4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad album
This was a suprise to me, the last being 'catfights and spotlights' was not as good as previous albums and even though I admit the music hasn't been the same since Mutya left it is still good.

Published on 8 May 2010 by Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars A Major Step Backwards
Published on 16 Mar 2010 by M. D. Smart

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad album, 8 May 2010
Baz (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)

Get sexy is catchy and the new girls vocals instead of Keisha on this track was very suprising on my first listen. She seems to lack the soul that Keisha had in her voice, but she is still a good singer.

Wear my kiss and about a girl are good songs too, quite catchy with the bad da da's.

Another cool track is wait for you. Should be a single.

The album is good, a couple of tracks sound a bit out there. But i think it comes down to personal taste. Untill you listen for yourself, I can't really judge it too much. I would recommend this album though especially if you like the sugababes. But you can't really compare it to 'Three' or 'Angels with Dirty Faces', which were their best work. You just have to take it for what it is. A catchy and club/r&b sounding album.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent release, 19 Mar 2010
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sweet 7 (MP3 Download)
I have always loved the Sugababes from day one back in the late 90's and I enjoy the changes in line up as it creates a new fresh sound. I am also a fan of Jade Ewen so when they joined together I was pleased but apprehensive.

However, Jade has introduced a whole new dimension to the group and has the strongest voice of the trio. This album was due to be released earlier, but since the latest change and departure of Keisha the record company postponed the release date so the public could get used to the latest line up. It also gave Jade plenty of time to adjust and prove herself.

These new songs are very strong and whilst some are better than others, it is a typical Sugababes release with the same sounds and a good mix of fast and slow songs. It is also extremely fresh and up to date.

I hope this has the success it deserves and hope everyone gives Jade a decent chance before they write off the babes!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Major Step Backwards, 16 Mar 2010
M. D. Smart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of the Sugababes since the beginning; over the past ten years they've been responsible for some of the best British pop around. However, the band has been struggling to find its early form ever since Mutya left in late 2005, and now Keisha is gone too. Whatever the rights and wrongs of her departure, it's the music that really matters and I had hoped that this latest personnel reshuffle might have reinvigorated the group. Unfortunately it appears the band has completely lost everything that made it special. New member Jade has a good voice, there's no question, but it's too close to Heidi's lower range and the heavy use of autotune makes the vocals even more indistinct. Without Keisha's soulful tones the band no longer has its trademark blend of three different yet complimentary voices. However, it's the poor quality of the material that really hurts this album.

There is absolutely no sign of the feisty personality that once defined the Sugababes; instead there's a selection of generic American club tunes like Wait For You and She's A Mess which could be anyone, coupled with banal lyrics which boil down to "we're really sexy" and "we wanna party", tackily throwing in a few designer names like every US r'n'b act seems to do now - where are the strong independant women who sang female anthems like Stronger, Hole In The Head, Round Round, etc.? I'm all for artists evolving their sound, but this is a huge step backwards, not forwards. The simple fact is this kind of material doesn't suit the group at all; the whole thing is uncomfortable and unconvincing, especially Amelle's dreadful cor-blimey-guv rapping (She's A Mess is a particularly cringemaking example). Wear My Kiss is pretty catchy, and Crash 'n' Burn is about the best of a bad bunch of ballads, but nothing here is even fit to clean the boots of the group's previous best.

No doubt the die-hards will dismiss these comments as 'pro-Keisha bias', but the truth is that even if she hadn't left, this would still be a very poor album. A huge disappointment and a sad day for British pop.

2.0 out of 5 stars this group should not be called the Sugababes, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
I was a massive fan of the 'proper' Sugababes - Keisha, Mutya and Heidi - even after Amelle replaced Mutya they still produced some very good music - but how can you have a girl band called the Sugababes without Keisha? Not only was she the main songwriter, but the very name "Sugababes" stems from the band's first days just out of school, where Keisha's nickame was "Sugababe" and this gave the band its distinctive name; Keisha, Mutya and Siobhan/Heidi then provided the very distinctive sound. Jade hasn't got the voice or the charisma of Keisha. Why did they hold on to the name? These are NOT the Sugababes. I like the recent tag 'SacharinBabes' - sounds about right to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars long wait, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
after a long wait, the sugababes are back and with a new member they are better than ever, some good dance tracks on this including the hits 'get sexy' and 'wear my kiss'

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it., 29 April 2010
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
It's not their best album. But I still like it. And this new line up is my second favorite. I love Jade's vocals in Thank You For The HeartBreak and no more you. I wish they could have still have had Keisha's versions in the album too. It's very addictive. I adore About A Girl, Wear My Kiss, She's A Mess, Thank You For The HeartBreak, Little Miss Perfect (All of the three girls sounded so stunning in this), No More You and Crash & Burn.

