat redolent of Mme Midler and nothing wrong with that.
So too 'Proud', another sublimely focussed performance.

If I had to pick a favorite I think I'd have to pitch
for 'The End Of The World'. Raw, vulnerable and utterly
credible. It is a world-class interpretation.

I came to this project with considerable doubt;
I leave convinced and totally converted.

Steve Mac's marvelous production gives this new
Diva nothing less than she deserves.

I never through I'd hear myself saying this but...Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing and delightful!, 3 Dec 2011
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
This CD gave me a lot of pleasure. It is very relaxing music, and I found I could listen to it again and again without getting bored. Susan Boyle's vocal range is astonishingly broad and anything she sings appears to be perfectly adapted to her voice.Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars chris301, 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
Not a lover of the woman but oh what a voice and how she can invoke such feeling into these songs, she manages to make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Great cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jawdroppingly BRILLIANT album, 13 Dec 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed A Dream (MP3 Download)
There are some superb reviews on this thread so there's little point adding to them. All I will say is that a) I buy loads of music downloads from Amazon and I've NEVER felt the need to leave a music review before; and b) I was determined NEVER to line Simon Cowell's pockets.

I made an exception for Susan Boyle after one of my friends raved about this album, and now I'm raving about it too. I LOVE it. It's soulful, melodic and moving. It's an object lesson in never judging a book by its cover. Susan Boyle has an incredible voice, simultaneously spiritual and sexy, and her covers may only be covers, but blimey they're good. Her 'Amazing Grace' is, quite simply, the very best I've ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars I dreamed a Dream and mine came true, 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed a Dream (Audio CD)
I have religiously followed the whole Susan Boyle saga ever since her first appearance on Britains Got Talent. Little did I know one of her CD's will be sitting on my coffee table.

And well worthy of it. She is an absolute fresh breeze in my collection of CD's. I have always dreamed of acquiring a cd and be happy with it to be in my cd player. It came true. Trouble is, she will never ever be ejected! She is there for ever. What a lovely voice this lady has. What a lovely story she has.

What a lovely person she is!

Her voice sounds like someone aged 16. She is talented. For sure. Oh I am so happy with this cd!

Thank you Simon Cowell. Thank you Susan Boyle.

God bless.