4.0 out of 5 stars Good product with some niggling irritations
It worked fine straight out of the box; straight plug and play. The Firewire800 offers good performance. It is easy to find a place for it on a desktop, without creating mess and clutter.
Published on 26 Mar 2010 by J. Bull

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive software is this drives let down
Published on 24 Mar 2010 by K. Clifforth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product with some niggling irritations, 26 Mar 2010
J. Bull - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital 1TB USB 2.0 MyBook Studio External Hard Drive with FireWire 800 (Personal Computers)
The WD Smartware is an irritation as I don't want it. As it comes mounted in a disk partition, it is a nuisance to dispose of it. With a number of these devices, you get the same thing every time. There could be a better and less intrusive way to offer it.
The other irritation is lack of control over the disk spinning down when not in use for a while, creating a subsequent delay when starting up. As I run my system 24/7 as a server, this is a persistent irritation.
However, overall it appears to be a perfectly good and reliable disk system that generally works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bootable backup drive for Macs, 12 Jun 2010
I bought this drive to use with a new Mac Mini running Snow Leopard with Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition. Having read the reviews here I decided that I didn't want to use the software that came with the drive so I erased the drive with Disk Utility, then made two partitions - My Mac Mini backup formatted to Mac OS extended, and Windows 7 backup fomatted to FAT. (Windows 7 will reformat to NTFS when installing). I then backed up my Macintosh HD to the first partition using Carbon Copy Cloner. In spite of what you can read here, this creates a bootable drive, so now I use CCC to backup instead of Time Machine. It's a very nice programme which I have used for a long time to make a bootable backup of my old Powerbook G4 (running Tiger) on to a pocketable Formac Disk Mini.
On the Windows side, I just used Backup and Restore which does a neat job and offers you the the opportunity to create a bootable repair disc on a dvd-rw. It could not be simpler. If you only use Windows it is simple to re-format the drive into NTFS or FAT.
Incidentally, I decided while doing all this, that the Bootcamp partition I had made was really too small, so, after some searching on the web, I downloaded Winclone which makes a copy of your Bootcamp partition's contents, stores it on your Mac, and then reloads it after you have made a new Bootcamp partition. Easy!
The drive is finished in a nice brushed aluminium which goes well with the Mac Mini and Powerbook and is quite small and unobtrusive sitting on a windowsill in front of my desk. I only use the Firewire 800 cable although it comes with USB cable as well.
All in all an great product at a good price. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Advice for Windows 7 users., 18 Jun 2010
Windows 7 does not recognize the drive out of the box. All you will see is the installation files as a CD Rom within My Computer. You will need to use Windows' disk management tool to format the drive. See the WD website under installation for full instructions. Once I followed these, the drive worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hard drive, shame about the software, 5 Jun 2010
Mark Booth (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Love this hard drive, large capacity and nice and quick with the Firewire interface, its just annoying that you are forced to install the annoying included software in order to set the title on the LCD display so it did take me a while to get going as I had to install and enable that, set the title, then turn off and uninstall the software!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet & quick, 23 Feb 2010
R. Clapham (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I mainly use mine as a Mac Time Machine. It has been quiet and unobtrusive. I initially had problems but finally discovered that I had a corrupt file on my computer, once deleted the hard disk has operated flawlessly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice compromise on price and size, 17 Dec 2009
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The drive has a pass through firewire 800 port; on my Mac Pro firewire 800 is considerably quicker than USB2 at copying files. If you are unsure of what you can use on your computer you are likely better off with a USB drive which is more universal; but if you have a firewire 800 socket then its worth finding a disk drive that supports it. The 1TB MyBook Studio is a Firewire 400 and 800 compatable device with a nice compromise on the price / storage capacity equation.

The 2Tb drive is almost twice the price and I feel that 1TB is plenty of storage for most people (even at the 25mb a picture for the photos from my new Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)) I bought it to handle my growing itunes library which has outgrown my previous 500Gb drive. The drive is very quiet even when copying my original itunes data over and pretty quick; for those with nice computers then it looks pretty good (especially compared to my black plastic previous drive.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive!, 26 Oct 2010
D. Watson "SE Addick" (S.E. London, UK) - See all my reviews
For the price this is a wonderful hard drive. Does not make any sound unlike my other hard drive I have. Set up was easy. It's only small so it sits on my computer desk easily. All round thumbs up! Now have Time Machine running backing up onto it with no probs at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reliable drive that can reboot a mac!, 30 May 2010
I bought this drive for use with my Apple Macbook. It does come with back up software, which some might find useful, but which I did not need, so deactivated it and hid the virtual cd. A process which you are told how to do in the instructions, which are supplied.

As I wanted to use this drive for use with both Time machine and as a bootable backup, I reformatted the drive into 400 and 600gb partitions, using SuperDuper to create a bootable clone of my Macbook. Some here seem to have had problems doing this, however mine worked perfectly and successfully rebooted with the supplied firewire cable and adaptor. The other partition works great with Time machine. The only small problem whilst using firewire to connect is that the drive sometimes disappears from the desktop when waking my Macbook from sleep, this isnt a problem with USB however, so I use this for day to day running, and Firewire just for rebooting when needed.

The display on the front of the drive is useful and marks it apart from others on the market. I have now been using this drive for a few weeks and have found it to be both reliable and quiet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive software is this drives let down, 24 Mar 2010
K. Clifforth (Berks UK) - See all my reviews
I received this WD 1TB drive and wanting to see if the software was any good there are a few bad comments about it on amazon,I updated the software from the WD site and managed to name the drive and turn off the virtual drive I then set about backing up my iMac 21.5 with 8GB of ram, Thats when the whole computer ground to a halt spinning beach ball,and on starting firefox it took well over a 2 minutes for it to open attempts to force quit didn't work.
I had to hard shut down to stop the WD software,on restart I unistalled the WD software and went back to my old program iBackup. This worked great and no waiting for firefox it was up in seconds.
Now of course I have a WD drive with the display showing I have 998Gb free but have over 130Gb of movies on the drive. My advise great drive looks good the firewire works a dream but the software stay well away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain less set-up for Macs, 2 Dec 2010
I can only write a true review after several years of faultless service. But for set-up and a few weeks of use on a MacBookPro for Time Machine backups I can not fault it, very quick and virtually plug and play setup. The virtual CD is a quirky feature but can be switched off easily. The FireWire is much faster than USB as it should be. There is supplied backup software but as I use Time Machine I can not speak about that. The dive is very quite and the small desk profile a useful feature.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›