5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Yes
Published on 19 May 2004 by Richard Moult

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Yes, but not as bad as many would tell you ...
Published on 20 July 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Yes, 19 May 2004
I had read so many negative reviews of this album on the 'net and elsewhere, that as a result, the forbidding reputation of this album compelled me to buy it. And I really don't understand the objections - particularly from some Yes fans. It bears all the hallmarks of classic Yes - indeed, it appears to me to be the summit of their achievements so far. Perhaps in its day, it was one 'prog rock' opus too many: now however, we appear to live in an age where things can be appreciated for themselves, without being compared and contrasted with opposing trends.
There is much that is symphonic about this work - and if you have some appreciation of classical music and can happily endure the sublime enormity of the symphonies of Bruckner and Mahler, then 'Tales'will be an effortless joy. There is so much strong music here - both melodically, and in terms of the sometimes astonishingly original and vigorous 'orchestration'. Contrary to some opinions, 'Tales' is never boring - the material shifts and moves quickly and dramatically within each movement or 'song', that one often feels each section to be over far too soon. There are so many ideas here, realised with creative surety and strength. 'The Remembering' in particular, with its ethereal evocation of the tides of the cosmic ocean, has to be the most ambitious and magical of all of Yes' compositions so far. 'Ritual' of course is an absolute classic, which many fans will know well - particularly because of the (it has to be said, superior) version on 'Yesshows'. The same label of 'classic' can also be applied to 'The Revealing ...' Even the much reviled 'The Ancient' is really good - although it does perhaps provide the one moment (and it is only a moment) of weakness, during the percussive section when their focus is lost a little. But the piece soon rights itself, showcasing some glorious classical guitar by Howe in its second half.
'Tales' does not represent any shocking departure from anything the band had done before, and seamlessly flows into 'Relayer' - in fact, several themes on 'Tales' pre-echo that subsequent album.
'Tales' represents great artistic courage and ambition: it is an uncompromising and magical work, a work that all who care for music as more than just entertainment should own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic misunderstood album given top remaster treatment, 10 May 2004
Dr. D. B. Sillars - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This has always been the most controversial album by Yes, both amongst fans and critics of progressive rock who use it as an example of why prog rock is not a good thing. But within the ranks of their catalogue it stands as being their most ambitious album. In context, the album is a huge achievement. Yes were after “Close to the Edge” at a critical and commercial high point. It would have been so easy to repeat that formula to maintain that position. Instead the band decided to push the envelope further and see how far they could reach. They took the bold decision to experiment with what could be achieved with long form compositions. The results are this album, four tracks all around the 20 minute mark. The first piece, “The Revealing Science of God” now has an added intro which sets the scene for Jon Anderson’s “Dawn of life” intro. “Ritual” is all tribal with a beautiful song in “Nous Somme Du Soleil”, but there is so much to enjoy here. The most audacious piece, “The Ancient” is bold in it’s execution. Steve Howe’s guitar shines all over a mainly instrumental track. The band are almost as frenetic here as they would be on the following “Relayer”, with layers of percussion, synths and guitars all fighting for attention.
Critics have called this album difficult and stated that there was an overstretching of musical ideas. This is not the case. I think the album evolves naturally over each of it’s tracks. It is complex, thematically and musically, but I think the whole thing holds together very well. It has stood the test of time very well. It is the album by them that I re-visit the most, finding new nuances from each listen.
This remaster has done the album the justice it deserves. The sound is full and clear, with all the detail finally brought out of the mix. The studio run-throughs are interesting takes on how the pieces have evolved. The digipak packaging is sumptuous. Rhino has done a remarkable job with this and the other releases in the Yes re-issue program.
Take the opportunity and listen to this bold album from Yes’s classic period. It really deserves to be re-evaluated and given the recognition it so widely deserves.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...where fishes swim., 21 July 2003
