We have had this Sharp R270 microwave for a few months and are delighted with it. It is well finished and its muted silver finish blends into our kitchen very well. The category E power rating puts it in the top category for a domestic microwave. The interior is finished in a cream enamel.

Despite its compact dimensions this oven can take a largish dinner plate comfortably. The only thing to watch out for is if you cook boil-in-the-bag rice, or soups, just remember to fold over the top of the packet. Even if you forget, they'll still cook, but, the packet could foul on the roof of the oven and result in uneven heating because the turntable hasn't rotated the product. This is not a significant problem and a fact common to most compact ovens with turntables.

The touch controls are simple to operate and there are a wide range of "presets" for items such as tea/coffee reheat, pasta/pizza, frozen meals, vegetables and even popcorn! There is also a weight based defrost and cook function. We have found the cooking to be effective - even and consistent with the recommended cooking time for the product concerned.

The blue display is clear, although, I understand the view of some other reviewers who think it odd that no clock is displayed in idle mode. This expectation though is only a product of our conditioning, we buy microwaves to cook and clocks to tell us the time!

It is amazing how the price of these sorts of products have tumbled over the decades, and, yet, the precision and sophistication has increased so much. With this Sharp oven you are getting a quality product that will probably last a decade for around the price of a basket of shopping!

We are pleased with the features, quality and cooking performance of this oven. Recommended.
22 comments| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2010
We have been very pleased with the Sharp Solo Microwave, its easy to use,efficient, extremely smart to look at, in fact there is nothing bad to say about it at all.This is the first 'touch button' microwave we have had and are able now to set an exact time for cooking meals etc,its so quick and easy with this one.Really glad we bought this and would recommend it.
on 9 January 2010
works a treat. have a look on the "Sharp" website before you buy. its a lot more informative about this product.
as a microwave - it does exactly what it says on the tin.

only gripe. the blasted clock! (it does not have a clock feature) but the colon ':' keeps flashing and there's nothing you can do to stop it!!
minor thing, but one of those that's likely to niggle away at you!! especially as its bright blue.
22 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2010
This microwave looks good and does what it says on the tin, no problems so far, has all the facilities you would expect - except perhaps a clock. However, this means you aren't tempted to leave it plugged in all the time. If you want a clock, buy a clock, this is a microwave and it does that job very well.
on 23 November 2010
This microwave oven does not come with any bells and whistles -just the sort I was looking for. I have been using it for the past couple of months and it has been absolutely fine. Easy to use , no fuss item. Does exactly what it says on the tin.
on 4 August 2013
What I wanted was a basic microwave of average volume and power, of a recognised brand, and where I can adjust the cooking time as precisely as ten seconds. I would have liked an oven thermometer to plug in, as my old microwave had, but not many models offer this handy feature that stops cooking when the temperature reaches a pre-set temperature.

My old oven broke down a few years ago, and the reason I didn't renew it immediately was that I could find no models allowing me to set the cooking time to the precision I wanted. The numeric keypad the old model had, allowing me to set the time down to the second, had gone out of fashion to be replaced with an inferior design of only allowing the user to choose between pre-set times such as 10 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 1 min 30 sec, 2 min etc., insufficient precision if I know that a mug of milk starts boiling after 1 min 50 sec.

The precision problem has now been solved by certain manufacturers, Sharp included, by using three buttons to add respectively 10 min, 1 min and 10 sec to the cooking time. That means I can set the cooking time to a precision of 10 seconds regardless of the total cooking time.

There are more than cooking and defrosting programmes enough for my needs.

I like the design.

The price is about right. Good value for money.

The manual is easy to understand.

Downsides:

The buttons are not very sensitive. You have to apply a good deal of force to activate them. If there isn't anything behind the oven to stop it from sliding back, the entire oven may slide back by the force needed to activate the buttons, depending on how smooth is the surface it is placed on. The reason for this is possibly to prevent accidental start of the oven, something that could damage a microwave oven.

When not in use, the display just shows ":", as it has no clock. The clock programming guy was probably sick the week this model was designed. It's not a big deal. If you need a clock, you can buy one for a couple of quid. At least it has a kitchen timer.
on 17 October 2013
We purchased this microwave several years ago but now find it doesn't heat the food properly and we will have to replace it.
It is a good looking, reliable microwave but the main problem is condensation, which causes the interior to deteriorate.
The edge of the door interior and the base underneath the turntable, which are both paint finished, in particular.
So my recommendation is, if you are willing to dry out the interior/door after EVERY use, and don't want to pay a lot for a basic model, go ahead.
Unfortunately, it's not just me using it, but my sons and husband too, and getting them to dry it off would be an impossibility.
No standby clock either, btw, which was a nuisance at first, but I got used to it.
on 31 December 2009
This is very good microwave. It has very soft button also the button which used to open the door is very soft.
it has very bright right which helps to view the food when is cook. The negative side of it, this microwave haven't got clock. I will advise others to buy. Good value of money
on 12 September 2012
don't buy this microwave, i have had two and they both died, with the same symptoms. the control panel lights all go out and do not respond and when you open the door, a dim light comes no and the tray moves slowly round, even tho you've got the door open! (am i getting zapped with microwaves here??)
on 24 February 2012
When I was looking for a microwave - our first microwave after over 10 years of non-microwave living - I never knew that the item i was buying would send our 5 1/2 year old son into such a frenzy of kitchen productivity, and yet I have to hand it to the Sharp Solo, it did just that. He is now eager for our tea to get cold, so that he can press the easy 'Reheat Tea/Coffee' button. He longs for porridge in the mornings because it can be blasted by the easy couple of presses of a button that sets it at 2 minutes. He even plans dinners with us that can only be done in the microwave, so that HE, the youngest human in the house, can cook for us.
This is a great microwave, it has the little frills you need, its easy to clean, it has a high power, it looks sturdy and classy, and the price is perfect.
After the micro hiatus, this is a perfect kitchen friend to welcome in.
Oh, and our son calls it 'Mike'.