on 1 January 2010
We bought this for our five and half year old, as she takes some really good pictures with our digital camera but could get a bit clumsy! What a good buy. So far it's been excellent value for money and she hasn't put it down. A couple of the pictures have been a bit blurry but that's probably due to it not being on the right setting and the excitement of having her very own camera! It's great you can put pictures around the person, like prison bars and hearts. Also there are games. The downside would be not having a charger for it to be charged off the mains as it does eat through AA batteries but we'll invest in rechargeables.
on 19 January 2010
My daughter is 4½ and was very happy to receive this pink camera at Xmas. A friend has the original Kidizoom and I thought it wasn't worth the money as the pictures all came out blurred and her child would have to stand as a still as a statue (not easy!) to get a half decent picture. But the Kidizoom Plus' quality of picture and video camera is much much better. Once my child had worked out how to get her subject matter in just the right place she was off photographing everyone and everything. You can put fun stamps, photo frames or even distort your pictures. We all had lots of fun giving each other fat cheeks, scarey eyes etc. There are also 5 mini games to play including Dance with me (match the arrows to make her dance), Fast Match (a pairs matching game) and a jigsaw.
Although she loved it, like most of her toys she soon got bored of it but saying that she has picked it up a few times. It is very chunky and durable so I would say it's ok from 2 years up for any budding photographers and it stops them wanting to play with your camera.
on 12 January 2010
We bought this for our 6 year old and I'd read the mixed reviews, but I reckon its great. My dauther loves it. The picture quality isn't great, its true, but its good enough. The best bit is the video function, as my girls take inane videos of each other that we, as parents, wouldn't take, and you end up with a great record of your kids being as natural and silly as they really are. Some criticims I've read: flash is too strong and washes out faces - you can put it on high, low or off, which works fine; you have to delete hundreds of photos individually - while its connected to the computer, find the drive the camera's connected to, find the folders with photos, and delete in bulk, no worries; picture quality is poor - its not great but its good enough for kids, and for video its perfectly fine; uses lots of batteries - minimise flash use and turn down the volume when they play games on it, and use rechargeable batteries. The photo editing - silly frames and shapes to add on - entertains them as well. Great gift!
on 9 March 2010
This product was purchased for my 3 year old Granddaughter's Birthday. She adores it and is very easy for her to use. There are additional features for use with a computer which she will use as she becomes more used to using it.

The only downside is the length of time the batteries last - approximately 1 week in the hands of a 3 year old. Would be helpful if the camera shut down automatically when laid to rest.
on 26 July 2010
My daughter has been asking for a camera for a long time, but the main problem that made me cautious about buying one is that she doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to looking after her toys - always dropping them, leaving them on the floor to be stood on, or forgetting to bring them in for outside. When I saw an advert on TV featuring this Kidizoom camera being chucked about by a toddler, I decided that perhaps this might be good for my daughter.

It came in one of those annoying plastic packets that require scissors to open, and along with the camera, there was also a disk to install software, an A/V cable and a USB cable, and the instructions and warranty .

The camera requires 4 AA batteries, which were included mand already installed - I was relived as the compartments for the batteries (one on either side of the camera) require one of those tiny little cross headed screwdrivers that I know I own but can never find.

Don't worry about the cables and the disk - they're not important until later . And actually, the instructions are not that important either - although clear and well written, the camera itself is so simple, and laid out in such a common sense manner, that my daughter was taking photos and shooting movies within minutes with a minimul amount of help from me .

The design of the camera is very good - the slight rubberising of the outer handles and their curved nature makes this easy to keep a good grip on, and the buttons and dials are large and clear, and don't feel loose or fragile . I particularly liked the spinning dial used to change modes . The camera has two choices for viewing what you are photographing - two little eye holes at the top, or alternatively on the little 1.8" TFT screen on the camera itself.

At 2 Megapixels, this isn't going to set the world alight with brilliant photographs, but actually I found they do come out really clear, and quite detailed. Sure, there are a few blurs where my daughter has tried to capture something that is moving, but overall the photos are good enough for my daughter to be very impressed with them - especially as she can add borders, stamps, and other special effectts. She was very chuffed with her kaleidescope photo of the guinea pigs, and laughed her head off when she managed to put mummy in prison . I'm pleased that the camera has an inbuilt flash, which helps in darker environments. Video shooting was just as easy, with the camera easily picking up movement and recording sound .

