on 16 May 2006
After enjoying all of Kelly Armtrong's books, especially Bitten and Stolen I feel like I have been waiting for the third chapter in Elena's story for a life time.

Broken focuses on Elana Micheals the only known female werewolf in the supernatural world that coexists with the normal human world. Through the Women of the Otherworld series we have seen Elena refuse her werewolf status, accept it, reunite with mate Clay and be stolen and locked away in a laboratory and finally escape to live with the Pack (the werewolf clan).

This new adventure sees Elena help steal the infamous Jack the Rippr From Hell letter, and deal with her precnancy at the same time! As chaos ensues after the letter opens up a portal to Victorian England, Elena, Clay and the rest of te Pack race to close it and remedy the ailments it has caused.

This book shows that Kelly Armstrong is stronger than ever and is dveloping her characters to their fullest. Her writing is enigmatic which give the reader "I can;t put it down syndrome". The story is well paced and makes you keep reading right until the end. Twists and turns keep you interest as well as the further developing relationship of Elena and Clay which all Armstrong fans have been waiting for. Its great to see that the chemistry is still their and that they have become closer than ever.

For any fan this book is a must have and for anyone new to the otherworld series it is a great book to read.

A brilliant enstallment that will keep you hungry for more... Bring on more from this excellent author!
on 4 May 2006
Kelley Armstrong certainly hasn't lost her touch for setting the macabre amidst normality. Elena and Clay's story continues and this installment sees them attempting to close a portal to "Hell" that they accidently opened with a squashed mosquito! Zombie prostitutes with Syphallis, rabid rats, cholera and Jack the Ripper all nicely rolled together with Elena's advancing pregancy make for another unputdownable addition to the series.

It was nice to see that Elena and Clay whilst mellowing with age and impending parenthood into a happy couple are still freaky and screwed up enough for their lives to be nothing close to approaching normal. The story also has a very happy ending which pleased me no end. Maybe they will take a back seat for the foreseeable future and the next generation of werewolves will take the story forward.

Well worth the wait.

Check out Kelley Armstrong's website if you haven't already, the free online fiction is cracking.
on 28 April 2006
This is a fantastic book! I've always loved Kelley Armstrong's writing but found that I hadn't really clicked with Elena...until I read Broken. It has a bit of everything and I was torn between reading it slower, to make it last longer, and not being able to put it down! In the end I just couldn't stop reading and finished it wishing there was more because it was such a wonderful read.

You get to find out a bit more about one of the races, along with what's been going on with the pack since we last heard from Elena. The story in this one keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through, and I don't think there was one chapter that ended without me wanting to carry on to find out what happened next.

I'm really looking forward to the next Elena book now, which I know won't be for a few more years, but I can comfort myself knowing that book 7, even though from a different perspective, will be just as good.

If you already know and love Kelley's work then you'll love this one too. If you're looking for a new author to get hooked on then Kelley Armstrong is definately a good choice!
on 14 August 2014
Of all the Otherworld characters, I rather love reading Elena and Clay's stories. In this book Elena is asked to steal a letter and ends up letting Jack the Ripper loose in the streets of Toronto...oh and she's pregnant!
This book keeps you in suspense until all is revealed. Characters from the previous books appear as well, which helps build up the supernatural world. As the book is from Elena's point of view, you really get a sense of motherly protection towards her unborn child and her annoyance at Jeremy and Clay for being over cautious.
Admittedly, some parts were obvious to me and that left me shouting at their stupidity for not seeing this, but it didn't ruin the book for me!
Another great edition to this series.
on 20 June 2013
My favourite narrator of the series is back for book 6 in the otherworld series.

Elena is pregnant which, being the worlds only female werewolf, is unheard of and therefore has its complications. Such as the fact that Elena's pregnancy is progressing at an alarming rate and she is being plagued by dreams of miscarriage. In the middle of this however an old acquaintance Xavier (from Stolen) has been in contact and wants their help in stealing the infamous Jack the Ripper letter 'from hell'. Elena, desperate for a break from Claytons overprotectiveness, decides it is an easy enough job. That is until they accidentally open a time capsule and release a mysterious figure. Unfortunately prostitutes start being butchered, people disappear, rats go crazy with typhus and outbreaks of cholera are plaguing the city of Toronto. As much as they would like to ignore the problem, Elena is being stalked by the mysterious, knife wielding figure and they need to get home before not only Elena, but her twin babies are targeted.