So I will support the Sugababes Past, Present and Future. <33

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best release...., 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
I've pre-ordered "Sweet 7" about 2 weeks ago, because I liked so much the singles "Get Sexy", "About a Girl" and the new one, "Wear My Kiss". I had so much expectations on this album, cos' I like this girl band since the very beginning, & I though "Sweet 7" could be one of the best albums of 2010. However, I was completely wrong.
The album sound doesn't fit with the Sugababes. There's a lot of auto-tune, a lot of vocoder stuff, and whatever. After a decade of hits & great music, I don't know what happened to them, cos' this album is not really good. Here's my track-by-track review:

* "Get Sexy": is the first single taken from the album, it was re-recorded with Jade's vocals. She sounds so, so bad in this track. I prefer Keisha's version for sure. 6/10 (10/10 Keisha's)
* "Wear My Kiss": is the third single lifted from "Sweet 7". I just fell in love with this song the first time I've heard it. It's a great piece of electropop music. Deserved a better position than it finally had on the UK Singles Chart. 10/10
* "About a Girl": the second take from the album, is really amazing! It's another great electropop-dance song, which I think is so Sugababes, it's so them. 10/10
* "Wait for You": I just don't like this song. There's a complete lack of soul in this song in my opinion, & it doesn't sound right in some parts of the song. Despite this, I give this track a 5/10
* "Thank You for the Heartbreak": This song is really catchy. One of the best songs on the album. 8/10
* "Miss Everything": this is the first song to include a feature act (Sean Kingston) since the top 20 hit "Shape" back in 2003. I just don't like this song, too much vocoder stuff. 3/10
* "She's a Mess": totally clubby!! I love it!! It sounds really good, & it could be a perfect single choice. Let's see what happens. 8/10
* "Give It to Me Now": this song is really bad. This song could be a better choice for a b-side from a single, but not for an album track. 2/10
* "Crash & Burn": nice song. It sounds like a Jordin Sparks song. 6/10
* "No More You": another flop song. I just don't like it. 3/10
* "Sweet & Amazing": not amazing at all. However, it's good enough to get a 5 out of 10.
* "Little Miss Perfect": nice ballad (not a fan of ballads). 6/10

Finally, this album is not their best of their careers. I really miss the "Taller in More Ways" & "Change" days. I don't think this album will reach the success of both albums, however, I wish them all the luck in the world, cos' they are really good. But this album is quite disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Sweet As Suga As Ever, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
I've been a big fan of Sugababes for the past 10 years and have got to say this is one of the best albums they've done. Having downloaded the album off a torrent site i have had the honour of hearing it before most people have got the chance. Yeah Keisha isn't on this album even though she released Get Sexy with Amelle and Heidi but it would be pointless having her vocals on just the one track and would cause much more bad press from so called 'fans'. My favourite track on the album is She's A Mess i hope they release it, all of the tracks on the album however could be singles in my eyes.

So to all you true fans out there do what I've done and pre-order this HOT album and support the greatest girlband of the century, you wont regret it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why jump the gun people - there's plenty of reasons why this will be good..., 17 Nov 2009
M. Hambly (London, baby!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
I wasn't going to write a thing but I was so amused by those people posting 1 star reviews (and poorly spelled ones at that!!) solely based on the fact that Keisha was asked to leave - and that was by the group's management because she is a bit of a bully by all accounts - that I felt I must try and balance things a little.

Keisha & Mutya should be proud. They started a group that's so strong now it's able to survive all the original members leaving and still be a REALLY fine act. Heidi's been in the band for long enough for it to be considered part "hers", and Amelle has been a force to be reckoned with ever since she joined, both in and out of the band. That's reason enough for those two to continue as a duo right there.

The trio is tradition for Sugababes though, and Jade's credentials are certainly worthy of inclusion within this fine company and all you need to do is listen to their new single, About A Girl to hear why they will be great. I was lucky enough to hear their first live performance on Radio1's Live Lounge where they performed that single and "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up), originally be Florence & The Machine and they were AWESOME - if you needed any proof these girls had any singing ability you should seek that out and then decide, but not before you've actually listened to their new album "Sweet 7".

People need to get a grip and stop being so naive. The girls look amazing, sound fantastic and have a great sounding single - what more do you want from a pop trio?? At least there should not be all those tedious reports about fights and jealousy, I hope the three girls realise how lucky they are to have the opportunity they have and keep churning out some great sounding records, I'll be listening and buying when they do and there's every chance they could be here in another 10yrs.

Go girls! x x x

1.0 out of 5 stars Saccharinbabes more like. :(, 30 Dec 2011
Zed (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet 7 (Audio CD)
When Keisha left this group they were no longer the Sugababes in my eyes so I, as a huge fan stopped buying their albums. The music on this album just isn't the Sugababes nor can this group ever be and it's a shame that when Keisha left the name didn't go with her. I have everything crossed hoping that Keisha, Mutya and Siobhán form a group again and blow this trash out of the water, I wouldn't want this even if it was given to me for free. If you love the babes then avoid at all costs and enjoy the back catalogue hoping for a reunion of the original members. Sweet 7 is an apt title as I enjoyed the music on this album like I would 7 artificial sweeteners in my cup of coffee in the mornings.

Sweet 7
Sweet 7 by Sugababes (Audio CD - 2010)