5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Definitive Account of the Meaning of Poverty
Published on 5 Aug 2008 by Joan H. Hammond

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be
After reading Call the Midwife and aboslutely LOVING it, I couldn't wait to get hold of this book. THe book is split into three segments, each telling three different stories. I was really interested in the workhouse aspect, and found the first segment enthralling and couldn't stop reading. However, the following two segments didn't relaly ahve much to do with...
Published on 22 Feb 2009 by L. Mellor

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Definitive Account of the Meaning of Poverty, 5 Aug 2008
I was born in the East End in the 1950's, and still live there. However, Jennifer's account has brought to life the tales my parents and grandparents told me about how much a struggle life was for so many people, barely a bus ride from where I was living. Jennifer's portrayal of Mr. Collet's demise in an 'old folk's home', in the 60's, which was little better than the workhouses of 30 years previously starkly reminds us that man's inhumanity to man can come in many different forms, no matter how affluent / civilised / reformed our societies pretend to be. This book should be read by anyone who works in public office, if only to remind them that the attitudes and conditions of the recent past have not gone away; they're still out there and will come back if we allow them to.
Jennifer's comparison of modern East London tower blocks and housing estates taking the place of the old tenements tells us that rather than improving conditions, society has simply torn down the old and replaced them with tacky copies. Jennifer Worth should have gone into politics, for judging from her excellent books, this is one person who would have made a real difference. Next time I travel through Poplar, Limehouse and Stepney, I will now do so with a new interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never complain about my life being hard ever again!, 30 Dec 2005
By A Customer
If you enjoyed Call the Midwife, you will definately enjoy this book, although the content is not midwifery related. There are three parts to the book, each containing stories of people who the author had known through her work.
Her descriptions of the hardship and poverty of early 1900's London, along with personal tragedy and sacrifice will make you weep, and feel thankful to be living in the 21st Century.
- Frank and Peggy, brother and sister, separated from their parents by death and then from each other by the workhouse... courage, hope, joy, and a real tear-jerker ending.
- Joe Collett - this story is a testament to the truly caring and generous spirit of the author - she goes above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion to befriend an old man - and hears a tale of army life and family courage spanning three wars, with more than a touch of tragedy along the way.
Beautifully written, I could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Both heart-warming and heart-breaking at once, 12 Oct 2008
Dr. Rich Boden "rich boden" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Matthew Parris states in the blurb on the back of the book that reading this made him cry on a crowded train. It managed to make me burst into floods of tears in the middle of Schipol Airport at 6am - not many books manage to make me cry anywhere - let alone in public. It's a wonderfully evocative read, based on Worth's life working as midwife in 1950s London. The fascinatingly detailed descriptions of the housing, the patients, the costermongers and the nuns make the book quite un-put-down-able I found. The story of Sister Monica Joan is poignant yet makes you smile with every other line, whereas the story of Joe is heartbreaking from the off. I can't wait for the next instalment of Worth's memoirs!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent follow up to Call the Midwife... can't wait for the third book, 7 Sep 2008
C. Riddell "Caro Bookworm" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I read this book in 24 hours- I just could not put it down. I had high expectations, having "enjoyed" Call the Midwife. I say "enjoyed" because I also found it horrifying and I cried over the stories of Mary and Mrs Jenkins.

This book doesn't disappoint, and the stories of Jane, Peggy and Frank are just as compelling. It's written in the same style as Call the Midwife so you can really get your teeth into a character's story in each chapter.

The stories are not as bleak as CTM's- Jane finds love in later life which finally helps to restore the sparkle she lost when she was badly beaten and humiliated in the workhouse. Peggy and Frank have each other, and Joseph Collett doesn't see his own situation as bleak, and is appreciative of the filthy tenement rooms that he's been given. His story is fascinating and I think the friendship between him and Jennifer is beautifully portrayed, especially the incident in the final pages of the book.

The only gripe I have is that I thought a lot of pages were wasted on the trial of Sister Monica Joan, which I didn't find as fascinating as the author I'm afraid. But it's a small gripe, and all adds to the characters of the nuns of Nonnatus House.

Jennifer Worth is very fair in her description of workhouses. They served a purpose, even though they were ill thought out and socially destructive to those who were ripped apart from their family members. Descriptions of life in the workhouse are well written and the most grisly details are in general spared us although clearly implied- the sexual abuse that was alluded to in Frank's story for example.

