5.0 out of 5 stars C Andrews
I cannot recommend this book (and the other two books in the mini series - call the midwife and shadows of the workhouse) highly enough. Very interesting content about a now vanished world, lively characters, fluent and engaging written style and with so much social history thrown in that it is more useful than a textbook would be. Twinning the detailed explanations on...
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by C. Andrews

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the series, but this proved to be a let down. It has no real flow, jumps here and there through out. I ended up skipping a few of pages which were just a history lesson on abortion, while interesting, it was just too detailed, and I found it quite boring to be honest. The ending was better, and finally told us what happened to...
Published 10 months ago by ButterflyBaby

‹ Previous | 128 29 3035 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Put Down, 5 July 2011
I have just finished this book and have also read 'Call the Midwife'. I have really enjoyed reading these books although they are quite shocking sometimes. Jennifer Worth has a very readable way of writing and am so sad to hear that she has just died so there will be no more. No doubt she embellishes the stories slightly (as James Herriot did) but there is nothing wrong with this. Some of the stories make you want to cry sometimes. I thoroughly recommend them and am trying to encourage my friends to read them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not for the faint-hearted, 26 May 2011
I found this audio book interesting, there were some harrowing stories but also some humourous recollections.

My husband and I usually enjoy listening to audio books whilst travelling together but he found this too "heavy" and at times even I found it a bit intense. We both enjoy medical programmes on TV but somehow the powerful and sometimes extremely graphic descriptions in the book seemed to affect us more.

It is possible that people with nursing knowledge would be in their element listening to this book. However, if you are at all squeamish or simply seeking a light hearted, entertaining and uplifting audio book about yesteryear, then seek elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairewell to the East End, 26 Dec 2010
D. Leagas (England) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for my wife who simply LOVED the previous two: 'Call the Midwife' and 'Shadows of the Workhouse'. The Social History was most interesting and she couldnt put any of the books down!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 14 Nov 2010
Farewell To The East End: The Last Days of the East End Midwives

Jennifer Worth is well worth reading (excuse the pun).entertaining. reads as if she was there, which she was.very informative for historians and genealogists telling how people lived in the 1950s.love reading her books

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ending, 2 Nov 2010
A beautiful ending to a wonderful series of book. Highly recommended and a very emotional read. Cannot rate highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars midwifery for the poor, 28 Aug 2010
This book was reccomended to me by a fellow traveller on a recent cruise and was everything she said it would be, very well written and, as I was brought up in the East End of london, very true to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent, 7 Jun 2010
Mrs. Sheila Lyons (uk) - See all my reviews
wonderful , informative book just as expected from reading her other like books about the workhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 9 May 2010
Debra Drewett (UK) - See all my reviews
Once again a great book by Jennifer Worth. I couldn't put it down. Would recommend all 3 - Shadows of the Workhouse, Call the Midwife and Farewell to the East End.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Farewell To The East End: The Last Days of the East End Midwives (Call The Midwife Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. It's even better than 'Call the Midwife' - the stories are more colourful and varied. Best book in the triology. Don't know that it has the best title though. There's only a little bit at the end about why the midwives stopped working in the East End.

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole series by the author of 'Call the Midwife' are brilliant, 10 Nov 2014
M. Counsell (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
The whole series by the author of 'Call the Midwife' are brilliant, bringing the life of the East End immediately after the war to life, and filling us with admiration for what our mothers suffered, and the skill of the nurses, when we came into the world.

‹ Previous | 128 29 3035 | Next ›