The camera has 16mb or internal memory, which I found got full quite quickly as my daughter really enjoyed shooting movies . However, this wasn't a problem, as once the software for the camera was installed on my computer (an easy and painless process) data could be easily trasferred to my PC via the USB cable and stored there, so she never loses her photographs or videos .

There are also some games on the camera - making it great for taking on holiday to keep her amused on otherwise boring game journeys. She loves having her own games console, and particularly enjoyes one of the games that is very similar to dance dance revolution .

Overall, my daughter has been very happy with this camera - and if my daughter is happy, then I'm happy . She's dropped it no end of times, and it shows no signs of wear or tear, barring a small dent in the rubber on one side. Perhaps my one criticism of this camera is that for those families with more than one child, who may wish their children to share a camera, there is no unisex colour scheme .

A great toy for my daughter, decent enough pictures and a sturdy toy . 4 stars
on 21 February 2010
bought for my daughters 3rd birthday as she had become totally obsesed with my camera, she LOVES it, takes good quality pics, has easy to use games and she can even change the serttings/alter images herself, was worried about it costing me a fortune in bateries but we are still on the 1st lot and shes taken loads and loads of pics!!! i also have a 14 month old that has had hold of and dropped the camera on many occasions so it is very durable, we added and SD card to maek it easier to upload pics to the computer...all round great item would totally buy again!!! 5/5 rating!!!
on 22 August 2010
Hi,
I bought this camera for my 6 year old daughter, after opting for it instead of a normal digital camera, and have found it to be a good buy. It is fun and durable, as it says on the packet, and the fact that it says 3+ doesn't mean it's too young for her, it's just a guide. She has had much more fun with it than she would a normal camera, as she can play games on long car journeys, play around with the simple editing features and have fun with friends adding different shapes and images to pictures, plus make fun longer videos when adding an SD card. And as it's simple to use, she was able to work out all the functions easily for herself. The screen could be bigger, and the photos aren't super high quality but certainly good enough...but it's about how much fun they can have with it, right? Good luck with your purchase.
on 12 January 2011
I was a bit dubious about buying this camera for my eight year old daughter. After reading the reviews I thought it may be more suited to younger children and was worried about the picture quality. I couldn't have been more wrong. This is the most played with Christmas present my daughter received this year, plus it was the gift that the whole family had most enjoyment with. My daughter got to grips with the various buttons and features very quickly and was soon asking everyone to pose for her. What a laugh when we saw the photos with all the funny enhancements she had used that are standard on the camera. She announced that on Christmas Day evening she was going to give us all a slide show. I connected the camera quickly and easily to the TV and away she went, all by herself. What a scream. Photos with fat cheeks, long necks, framed with pirate eye patches and jail cells, and one or two normal photos too. The quality of the photos was very good even on a 40" TV screen. She has given several slide shows to family visitors too and they all genuinely have had a great laugh - not a pretend one that you often have to muster up to make the kids feel valued. The camera was used again all day on Boxing Day and she then went on the PC to edit them. Very easy. Great experience and preparation for learning to use adult photo editing software in the future. She hasn't edited any more on the pc yet because the built-in options on the camera are varied enough and very easy to use. Well worth the money. No criticisms at all. My eleven year old son has had a great time using the camera too, on the few occasions he has managed to get his hands on it!! Fabulous gift. Full marks.
on 21 July 2010
I bought this as a present for my 4 year old grand daughter. She loves it - the photographs are fun and she is having so much fun with it. Robust, it does everything it says. I couldn't be more pleased with it.
on 15 January 2010
Bought the Vtech kidizoom for my 6 yr old daughter for xmas, thinking it may be a little young for her. She's absolutely loving it...the games are easy and fun;she's getting the hang of zooming in for decent photos and uses it everyday.
It's very robust and has some 'feel' appeal, only negatives are poor photo resolution and due to heavy use it gets through batteries quite quickly!

See one answered question