I want more! I can't wait for the third book. Jennifer Worth must have thousands of stories in her head of the people she met- I want to hear them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down, 30 Jan 2009
S. Moore "sideshowsusie" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Couldn't wait for the arrival of this paperback after reading Call the Midwife. Got it yesterday and it's living up to all expectations. I forced myself to shut off the light way after midnight but can't wait to get back into it. Three chapters in and it's compelling albeit brutal. Jennifer Worth is such a good storyteller and as a fellow midwife I recommend this book as essential reading - even if you're not a lover of social history. Thanks Jennifer.

5.0 out of 5 stars harsh but funny times, 9 May 2010
All three books in this series have been a thoroughly enjoyable read. My father was a doctor in this area of London during this time and although he is now in his late eighties and struggles to read, he is also thoroughly enjoying the evocative scenes of this part of London in the middle of the last century. These books are sad, funny, and extremely interesting when you think how far medicine has progressed during the last 50 years and the writer skillfully takes you with her into her world of learning about nursing, midwifery, convent life, poverty and growing up! A very entertaining read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, 3 Oct 2011
Not as good as "Call the midwife" but still a very addictive read. A kindly, balanced view of people, showing many different sides to life. Very sad in places, made me realise how much things have changed in our society in the last 50 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Shadows Of The Workhouse: The Drama Of Life In Postwar London (Call The Midwife Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
We know very little about the inmates who lived in the workhouses. Photos are few and far between. The few photos that do exist show people with hollow cheeks and desperate eyes. The death and sickness rates of workhouses speak for themselves. Poor people were forced to live in the most terrible conditions to ensure they didn't get too attached to them. Families were split up as a matter of course.

Jennifer Worth tells the story of three people whose childhood was spent in the workhouse, whom she encountered as a midwife in the East End of London in the 50s.

I'll be surprised if you can read their stories, and that of the elderly soldier that Worth befriends, Mr Collett, without weeping. Mr Collett ends up being moved to the "sanctuary" of an old people's home - a former workhouse - where visitors are virtually unheard of.

Worth as always writes superbly, is a born story teller and creates a compelling social history of a time which wasn't so long ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Book, 15 Mar 2009
Once again Jennifer Worth has achieved an amazing feat in vividly bringing alive the London of the 1950s, and how the lives of so many individuals was still wrapped up in the shadows of the workhouse which had been abolished some thirty years before.

Unlike her first book, we do not meet so many different characters this time or have so many stories. Instead, the book is divided into three parts. The first deals with a middle aged woman called Jane and a grown up brother and sister whose friendship was forged under the crushing and brutal atmosphere of the workhouse over forty years before. The second is a more light hearted section, almost comedy relief, with the trial of an elderly nun for theft. The final section I found most moving, and it brought tears to my eyes. It tells the moving story of her friendship with an elderly man, and reminds us all that just being there to listen to someone can transform their lives in more ways than we can hope for.

In reading this book, you cannot fail to admire Jennifer Worth - that at such a young age, she must have been in her mid twenties at the times these events are recorded, she had so much compassion for the destitute, the elderly and lonely. This book also makes me admire the elderly man she befriends - who never sees his situation as belak and is grateful for the NHS and social housing, even though that housing is whiolly inadequate.

Jennifer Worth is a very talented writer, and in writing these memoirs she celebrates the life of the ordinary person and their suffering. So far I have found both her books very moving and cannot wait for the final volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Characters and their stories will touch you forever, 15 Jan 2009
T. Powell-Morris (UK) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put this book down. The descriptions of the poor houses and how they were run hooked me from the first page, I ran the gamut of emotions throughout, I left one public facility with a trembling chin through trying to hold back my angry tears at Jane's story and I literally sobbed at the end of Frank and Peggy's (luckily I was at home for that one) and Joseph Collett's story touched my heart. I know these characters will stay with me forever.

The book is beautifully written and you are taken on a journey through life in the East End @ the turn of the 20th century and see London in a way that it is difficult in these days to comprehend existed. Jennifer instantly conveys the desperation, greyness and injustice of the lives forced upon these people who had through no fault of their own ended up poor, and with no real chance of ever being able to change it.

It's difficult to believe that the poor houses and their remnants only disappeared from society 40 odd years ago, and it's an eye opener as to how much of the marks of these places and the fear of them is still visible in the older generations consciousness today, and moulds some of our unquestioned belief systems.

Reading this book has given me an endless supply of things to be grateful for in my life.

I am looking forward to reading Jennifer's other books and would like to thank her for sharing these tragic, heart rending, hopeful, tender and informative stories, they really have changed my life for the better, I truly wish the same for you.