4.0 out of 5 stars Bill and Eric take a back seat in this one...
Sookie Stackhouse is a telepathic waitress in the small town of Bon Temps, Louisiana. Her ability to read minds keeps the normal people away from her. They fear her ability, even those who claim not to believe in it. However, the vampires and other supernatural beings flock to her.
Her brother, Jason, has recently been bitten by a werepanther. Once he makes his first...
Published on 23 May 2005 by Detra Fitch

3.0 out of 5 stars not my favourite
I love Sookie Stackhouse books, and am currently working my way through the series. However, Dead As A Doornail just didn't do it for me. I was surprised to see that people think it's the best book yet!
I guessed almost straight away who was snuffing out the werewolves, the clues and dialogue between the murderer and Sookie made it pretty obvious. As for who was...
Published on 1 Sep 2009 by Librarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It ++++++, 18 Jan 2014
Loved it great book ,will be recommending it to all friend`s ,great author love her style of writing will be looking for more books by this author +++++

4.0 out of 5 stars Little bit disappointed in this one, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dead As A Doornail: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I am really enjoying the True Blood books so far, but this one sort of slowed down a bit for me. The baddie was too obvious, you pretty much knew what was going to happy from the get go.
Still enjoyed the read but was hoping for a little bit more on this one.
You didn't seem to get the interaction between the charactures as much in this one aswell, but hey few more to go yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, 24 Sep 2013
Absolutely love the stack house series, love the characters great storyline, have the whole set and would really recommend to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to the series., 20 Sep 2013
This series should come with an addiction warning! As each one comes to an end, I'm left wanting the next. Adjectives run out - the stories are simply great and how Charlaine Harris keeps it up has me, as a writer myself, green with envy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 13 Mar 2013
R. Morgan - See all my reviews
This is a great series - I usually go for high fantasy/sci-fi but I actually ordered one book and got this series as a mistake. Not dissapointed as I am really enjoying the books and I have started watching the tv show too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 4 Mar 2013
I received this book quickly and in good condition. It was very reasonably priced. I love the series and this one was a great as the rest. Love it loads

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 23 April 2012
Scheherazade (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm currently taking a second trip through Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, so it is with some conviction that I can say that, in my opinion, Dead as a Doornail is perhaps the last in this series that has a decent standalone plot. After this book (and I'm currently reading Definitely Dead), I find that they all start to run together, becoming more of an ongoing saga than a series with discreet but related books. One of the reasons I decided to start re-reading the series was because I couldn't remember the events of individual books, and now, which came as a bit of a revelation, I realise why.

This is really a criticism for another day, though, because I enjoyed Dead as a Doornail. I love paranormal romance, and this series has long been one of my favourites. I find I can easily get lost in Sookie's world, and that's been a welcome distraction at times. It's an easy, well-flowing, page turning read, and more than worth any paranormal romance fan's time.

In this instalment, Sookie has to contend with her brother's first transformation into a werepanther (a plot strand continued from the last book, Dead to the World), and is herself caught in the crossfire when a sniper begins to target local shapeshifters.It's a simple enough premise, complicated, as one might expect from a romance, by Sookie's relationships with some of the victims and suspects. There are various subplots, including the Long Tooth pack's packmaster contest, which, in Quinn, introduces a potential new love interest, and her friend Tara's relationship with a vampire, which Eric uses as a bargaining chip to coax a secret from Sookie.

I don't have many complaints. If anything, I found the main plot a touch on the predictable side. I mean, how many more of Merlotte's cooks are going to meet a bad end? I suspected the serial perpetrator from the moment she leaned in to sniff Sookie, which kind of ruined the suspense for me, but I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot on the way to that conclusion. The subplot involving Charles, which harked back nicely to the events of Dead Until Dark, was another high point for me. I like a bit of intertextuality.

So, of course, you can imagine how excited I was when a character from another of Harris' series, Lily Bard, appears in Bon Temps. This cameo is something I missed completely on my first read through the series, so I'm glad to have picked up on it this time through. This appearance, I thought, was well done, neither over-done nor abstruse. Lily plays her own role -- paranormal investigator -- which fits in well with the general circumstances of the plot, and she doesn't bring too much of her own series into Sookie's, if you understand what I mean. It's a clever thought on Harris' part, I think, and a nice tip of the hat to loyal readers.

Ultimately, while the main plot leaves a bit to be desired, the smaller sub-plots added enough spice and variety to keep me interested and entertained. Truthfully, I think the subplots are the reason this series continues to work -- you get so caught up in the characters and the details of their lives that there can never really be a dull moment even when not much is happening. I fear this isn't always going to be the case, because I remember what I thought of Dead Reckoning the first time through, but it works for now.

If you've enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series so far, then Dead as a Doornail won't let you down. It's a shame the main plot is a bit lightweight, but it's an entertaining, pacy read for all that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead As A Doornail, 23 Mar 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the 5th book in the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series. I will admit that I only read the Sookie Stackhouse books as I had watched the television series however I absolutely love the books and now find the television series a bit wanting at times (although I still love the TV series). They seem to change the story in the television series so much from the books which in my opinion don't need changing however I assume they do this for a 'more dramatic storyline'. For anyone who is a fan of the television series then I would definitely advise them to read the books as they are so much better and go into so much more detail than the TV series can. I absolutely fell in love with Eric Northman in the series and if there was a 'team Eric' vs a 'team Bill' then I am definitely on team Eric! I can't wait until the latest instalment in the series is released from Charlaine Harris and I shall be reading it as soon as it touches my doormat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, entertaining but..., 12 Mar 2011
Ms. Claire Finlayson (UK) - See all my reviews
I love this series of books, really entertaining, really good main character (Sookie),but I did feel in this book, unlike the others, Charlaine Harris gave the game away a little too early, and most avid readers will easily pick up on this in this book-maybe it was intentional? It is still an entertaining, gripping read as always, so I wouldn't let that put you off. In fact, I'm sure the little hints or bombs she was dropping throughout may have added to the suspense and entertainment value. I was about to give it 4 stars, but I think it deserves a five star along with the entire series of books so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 9 Mar 2011
VampireGirl (Knottingley, UK) - See all my reviews
Brought this book as my mum had brought me all the others in the series. Absolutely fantastic and a must-read especially if you are into the series and anything to do with vampires