I love the new tenderness in Elena and Claytons relationship. After over ten years of not letting herself love the man who turned her into a werewolf, she has finally accepted that her life is the way she wants it and the thought of having everything she ever wanted is almost in reach. Of course because of this, Elena's dream is threatened when she is at risk of losing her babies and Clayton. I also loved how Elena's character has become more fierce and determined to protect those she loves with impending motherhood. The book returns some old favourite characters in Nick, Antonio and Jamie and the plot is interesting, inventive and witty. Love this book!
on 11 February 2016
I cannot believe I missed one of this series. Even though elena is restricted in this one due to carrying the twins it's a great addition to clay and elena one of my favourite fiction couples. The only small issue was that the plot was a little weak bearing in mind these are the first werewolf births of their kind you probably wouldn't taketake a case involving dodgy magic
VINE VOICEon 27 June 2006
Even although i'm a loyal Kelley fan and have read all the series and loved them, i must say that this wasn't quite as great as the others, or at least the other pack books.

I loved seeing all the old characters again, and it was a very interesting plot, but it did seem a little repetitive. I'm sorry, but if i was completely honest, that's what i have to say.

Still though, another great Kelley Armstrong book, still better than a lot of werewolf books out there, just not quite her usual standard.
on 23 July 2011
I love Kelley Armstrong and I particularly enjoy the Otherworld series when it focuses on Elena. She's the most interesting character for me. Bitten and Stolen were both good but when the focus switched to Paige and the witches and the sorceror cabals in the next couple of books, my interest waned a little.

So, I was pleased when I realised that Broken was back to Elena. In simplistic terms, the plot has moved on a few years and Elena is pregnant. She and the rest of the pack are involved in solving a mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper which includes portals and zombies.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the main plotline. It just didn't really engage me and, although it seems silly to say this about the plot of a paranormal book, it just seemed so unrealistic, even for their world. I really dislike it when paranormal plots drag up real events or characters from history and try to add a paranormals twist to them. Just doesn't float my boat.

The best parts of the book were all the bits that had nothing to do with the main plot- Elena's pregnancy, her relationship with Clay, Jeremy and the pack, Jeremy and Jaime and so on. I found myself very disinterested in the rest of it.

Don't get me wrong. I will continue to read the Otherworld books and Kelley Armstrong's writing is still good, the characters are still great, but this one really didn't grab me plot-wise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindle edition: well formatted and very few typos :)
on 13 August 2014
I have read most of Kelly Armstrong's novels concerning supernaturals she has an intriguing concept on the subject. her characters are strong and her story ideas keep you enthralled from page one to the end so far I have read 13 of her books and have enjoyed every one of them
VINE VOICEon 29 April 2006
I got my copy in Waterstones this morning, took a chance they'd have it early. I just spent the day reading it and I wasn't disappointed!!!

Elena and Clay are closer than ever and expecting - yep Elena finally decided that she and Clay are ready for a baby. The book begins with Xavier (the teleporting demon) reappearing to ask for a favour, he needs help stealing the From Hell letter supposedly written by Jack the Ripper. The pack agrees to help in exchange for details on a mutt. The book then jumps a few months forward so Elena is 4 months pregnant and the job goes off well til blood gets spilled on the letter and a portal opens spitting out zombies and more... I don't want to give away too much of the plot but we get lots of action with all the pack involved in trying to fix the problems Victorian England is sending through to Toronto where most of the story is set, Jamie comes along to help and we meet a new Vamp - Zoe. Paige and Lucas are mentioned in the book but aren't part of the story. Things start to go wrong as Clay gets hurt and Elena is threatened ... Kelley Armstrong keeps the tension going throughout, keeping you guessing and doesn't disappoint with this newest book. I absolutely love this story and recommend it!! If you haven't read any of Kelley Armstrong's books before this book does stand alone so you could start here but i'd suggest you check out Bitten and Stolen first to get Elena and Clay's back story.

Buy this Book!!!