Format: Blu-rayChange

on 5 May 2015
A movie showing off amazing cinematography and all the ingredients needed to make an awesome movie, action, beautiful people, mystery and simply astounding Old London streets and backgrounds.
Unfortunately I did not get sucked into the storyline with great conviction, it felt as if the director wanted to impress with his dizzying visual skills but not make me care about the characters one way or another, and so I was entertained by grandiose graphics but I observed impassionately and my curiosity was not aroused very much at all. I found it a bit of waste to be honest, too fast and impersonal to really care about the plot.
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2010
After enjoying almost every second of the brilliantly modernised (and brilliantly realized) recent BBC series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, I approached Guy Ritchie's version with less than high hopes. And, no, I don't think he does match the brilliance of Mark Gatiss's vision. But, on the whole, I'd say Robert Downey Jr's interpretation of the character is deliciously unhinged, arguably more endearing than Benedict Cumberbatch's and almost as much fun. And the period recreation is sumptuous, if a little fairytale-like. (Except when it is necessarily decrepit!)
Jude Law makes a likeable-enough Watson, although Martin Freeman's was far superior. And Rachel McAdams provides a feisty-enough (though wearingly inevitable) love-interest. The plot is a Hollywoodized bit of nonsense which may amount to some sort of sacrilege for the Conan Doyle purist, but manages to incorporate quite a bewildering amount of fin-de-siecle preoccupations and sensibilities and philosophies in quite a virtuoso way. Throw in some quite exuberant acting from all the major players (and most of the minor ones too!), plenty of Illuminati/conspiracy theory-references, a number of preposterous fight scenes and chases and a large dose of quasi-Victorian Spiritualism and what we're left with is a pretty bonkers mess. But it is an entertaining mess. A rollercoaster ride of a film which, whilst not exactly amounting to very much, does have a lot to recommend it and feels as if it was lovingly crafted. A superior blockbuster then with just about enough wit and chutzpah and energy to make it memorable. Whether the whole mise-en-scene created by Ritchie can sustain a bunch of sequels remains to be seen. I somehow doubt it. In the meantime, you could do worse than spending a couple of hours watching Robert Downey Jr at his bravura best.
VINE VOICEon 11 July 2013
This might not be the best thing to watch if you have a preconceived idea of Holmes and Watson from the books or the classic "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (1939) with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. You do not want to besmirch the image.

Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) in this presentation is just as observant as usual but is better informed of different disciplines that the original. He uses wily disguises and beautiful women to accomplish his goal of detecting and foiling the cunning bad guys. This looks like the pilot for a series or at least the beginning of a film series.

Dr. Watson (Jude Law) is more of second Holms but a different set of bad habits. He saves Holmes' bacon several times. However, Watson wants to go his own way and settle down with his newfound love Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams.)

This looks like the pilot for a series or at least the beginning of a film series. Holmes is bantering with the insidious Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong) who has recently risen from the dead and is determined to create a new world order. Little does he know that they are all pawns in a larger scheme by "you know who." Oh, all right I will say it Professor Moriarty.

Keep watching as the final credits role by. It is nice to see that they tie the names of the character and the actors together with pictures of the characters. I cannot stand disembodies names scrolling by. The is a picture of a naked man, handcuffed to the bead and the caption "Costumes Designer Jenny Beavan"

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

They Might Be Giants
VINE VOICEon 26 December 2011
I really wanted to love this film, and there are many elements of it that are very likable - the fact it's Guy Ritchie, the presence of a cast of excellent actors and a plot that is as sophisticated as any Conan Doyle story, whilst being refreshingly different.

I wanted to love it, but somehow it doesn't quite press all the buttons.

What I will say of it is, although it starts off a jumbled mess, the villain and the plot gradually deliver a very enjoyable film. It's almost like watching a good B-movie, in that there is a lot there to satisfy the mind, but somehow all the interesting pieces do not come together as a symphony.

As a matter of fact, it could be put down to the choice of lead actors. Although the extras make much of the chemistry between the two, somehow Robert Downey's mumbling portrayal of Holmes and Jude Law's ordinary performance of Watson don't quite cut the mustard.
In fact, the supporting cast of Rachel Mcadams (as Holmes' love interest), Hans Matheson (as Home Secretary) but most of all Mark Strong (as Lord Blackwood) outshine the two leads and make you wish that their performances had made for a classic film.

Maybe the film would have worked if Benedict Cumberbatch,David Tennant or a myriad of other combinations had been the leads (answers on a postcard, please).

As it is, though it has many things right, it doesn't quite work. That said, having viewed it twice, there is enough in the plot and some of the performances to warrant repeat viewings...

