Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.49

on 5 September 2005
Just re-read this book again and it's still as funny as ever. Taking traditional Roman and Greek Mythology although Holt uses Greek names for some deities and Roman names for others but it doesn't detract from the story. He also given them some personality traits that you wouldn't normally associate with gods. Placing the Olympian gods into modern day life is hilarious and re-hashing a few more Greek/Roman myths into the mix just improves the story. Of course the main character is the Hero - Jason who's a typical mummy's boy despite being nearly 7 foot tall!
Read and enjoy.
on 15 July 2001
This was the first Tom Holt book that I ever read and I have been hooked ever since. Holt takes greek mythology and sets it in british suburbia with unsurpassed humour and ease. Whether you have avidly studied the classics or just have a vague idea that Zeus is the guy with the lightning you can't help but love this book. You'll never be able to watch Jason and the Argonauts the same way again :) Read today !
on 8 January 2011
Tom Holt is my favourite author, although this is my least favourite of his books. However, I think this has more to do with the fact that I read it a few pages at a time over a period of about two years, so couldn't quite recall where I was up to and kept confusing which gods were doing what and where.

If you read this in linear fashion, without reading other books in between, then I'm sure it all makes perfect sense. It is typical Tom Holt, taking mythical characters and unlikely heroes, then throwing them into new scenarios with the usual absurd consequences. All in all, another good read, if you like fantasy fiction with giggles.
on 29 August 2013
An earlyish Tom Holt book, and it shows. The humour's a little forced, the plot is more-or-less made up as it goes along, and there's not that much characterisation. Still, it's a pleasant tale of warring Greek gods Titans and Heroes, and a foretaste of the excellence to come...
on 6 July 2015
It was entertaining and readable. Solar but not as good as Pritchett. Some lovely philosophical ideas in there to think about later with a good sense of fun.
on 8 June 2014
If you like Terry Pratchett you will love this guy. I have all Mr Pratchetts works and now I have started to collect these. Brilliant
on 21 July 2014
Not my favourite by a long shot. Struggled a bit to get through it . 5th one I've read and least liked to date
on 27 October 2014
This is basically a Terry Pratchett rip off with none of the charm. Even the cover is reminiscent of Pratchett's original editions.

The book is simply a series of jokes which are all very clever but, unfortunately, they didn't make me laugh. So it was all a bit of a waste of time really.

Overall, it's OK but Pratchett was here first and does it with more panache.
on 1 November 2014
At his best
on 13 October 2006
I thought this book was very clever and very, and it actually made me laugh out loud in places much to my husbands annoyance!

Very well thought out! I loved the tube bit. As an ex commuter myself that would indeed be hell at its worse!

I would recommend this book to anyone with the understanding of the gods enough to enjoy the humour.