Achieving great success with their acclaimed masterpiece and previous album "Close to the edge" in 1972 Yes made themselves a big task in fulfilling the expectations on the coming studio album. The band could have made it easier for each member of the band by doing another single album but of course as the band tended to make music in larger and larger formats they now wanted to wide their spaces on record as well. The result therefore became this ambitious double-album released in 1973, unmercifully plucked by the critics but concidered a very strong album by the fans (it did sell very good despite of the bad critics) and as i definitely stand by the dedicated Yes-fans i love this album. It had a remarkable inpact on me while i was digging into all the Yes-records during my early youth. I remember myself listening through "The revealing science of god" in the late evenings just floathing away into the airy movements of that 20-minute piece (there are four individual pieces of music on the album, each one clocks approximately at twenty minutes). It's the best track on the album for me and has captured some of the most enduring melodies in my mind to this day (Getting over overhanging trees etc.). The themes of the songs are inspired by eastern philosohy, a string of ideas that was generated by vocalist Jon Anderson during their 1973 tour supporting "Close to the edge" (a lot of the basic musical fragments to the pieces was also constructed by Jon Anderson and Lead Guitarist Steve Howe during the period of that tour). Second track on the album "The remembering" is also a favourite as it reminds a lot of previous track "The revealing..". It has the same mellow and ethereal feel in most of the song where good melodic passages and Rick Wakeman's flavish keyboard playing are highlights. The second and the third track is much more experimental. "The acient" goes more in the key of improvisation and avantgarde with less vocals. It's a very energetic and mystical piece of music. I think that the experimental side has always been a very interesting side of Yes. That side carries on through the last track "Ritual" a classic live track by the way. Especially when Jon sings the beautiful lyrics "Nous somme du soleil...We love when we play". So 'Topographic oceans' is a Yes album to explore for long happy days. It has so much to give in terms of moods and changes. It has a life of itself in the world of YES.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Yes" Is Allowed To Have Fun, 1 April 2004
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In 1973, a double LP from any group was considered a monumental task and sometimes even pretentious. However, "Yes" has been producing high quality "prog-rock" work for several years. Each prior album had been condensed into tight, well orchestrated pop songs. When "Tales..." was released, it showed that the band finally wanted to release an album that showed all of its member individual talents as well. Throughout the album, each member has their own solo highlight while still contributing to the band as a whole. The lyrics by Anderson and Howe can sometimes sound overly serious or cumbersome, but that is beside the point. It is the fluid movement of poetry that combines with the instrumentals that survives so well. There never seems to be a moment of self-consciousness or forcefulness. The sounds of the words/sentences just meld with the other instruments. It was never clear to me exactly what message "Yes" was try to convey with this large album, but I enjoyed its variety nonetheless. Instead of Top Forty songs, the listener is treated to segments of music segued with bridge after bridge, making a seamless series of four "songs". Actually, these "songs" are chapters. If they had wanted to, "Yes" could have easily made a 'rock opera', but that would have been considered ridiculous and self-serving. Instead, "Yes" has presented chunks and snippets of melodies and songs that wind together for eighty minutes or so. It is simply a musical experience and nothing more; but an exceptional one at that. It's not the final package that counts; it's the wild ride that we are allowed to glide along with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I came back..., 10 Sep 2003
CJ Mann "cJlovesJazz" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
In 1974, I bought this album and as a 15-year old it was one of my prized possessions. I even bought one of those gatefold plastic sleeves to protect it. I always listened to it in its entirety and was always sad when it had finished. Apart from "90125" I had not heard Yes music until the 35th Anniversary Collection was released recently. I bought that, loved it and started to read up on the music I'd ignored (in favour of soul and jazz-funk if you can believe that) for close to 30 years. "TFTO" was almost universally slammed in print so to refresh my memory I felt I had to buy it on CD.