P.S. On a side note, if you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, and wants something different and new, do give this a go: Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Zombie Death Monkeys
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
`Sherlock Holmes' is related to the Conan Doyle books in name only and it is best to look at this film as an action film set in the Victorian era. If you think of it in this way you can enjoy it for what it is and not be disappointed if you are a fan of the Holmes series of books. This follows Holmes and Watson as they investigate a series of murders linked to a black magic order and although the plot is a little weak in places it still has plenty of thrills and spills to keep you entertained. Both Law and Downey Jr play their roles well, even if there does seem to be a distinct homosexual undercurrent to their relationship and they make a good crime fighting team. The actress whom plays Watson's love interest is rather wooden and lacking in any real dynamic, but this cannot be said for Holmes love interest (played by Rachel McAdams) who plays her role with a touch of humour and real spark. The London scenes are very good and this is quite an atmospheric film. This came across initially like a martial arts film set during the Victorian era (in fact one of the extras on the disc focuses upon this aspect) and the fight scenes are both comical and action filled. This film is most definitely made with tongue in cheek and doesn't take itself too seriously and whilst it is blatantly set up for a sequel, in this instance I eagerly await what they will do with this franchise. This is a light hearted, period set action film and it carries this off with aplomb and makes for an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 15 May 2015
I have loved all the Sherlock Holmes books for as long as I can remember. I find this film franchise an insult to all Fans of Sir Authur Conan Doyle. There are so many modern takes on Sherlock Holmes in tv and film, and I suppose it brings the great detective to a wider audience , but they are not for me. I think the real fans of Sherlock Holmes would appreciate the Granada tv series filmed in the 1980s and 1990s which stars the great Jeremy Brett .this was a much truer portrayal of the worlds most famous detective before modern Hollywood exploited it.
on 17 May 2010
Just a pointer to the amazing quality of the acting in Sherlock Holmes, when I first watched this I didn't realise that Holmes was played by an American (well done on a very convincing accent Downey Jr). I wish I could have seen it twice because this film is so full of banter, actions and beautifully pitched characters that you couldn't possibly catch everything on the first viewing.
Ok, so it's not the traditional image of the famous pair, but having now read the books I can see just how true this film is to the original stories. It jumps between action, the serious and the comedy and has something that everyone can enjoy. There are so many quotes from the books and Holmes and Watson's relationship is played out perfectly by Downey Jr and Law. It might not be your grandparent's idea of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson but it's a fresh view and it's certainly worth the watch, this new action-hero Holmes appealed to both me and my parents. What can I say? Roll on the next one!
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2010
I've been wanting to see this new Sherlock since it came out but I was massively dissapointed by the time the film ended.
I'm a massive Sherlock fan and for me, this film just didn't capture Sherlock's true essence. The plot was a bit rubbish given previous Sherlock plots and the portrayal of Holmes himself was nothing short of schizophrenia. I always thought Holmes much above the rest of humanity at the time his exploits were set and I couldn't help but feel that Guy Ritchie had turned one of my literary heroes into nothing more than a schizophrenic vivisector.
The fight scenes were billed as some of the best we would see for some time and I found them short and generally lacking in excitement. The plot wasn't dissimilar to Dan Brown's Solomon Key which I thought was a totally wrong choice of plot.
This film seemed to be nothing more than a mix of National Treasure and Snatch. Really rubbish.
My only relief was Jude Law as Watson, who was amusing and had depth to his character but even then, he wasn't true Watson.
I really am massively dissapointed and wished I'd never bothered buying this film now. It was all Hollywood hype and nothing more.
on 17 March 2014
Don't think of deerstalkers and pipes, this is a different take on Sherlock. But it's a lot of fun and does show the brave side of Conan Doyle's character, not simply the ponderous thinker.
on 28 June 2010
Though this well known phrase is not actually used in the film, Sherlock Holmes continues to be one of the best purchases I have ever made (right up there with the Kurt Geiger boots I bought on sale! Girls, you all know how highly this means I rate the item!) It was an absolutely fantastic DVD and though I have not read any of Arthur Conan Doyle's books, you didn't need to be an afficiando to thoroughly enjoy the storyline. It was gripping, action packed, and above all hilarious. Robert Downey Jnr perfectly delivers an English accent as the detective marvel who uses unconventional methods to uncover and foil the plot of Lord Blackwood, played by a sinsterly excellent Mark Strong. And the romance in the story line? I'm not talking about Holmes' love interest, Irene Adler, but the beautiful 'bromance' between the detective and his refreshingly normal Doctor, played by the fantastic Jude Law. If this film doesn't appear to be your cup of tea, then the line "Would you like to go to Don Giovanni tonight?" Punches him on the nose. "So its a no to the opera then?!" never fails to amuse me!