4.0 out of 5 stars It does what I need it for...
Published on 23 Sept. 2010 by Ian Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Product
This is a frustrating product. At the price I understood it is not a proper NAS, I already have a good NAS, but I only wanted this for a simple task and that is to host a Network share to have scheduled backups saved from my NAS.

The product only supports FAT32, but at the price I would not mark it down for that.

Where I have had problems is in the...
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by Cr Gibbs

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what I need it for..., 23 Sept. 2010
Ian Johnson (Wells) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
I bought this as a replacement for Sharkoon - NetworkAdapter for USB Device - 4 Ports - USB LANPort 400, as that item was not a true NAS device as it seemed to imply. This one however, seems to be doing exactly what I want - I now have it connected up to my network with a 500GB USB hard drive attached, to which all the family's computer's can connect so it is true "always on" shared storage.

After a few failed connections, once I'd managed to connect to its web interface setting it up was fairly straightforward. Being a fairly primitive Samba server setup you have to format it through the device, and sharing a folder seems to work well (if a little unintuitively to us non-Linux users!). The only downside appears to be that it formats the drive as FAT32, which means I won't be able to share files larger than 4GB. This has not been a problem so far, but I do have some extremely large files on my server which will obviously have to stay on there.

It also has a built-in BitTorrent client and FTP server so you can apparently download torrents automatically (not of much use to me as I seldom use that). The FTP server is a useful facility though, as I used to have one running on my server before it got too expensive to keep on all the time, so that I could access files from work.

All-in-all, were it not for the FAT32 problem I would have given it 5 stars, but otherwise it's just what I needed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Product, 15 Mar. 2013
Cr Gibbs "clivegibbs" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)

Where I have had problems is in the following areas:

1. I can create shares OK, but I can only read them from My Windows 7 PC, My other devices can see the drive (PS3, XBOX etc) but say the folders are empty, even though I have put suitable small video clips in the right folders, shared properly etc.

2. My Android device could see the device on the LAN, now it cannot. Yet other devices still do.

3. FTP and SMB seem to have some problem

4. My NAS can also not see the device unless I set up as external FTP and then it still can't write to it.

5. The shares seem to lose their permissions - I can access, then I can't, then I can again. The password is accepted then not accepted, then I get an error message and then it appears OK again with no intervention. I have taken all passwords off and still get some issues.

Overall, this device will not allow me to do what I want with it. It will allow me to have a USB drive on the network I have tried all manner of things and it won't do any more than that, which is a shame.

I am going to have to reset the device and start again, but I have already spent hours trying to get this to work and I think it is buggy and unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
I bought this as a way to avoid paying for a large NAS drive that are normally priced over $200, as I already had the HDD, all i needed was the adapter.

The set up is fairly simple, would pay to have some networking knowledge, but the instructions are very well laid out and simplistic.

there were a couple of things that caught me out, but they're fairly simple to comprehend, again the manuals really are very useful.

Excellent little product, It hasn't failed me once and i've had it running since i bought it

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 4 April 2013
A. Owen - See all my reviews
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
The installation of this unit was fine and my computer saw the external drive. However every time I tried to access it I got asked for a Windows Network password, something that my computer doesn't have, as far as I am aware. The support staff at Addionics tried to come up with solutions but to no avail so I have had to take the device out of circuit and go back to an old Linksys unit which works fine and without asking for any password. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but sadly the unit wasn't simply plug and play.

3.0 out of 5 stars can't access upnp files..., 8 July 2012
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
works as a samba share ok,
but i can't get any upnp clients on my ipod to access mp3s on it... have tried a bunch of them (MLPlayer lite, DKPlayerFree, AceMusic). Anyone got any clues?
If your drive's fat32 already you don't need to reformat it, just move all the files you want into PUBLIC.
torrent client doesn't have time scheduling so i can't confine it to night times when my bandwidth is unmetered :(

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice little device - easy to set-up and does what it says!, 10 Sept. 2012
Mr. A. Azar "Azz" (UK Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
I didn't want to spend the money on NAS drive - I think the prices are crazy, so what I was after was access to a network drive (24/7), small enough to hide in my shoe cupboard and this did the trick!

I brought a 320GB HDD and this for a total cost of £68...

So I have been able to access content from my XBOX360, IPAD, Laptops.... Whala.. Cheap as chips!!

Some hints and tips :

1) In order to get the Media server service working, create 3 directories "Photos", "Videos", "Pictures" within the "Guest" account.
2) Under the media services menu make sure you share those directories.
3) Data transfer to the NAS drive can be slow, so I would recommend (when you have done steps 1-2), to disconnect the USB drive from the nas adapter and copy all your files into the right directories from via a laptop (with the USB drive plugged in) and thne re-attach it to the NAS adapter. It will save you a whole load of time.

Pros

- If you have an xbox360 - you can stream video, pictures and music via the NAS to your xbox360
- Simple interface with user/directory security
- Its cheap and does what it says on the tin.

Cons

- Only supports FAT32
- Does not support DLNA
- Can be a bit slow sometimes
- No resliance

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cost effective NAS solution, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
At first I had a few problems getting this to perform well and sent an email asking for returns advice as I was sure it was faulty. However after a bit more investigation I discovered the problem was my own network switch. Within an hour of my message posted through Amazon I had a phone call from Gordon at Aimtec offering to help. Unfortunately I missed that call so phoned them back and got straight through to a charming receptionist who informed me that Gordon had just popped out, so I left my name. Shortly after I had another call from Gordon and I was happy to inform him I'd sorted out my problem and the unit was working fine. I am now delighted with this little NAS adapter, which is proving to be an effective low cost solution to making my music and photo's available on my networked devices. It's actually pretty easy to set up and the data transfer speeds are reasonable - I was able to transfer my 25GB music library in around 40 minutes. But mostly I've been impressed by the level of responsiveness and courtesy I've received from this company. It was a pleasure to deal with real human beings. Thank you so much!

1.0 out of 5 stars Intermittent fault, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
It is a great idea and would be great only if it could work. Easy to set up, that is a very important point because you will need to set it up almost every time you are using this adaptor, more if you are using it over a long period of time and format your hard drive very often. The support from Addonics is great but when the product doesn't work there isn't much they can do really!
I'm using the adaptor on an hard drive to share my music, so very simple application, the adaptor is definitely not good enough to do that. I didn't try the rest of the functionalities I tried for two weeks to get it running in a stable way now I'm giving up this will go to the bin, £35 for nothing!
Also I tried a few different hard drives, no improvement so the issue is the adaptor.

I give it a star because when it works (for about 30 min ish) it is a great little product.

Please Mr Addonics improve the adaptor, get it to work properly and contact me I'd buy it again if only you could get it to do what it says on the tin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low cost way of getting a NAS drive, 3 April 2015
Mr. R. Hill "Bob" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
I didn't know if this would work - I wanted a cheap way of converting a USB hard drive I already had into a NAS drive so I could connect it to my SONOS. It works really well. It's a little bit involved in setting up - You don't have to be a computer expert and the instructions are good but you need to know a little (it's probably the same for any NAS drive anyway), so overall, really pleased with it

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to set up on a mac. Gave up. Requests your hard drive to be formatted., 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps (Electronics)
Difficult to set up on a mac and the instructions provided are not useful . Gave up in the end. Flimsy plastic case which falls apart leaving the bare circuit board to be visible. Don't expect to connect your hard drive with per written data to be accessible as it immediately requests it to be formatted.

NAS adapter for USB 2.0 storage 10/100Mbps