It's as treasured now as it was then. Yes, 20-minute songs are a challenge and yes, there are moments on the album where you question the band's taste. However these are more than compensated for by Rick Wakeman's dazzling keyboard solo on Side 1, Howe's lush classical guitar on Side 2, White's muscular (even funky...) drumming on chunks of Side 3 and Chris Squire's inspirational bass everywhere. In my 20's I took up the bass and Squire's work isn't the reason I did so (Mark King has that dubious honour) but in retrospect, he is a standout player and his contributions here are often startlingly good, both in their melodic content and his use of effects.

I know what's said about the part that music like this played in the upsurge of punk. To me, that's too simplistic; there were lots of other social changes going on which had a more direct causal relationship. Punk meant nothing to me then and in 2003 I find it an irrelevance. Not so this album. I can't fully share my memories of it with you because VR hasn't gone that far, but I urge you to hear it and make your own mind up and (hopefully) enjoy it in your own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars High the Memory-Great eastern turbulent eclectiscm before they went AOR, 1 July 2010
L. GERRARD (U.K.) - See all my reviews
When I'd first acquired this album,back in the 80's, after I'd been turned on to Yes with the commercial 90125,and then having explored my parents 70's Yes collection and fallen in love with "Close to the edge",and "Relayer" and "Going for the One",I finally got around to buying this in the beautiful gatefold vinyl it was meant to be presented in.

"Close to the edge" had the jazz fusion into Baroque church organs,the folky ballad whimsy of "And you and I",and the crazy hoedown of Siberian Khatru with it's cyclical loop riff.Relayer had the Jazz/rock mania of the "Gates of delirium" and "Sound chaser" with the beautiful and a bit manic "To be over",and Going for the One had three quarters more commercial,but still with soaring guitar,fat bass riffs,church organs,and madrigalesque guitar topped off with the incomparable eastern delight of "Awaken".So what would I make of the album that had sent Rick Wakeman running a mile,but not before he'd ordered a curry in the middle of one live rendition of a track from topographic because he didn't have much to play on it.

Well,ironically,I think there's actually rather alot of great keyboard and synth playing on this album,which I get the feeling he rather felt was just a wash- blagging it out between ideas,and felt he was not really mad about it.But if you listen to Close to the edge,apart from the big organ solo's some of the accompanying keyboard is not that symphonic a palette wheras I think here the keyboards take a bigger role than piano or cathedral organ.Much nicer sounds than he's used since anyway. My first impressions were:

The revealing science of God mesmerised me with it's fantastic production,multi harmony vocals, eastern tinged guitar,epic sweep and exciting drumming. However,I did find that for all this,the track,compositionally challanged you,because just as the energy levels built up and took you to perhaps an interesting 1 minute keyboard/Guitar solo it would subside and resume the original tune.Wheras,perhaps you felt like it was time to go somewhere else altogether!! "High the memory" feels like that for the first 7 minutes or so,and to this day,it's marred for me by the fact that I just don't like the tune,and they keep returning to it!! So at a young age I could appreciate some peoples criticisms (including Chris Squire's and Rick Wakeman's!!) that it was a little bit padded out,and after having teased you,it would then you return you to an old melody. Having said that,years ago I basically Loved "Revealing" adored the second half of "High the moemory" so much energy and such a great guitar solo ending. I was mesmerised by the eastern feel of the "Ancient" with it's crazy out of tune style,which I love,and then still going into perfectly in tune sections..... which then segued into the Baroque english acoustic guitar coda. And then the last track "Ritual". I thought the chanting first section of "Nous sommes du soleil" went on a bit,and at the time wasn't exactly in love with the noisy percussive section.....despite it resolving in the quite beautiful last section. I would be a bit bemused that yes fans could say that it was their finest hour,but now,I'm beginning to feel that it very nearly is.Despite returning to certain melodies,you accept that that is the nature of what this album does,but there is SO MUCH music here!!!!!! So much fanatstic guitar. Apart from the beginning hysteria of Close to the edge, and the Siberian Khatru riff it is not necessarily full of solo orientated guitar.(And you and I is a 3 chord folk song let's face it,and I always preferred Steve Howe's live slide solo to the one on record) Relayer and Going for the One are riddled with guitar,but then you realise that so is Tales from topographic oceans but it also showcases so many more styles. The Close to the edge main tune and Siberian Khatru's loop tune are actually simple,short phrases but in Topographic the phrases become longer,more melodic,more complex and less tendancy to go into a loop.It's got all the riffs,the rock,the acoustic guitar,the slide..... plus,... the crazy eastern stuff! Some sections literally fly and really do break down the barriers of how different genre's of music can be intertwined. 3 of the four tracks have soaring endings with great guitar solo's,and though track 3 ends in a madrigalesque though dark,lullaby it finishes with a punch!

