Format: DVDChange

on 31 May 2010
My first reaction when I heard Robert Downey Jnr and Jude Law were cast as; Holmes and Watson, respectively was one of literal horror. It couldn't work, " I thought," but it did work and worked beautiful too.
There was enough action for any die-hard action fan, special effects were very good too, I have heard there will be a sequel and I am now looking forward to it.
The sights of London's Old East-End were magnificent, an excellent re-production of what must've been an incredible time and place to live. Well done to all concerned.
0Comment2 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2010
Me and a friend went to the cinema to see a chick flick which unfortunately we couldn't see so we decided to see this film. I wouldn't have chosen to see it otherwise. However, I am so glad we did. I even went back to see it again with my boyfriend as I enjoyed it so much. I didn't think it would be any good at all but it was funny, smart and well casted. I will buy this for my Dad for father's day as an excuse to buy it! Love it. Who would have thought they could make it as exciting? Set in the the right period and detail is perfect.
on 2 July 2010
A good movie but like so many others recently underwhelming but raised a smile a couple of times, is sherlock holmes meant to be funny? i suppose so this time.
on 27 June 2010
The Sherlock Holmes dvd was an excellent movie. The performances were sharp although sometimes a little too quickly spoken. Fast paced and held my attention.
on 9 July 2010
This is a great movie, full of action and great special effects. It packs a punch against those old style Sherlock Holmes movies of old. Well worth a look.
on 24 March 2014
We really enjoyed watching this over christmas, although I think it took three attempts due to people drinking too much and forgetting it was on!
on 15 April 2014
Entertaining and well written story, fantastic actors and great visual effects. All in all, a wonderful experience. Highly recommended. Enjoy!
on 19 July 2010
just such a brilliant film -- one of the best around, holmes reminds me of a bit like captain sparrow (depp)in pirates of the carribean -- great stuff !!
i think most people will enjoy this tongue in cheek film.
on 22 September 2010
After all the excellent reviews I read on Amazon, I had been looking forward to watching this latest Holmes adaptation. Unfortunately, I felt an urge to stop wathcing this film having viewed it half-way through already and having viewed it for a second time confirmed my first impresssion. As a Shelock Holmes afficionado who has read every single Holmes story at least three times and has seen all film adaptations available I am deeply disappointed at this shallow and completely senseless interpretation.
0Comment14 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2010
I received this dvd before it was on sale in the shops and I have to say it felt great knowing I had it before anyone could buy it from Sainbury's.

When we watched this, we were laughing within minutes, brilliant family viewing, great for a night in with the fondue set and popcorn.

Thanks Amazon, your service and delivery is great, It really takes the hard work out of shopping.