5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Reads Faster Than A Speeding Bullet!
Published on 30 April 2009 by Bobbewig

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the wait
As someone who was riveted by all the other Myron Bolitar stories, this was a distinct letdown. Every so often TV takes a success out of its normal setting, usually for a Christmas special. It rarely works.
Published on 9 Jun 2010 by Will Arnold

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Reads Faster Than A Speeding Bullet!, 30 April 2009
Bobbewig (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
Be prepared to put aside almost everything else you have to do when you pick up Coben's latest compulsive page-turner, Long Lost. If you're a fan of Myron Bolitar and his "crew" from the other books in this series, you'll be very happy with this thriller, although you may have to suspend your belief in Bolitar's exploits a little more than usual. If this is your first book in the series, I think you'll still enjoy Long Lost a lot; but perhaps not as much as readers that are already familiar with the characters in the series. In Long Lost Myron receives an out-of-the-blue call from ex-lover, Terese Collins, who he hasn't heard from in ten years, asking him to come to Paris to renew their once torrid relationship. Once he learns the real reason for her invitation, Myron is off to Paris. He and Terese soon find themselves trying to avoid Homeland Security, Interpol and Mossad. Long Lost is an extremely fast, intense and fun read. The only factor that causes me to subtract one-half star is that I found the ending, while very exciting, to be a bit too contrived and implausible. Nonetheless, Long Lost is a very enjoyable book and one I'd highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the wait, 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: Long Lost (Paperback)
Instead of the usual close-to-home, surburban, tightly defined plot, Long Lost ends up as a mixture of usual Bolitar, international thriller and a denouement that was almost science-fiction (if you were dismayed to see Close Encounters spliced into the Indiana Jones IV film, you'll feel uneasy about Long Lost).
Maybe the gap between Bolitar books was for a reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW.....Thank goodness Bolitar's back, 6 May 2009
Claire Maxwell (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
This book was consumed in a night. I just couldn't help it. The story is so jammed packed with characters, plot developments and turns that you're not quite sure what is going on. I love Coben's style of writing and his latest Myron Bolitar is one of his best. The story has already been summed up and I do not want to give anything away and spoil it, but trust me...this book is beyond brilliant. Fair enough it seems like Myron is just a sucker for punishment and has the worst luck in the world when it comes to women, but you care for him and for Terese and the writing is so powerful that you believe that all these things could happen. For me though the best thing about this book is the emotion shown by Bolitar throughout the novel, there's still the witty comebacks and one liners but Myron is more vulnerable and it comes across really effectively

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly dark, 2 Dec 2014
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
The ninth Myron Bolitar adventure is the most serious and surprisingly dark of the series that I've read. Bolitar is summoned to Paris by an old flame and becomes embroiled in an investigation that spirals completely out of control.

The whole plot takes on a very serious angle that seems out of keeping with the comic style that marked out the earlier novels as being 'Hardy Boys for grown-ups'. There are moments where the banter between the characters remains, but it seems out of joint with the nature of the story which feels more like something from one of the author's straighter crime novels.

I wasn't that impressed actually - it's not what I was hoping for with another Bolitar adventure, which I associate with a bit of a lighter experience (though it's still modern crime rather than armchair detectives). I preferred the originals, and hope that the next (and to date final) book in the series is more in keeping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time for Myron to retire?, 16 Aug 2009
Andy Edwards "staxasoul" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
I loved the early Myron Bolitar books, and I think I've read all Coben's novels, but I think I'll probably leave the series here. Myron's escapades always required the reader to suspend disbelief, but the wisecracking and self mocking hunour meant that the entertainment value was high - a bit like watching a cartoon.

Unfortunately, the characters have become little too one dimensional and/or predictable, and the change of scenery to Europe only serves to underline this - let's face it these are New York people - although Coben does avoid his tendancy to overplay the "dark heart of suburban America card" so noticable in his stand alone novels.

Although the basic premise of the plot is an interesting one, it's here that the suspension of disbelief becomes essential. I am not going to spoil things if you want to read it but there are too many unlikely events - at least for this reader

To summarise, Coben has written another decent novel, and it will certianly keep you entertained (I read it on holiday), and if you are new to the Myron Bolitar circus, it may well lead you to read his other novels - if you do, I think you'll see what I am on about!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but too implausible..., 1 Nov 2009
Aria-May (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
I have read all the Myron Bolitar books and have really enjoyed them, but I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it might be time for Myron to retire. I enjoyed this book up to a point, but the lead characters are becoming very predictable, and dull and the plot is ridiculous (even for an MB story). Myron crosses international borders, shooting and killing baddies in Paris and London with apparent impunity, and whilst the story rollicks along (however implausibly) there's a sort of superficiality to the characters that meant I wasn't really interested in any of them. I'm pretty sure that if you're a Myron fan you'll enjoy this story - I read it on holiday, and it helped me while away a couple of hours on a plane, but for me it might mark the end of my interest in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars At long last, we have Long Lost, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
Harlan Coben always amazes me with his story-lines as they are certainly creative, and Long Lost follows that wining formula although I felt the last 30 pages were a bit far-fetched. I am glad Myron Bolitar is back as I enjoy the humour that Coben employs with him and especially Win. It must be a lot of comedic fun for Coben to write their dialogue. In previous novels, sports agent, Bolitar typically stumbles in and out of trouble through his sports clients and family friends. In this novel, a call from an ex-girlfriend leads him into the global war on terrorism in France, England and USA with a host of characters from Mossad, NSA, Dr Death, Blue eyed blondes, and a sexy Mee. Overall, Long Lost is a very strong page turner. Enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Give it up Harlan, 26 Jan 2010
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
This guy has written some cracking novels, but this is not one of them. Usually I can't put these books down, but this book, I kept remembering that I had to finish it before I could read something else.

Myron Bolitar is presented as some kind of thoroughly decent new man's alpha male man, but I don't buy it. I feel he's a bit of a deluded ol' creep. Mentally bigging himself up all the time because he was once an athlete. Bolitar walks through customs wondering whether to give the female customs officer the full charm offensive or just bare minimum.

Win's 'mee time' nonsense was quite tedious. We're supposed to believe that Myron disapproves of that. But the problem is, the characterisation is so poor, that instead of hearing two clear and distinct voices, one from Myron and one from Win, I read this book hearing Harlan Coben himself. Rightly or wrongly, I feel like he's a mixture of Myron and Win, ie, a conceited misogynist who considers himself rather charming.

All that talk about derriers and felony in a bikini was just boring. like some randy teenager writing for Nuts magazine.

I;ve read my last Harlan Coben. but luckily, I've discovered Lynwood Barclay.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bolitar book!!, 29 April 2012
J Beer "Amazonian Shopper" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Lost (Myron Bolitar Book 9) (Kindle Edition)
This is by far the best Myron Bolitar book! I couldn't put it down! The plot was incredible and so plausible. How does Harlan Coben come up with these ideas? I'm hesitating reading the new one in the series, Live Wire, in case I'm disappointed..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good twist, 9 Sep 2009
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
This is my second Coben novel and the first with Myron Bolitar.

Coben writes an edge of your seat type thriller, slowly revealing plots and clues along the way to keep you guessing as to what the real twist will be. I thought it was a good one, and the pace never let up in getting you there.

That said, it's a bit of as typical male, strong silent type, wise cracks, loyal friends, similar fight scenes, and all too familar ending. But it was good fun along the way.

Long Lost (Myron Bolitar Book 9)