Over the years as I've watched people defending the quite atrocious and sickening mutation of Yes into a shameless AOR beast with awful quasi-new age lyrics,I had no sympathy for those who could not see the distinction between the virtuosic beauty, turbulence and integrity of the seventies with the bland puke-making middle of the road drivel that they've produced since.
In the seventies,the group said that they were left alone to get on and do what they wanted. In this age,where ethnic music, d'n'b Jazz rock trance eastern and symphonic are all mixed together, Yes could have been doing just that,instead they chose to only succeed at making bad 80's AOR for the next 30 years.

This album,despite it's faults,given time,has for me,matured from an album which I enjoyed some bits more than others, into an album which I thoroughly enjoy from beginning to end,and,showcases Steve Howe's prodigous gifts to a sublime degree.
It's stands right up there with CTTE,Relayer,and Going for the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS HAS TO BE BY FAR THE BEST PROG ROCK ALBUM EVER !!!, 18 Jan 2005
I give this album 10 star's if I could. It took me about 4 times to really understand this album and fully appreciate it musically. It's a journey that you have to go along with and listen to it all the way through, with peace and quite and no interruption. This was slatted at the time a little as people felt it was over the top, but given the test of time it has ripened with age and now people can understand what the band were trying to do.I really do prefer this more musically than Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon. This album has much more complex musical peaces and really draws the listener in. Rick Wakemans keyboard playing is out of this world he is really ahead of his time. You will here the melletron as you never herd it before well only King crimson that is.....
At times it will bring you to tears some of the peaces are quite moving.
I think Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon is great and a testament to time but well over rated!!! .......this is a must listen as well as there next Album Reallayer 1974 it all nicely comes together this is there finest effort .
Buy it buy it Buy it........

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive progressive rock album, 20 Feb 2000
By A Customer
Yes had previously released Close to the Edge which had taken them further towards Jon Anderson's dream of combining rock with classical themes and structures, but the critical tide was starting to turn against such so-called pretentious ambitions when Tales was released. Don't believe what you have read about this album, however, as it is abundantly rich in melody, intricate harmony, atmosphere, changes in mood and sheer excitement. You have to listen carefully, and repeatedly, to appreciate this composition. If you do you will gain far greater pleasure than from more superficial rock forms. Sides 1 and 4 are the highlights, whilst Side 3 "The Ancient" features some of Yes's most daring music, at times more alienating and less lyrical than usual. Yes's recently acquired drummer Alan White brings more agression and less jazz to the music than previously. It is a pity that the production, even in remastered form, is less clean that what we are now used to these days, but this stands as the definitive progressive rock album of the seventies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate prog-rock album, 5 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Since buying this album almost thirty years ago it has become the bench-mark by which I have come to judge all other listening experiences in the rock genre. Simply put, for me it is the most original collection of musical ideas ever put forward at one point by a group of rock musicians.The soaring melodies, breath-taking musicianship and magical lyrics all combine to create an experience which is much greater than the sum of its parts. Buying the re-mastered CD version has enhanced my listening pleasure of this wonderful suite of music which will forever stay with me as the soundtrack to my youth. Exquisite from start to finish. A must-have for anyone serious about musicianship of the highest calibre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Yes, but not as bad as many would tell you ..., 20 July 2002
By A Customer
This is it, the album that Yes' critics (not least Rick Wakeman)cite as evidence that Anderson, Squire et al had vanished up themselves fatally. It's an album I still listen to, and have done for many years, and whilst it certainly isn't the one I'd point people in the direction of who'd never heard Yes (that would have to be 'Going for the One') it has its moments. The bookending tracks 'Revealing Science of God' and 'Ritual ...' are both stunning achievements - the latter really gives Chris Squire a chance to shine. 'Remembering ...' stands up pretty well, but it is on 'The Ancients' that the group really lose their way (this features absolutely the worst piece of Steve Howe guitar work I have ever heard - eighteen minutes of your life you'll never get back!). So if you can handle two brilliant tracks, one pretty good one and a dire one, there is much to enjoy here.