5.0 out of 5 stars Great value Green 1Tb HDD for upgrade or builds.
Published on 6 May 2010 by M. Billenness

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Windows Home Server
I bought this drive to add storage capacity to a computer running Windows Home Server.

After weeks of terribly slow performance, I finally found out that the new 'Advanced Format' WD Caviar drives (such as this one) are not compatible with Windows Home Server.

Published on 5 April 2010 by roBall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value Green 1Tb HDD for upgrade or builds., 6 May 2010
M. Billenness (Swansea UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive OEM- Caviar Green (Accessory)
Great Hard Disk easy installation and with loads of capacity for all your needs. Runs fast, cool and quietly. Great buy but is an OEM version so you need 4 mounting Screws plus SATA and perhaps a Sata Power Lead for installation (look inside your case to see if there is a spare Sata Power Plug). No instructions but Vista or Windows 7 will pick it up as new hardware on boot up. if you want Western Digital Software go to their site. Supposed to be very reliable and save power but cannot comment on these claims so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet drives and now compatible with Netgear ReadyNAS, 13 Mar. 2010
Jeffrey Hartley (Uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this drive to go into a Netgear ReadyNAS as a partner to another that Amazon had sent in error (should have been the EADS not the EARS). The WD10EARS is not on the hardware compatability list for the ReadyNAS so I was quite worried that I'd have problems and indeed I did start getting SMART disk errors virtually every day from the ReadyNAS. A quick look at the Netgear forum was enough to realise the errors were not serious and were only because these "green" drives don't use one particular feature and so genereate an error. Netgear has since released new beta firmware which makes these drives compatible and the errors are gone. So, if you are considering one of these drive to go into a Ready NAS, you will not be dissapointed, they are very quiet (much quieter than the NAS itself) and very important, compatible. If you just want a fast, quiet drive for your PC with green credentials then these won't dissapoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works as boot disc. Don't understand why people say it's not., 27 July 2012
David Asta "Dave" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm rectifying my previous review, after I found out that the problem of the HDD being slow on my 1st installation wasn't a problem with the HDD but the wireless drivers.

When I first installed the HDD on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I experienced that the installation was OK, but as soon as I booted I noticed that the HDD was VERY slow. Took me 30 minutes to install nVidia drivers! The computer seemed to freeze for 4-5 seconds constantly. Even Task Manager or simply clicking on Start took forever until the computer showed anything. Shutting down was taking about 3 minutes.

I found that the drivers of my wireless are 32-bit, and thought installs OK, the wireless doesn't work. This made me suspicious and I downloaded drivers for the 64-bit from a compatible manufacturer (Linksys doesn't publish 64-bit drivers for my wireless card) and did a fresh install of Windows.

Result? Everything works perfect and the HDD is fine.

I've read a few reviews of people saying this HDD should not be used as boot disc. Other people says it's great. This was very confusing. From my experience; this HDD works as boot disc fine as it was my previous disc, wich was a SATAII 7200rpm. No problems so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like caviar, but I do like this, 5 April 2010
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is the second Western Digital drive that I've bought; the first (a Scorpio 3200) was an upgrade for my PS3 and has worked without any problems since I got it 2 years ago, although its slower 5400rpm spin speed was quite noticeable when accessing data.

I bought this Caviar Green to use as a secondary (RAID 1) drive in my Netgear Stora and, so far, it hasn't let me down. It fitted neatly in the Stora without any problems and the Stora recognised it as soon as I powered it up. I had been worried that it wasn't a compatible drive as it's not listed on the Netgear website, but it appears that a recent Stora firmware update has allowed it to be used. The increased 7200rpm spin speed has also proved its worth, as it seems much faster than my other one when reading to and from the drive.

As with any hard drive, it's a complicated piece of equipment and there's no guarantee that it'll work flawlessly for ever and a day, but Western Digital is a quality brand and their hard drives do seem to be one of the more consistently reliable makes out there. Only time will tell of course, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great drive for windows, 7 Dec. 2010
This is one of the new 4k drives which will give better performance and more useable space than the "old" way of doing things.

For vista or windows 7 users (not sure about mac) you'll be able to plug it straight in but xp and linux users will probably need to set a jumper (instructions are included in the packaging), or do some setup shinanigans to get it working correctly.

not sure how economical it is but it's very quiet and fast enough for full HD video playing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, affordable and surprisingly effective drive, 15 Mar. 2011
Tim Parsons (UK) - See all my reviews
I worried about this.

My PC dates back to 2007, and its 160Gb drive was starting to look a bit, well, full.

Now: there are a variety of SATA standards, and I knew I needed a drive that could be stepped back to 1.5Gb/s. This one, despite being a 3Gb/s drive can be, via a jumper setting.

It arrived quickly and, while the packaging is minimalist, effectively and acceptably packaged. I imaged the old drive to an external (usb-connected) hard disk (I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager but Western Digital make a version of the Acronis equivalent available to users of their drives for free.) Having done this, I removed the old drive and fitted the new one in its place.

Finally, I booted the system from the Paragon recovery CD, told it to restore the image of the old drive to the new one, let it resize the partitions for me to fill the new drive and...

...well, what did you expect? It works. Perfectly. It's quiet in use, the speed's completely acceptable despite the 5400 spin speed (undoubtedly helped enormously by the 64Mb cache!) and I can't find anything to complain about at all.

It's probably not the fastest performer on the block, although it certainly doesn't seem in any way sluggish. On that front, you undoubtedly get what you pay for -- but I value reliability ahead of performance, generally, and all my research and experience so far with this has suggested that that's what this drive has given me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital Caviar Green Eco 1TB Drive, Perfect, 24 Sept. 2010
Used this to replace the 320 Gb WD hard drive in my 21" Aluminium Imac which, like many others it seems, failed after a little over 2 years. Helpful internet video and pics which recommended this drive for the job helped me save the £400 or so Apple would have wanted to do the job. The new drive is quiet, cool and so far performs perfectly well so would recommend trying this yourself. Apple make it hard as you have to go in through the screen but as long as you know what to do it is pretty straightforward.
Ironic the new drive comes with a longer warranty than the Imac original drive it replaces.
Overall a good drive which does the job well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Windows Home Server, 5 April 2010

Apparently it works in Windows XP only if you use the bundled software to 'realign' the data, but it should work fine in Windows Visa or Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD 1TB Caviar Green SATAII HDD, 10 Oct. 2010
Another great product from Western Digital. I purchase a a number of hard drives each month, WD are my preferred supplier due to their reliability and competitive pricing. The comfort of great support, should you need it is a bonus too.Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent buy, 30 Nov. 2010

I am delighted with my new hard drive. It was easy to install and I had no problems migrating from my old drive to the this one. I live in Spain and it arrived within 4 working days from the order. I can thoroughly recommend this hard drive. It is fast and very accurate in acquiring the right data. Well done Amazon.