5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Otherworld books there are!
Published on 23 July 2010 by Claire Mill

2.0 out of 5 stars done in a hurry
Published on 26 Aug 2010 by Mrs. E. Green

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Otherworld books there are!, 23 July 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the 11th book in The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. Overall I love this series and it's one of my favourites, but I don't love every narrator. This is the first book told by Savannah and I was looking forward to it. She first appeared in book #2, Stolen, as a 12 or 13 year old witch who's mom had just been murdered. Since then she's appeared on and off as a side character, but now at 21 she's getting her first book. She's always been sassy, smart, determined and just a little dangerous, and I've always liked her, even when she was being a brat. So I figured there was a good chance I'd enjoy her story and I was looking forward to getting to know her better. Turns out, I really love her. This is one of the best Otherworld books of the series to date. For me, it's second only to book #1 Bitten, and possible book #10 Frostbitten, both told by my favourite narrator, Elena.

Savannah's story sucked me in right from the start. She's still the sassy, smart girl she's always been, and hungry to prove herself. Now she wants to take on a case solo and with Paige and Lucas (the people who raised her after her mother's death and also her bosses) on vacation and her associate (and long time crush) Adam away at a conference, now seems like the prefect time. In steps Jesse, a young PI who's worked with Lucas before, and is now looking for some help on a triple homicide case with apparent ritualistic aspects of the supernatural variety. Savannah jumps at the chance and heads to small town Columbus to see if she can solve the case. But it doesn't take long before she's making enemies and with a distinct supernatural possibility Savannah soon realises she may be next on the killers hit list.

All those traits that made her a loud mouth some times bratty kid, she uses to great advantage to work the people she needs information from. She can be brutally honest, but she's also happy to spin some pretty big tales when required. Savannah is a girl who hates to be seen as weak or vulnerable, she won't let it happen, but that doesn't mean she doesn't get scared. And it doesn't mean she doesn't have a softer side, something we've rarely seen until now. I loved getting deeper in to her head and figuring out how she works, how she thinks. She has to make some hard decisions and learns some tough lessons through this book which took their toll on her, maybe more so than we get to see here.

It was also fun getting to know Adam a little better through the eyes of someone who wants a lot more than friendship from him. But he's no the only guy who has Savannah's attention here. There is also Dallas Detective Michael Kennedy. He's the older brother of one of the victims and he arrives in Columbus at the same time as Savannah, hoping to solve the case as well. I loved the way they played off each other, particularly as Savannah's quite often shown great disregard for humans.

The story flows really well, mixing a little police procedural with witchcraft, and throws a few big shocks in along the way. I had a really hard time putting it down. Savannah is a great character to get to know, but like previous books, Kelley does a great job of creating secondary characters to love, or loathe, as well. Another plus point to this book is seeing Savannah's thoughts on some incidents that happened several books ago. She's played some big roles in the series before, despite this being the first book from her perspective, and learning how she's felt and dealt with some of those things adds something to it. There were some surprisingly intense and emotional moments in this book as well, and my heart went out to Savannah on more than one occasion. She's someone who uses a lot of her spunk to cover some pretty big issues at times, more so than I'd first have guessed.

This book has a few firsts for the series in it, but one of the most surprising ones is the ending. It was a great build up and left things completely hanging. None of the previous books have had a cliff hanger ending, but this one sure does! It's very well done and I love it as much as I hate it. The shock and surprise was felt and I'm gutted to have to wait til July next year for book #12, Spell Bound, which is also narrated (thankfully!) by Savannah.

I said it already, but I will repeat myself. This is one of the best Otherworld books to date. Kelley continues to weave great stories with great characters to keep this series fresh. With a series this long it's like settling down with an old friend for a catch up, but there is plenty of new things to keep it really interesting. If you're a fan of the Otherworld books, this is one not to be skipped! If you've yet to try them, I strongly recommend starting with book 1, Bitten, although it's not strictly needed. There is enough explanation given that you don't miss anything big with each new book, only small things, and it doesn't overload readers who've read all the previous books with repeated info. Just enough of a refresher of the most important aspects. A really great read, and I'm very excited for more books from Savannah's point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cliff hanger for Kelley's otherworld series, brilliant!, 3 Aug 2010
Well well well, if you are a fan of this series this will not dissappoint. I realise that some reviewers have not been as pleased with this book, it lacks one of the usual elements that accompany this series. The relationship progression that normally occurs for the narrator, which in this case is Savannah - a character we met in the second book of the series "Stolen" she was 12 in that book and is now aged 21. Although, she seems older than her years due to a highly volatile, supernatural life! Savannah may have fine tuned her supernatural skills early in life but this novel sees her develop maturity on other levels. It's an awakening for her that she only realises her self as she progresses through the challenges set for her by insisting on going solo, for her first case.

This book is setting the scene for Savannah's relationships to build, and bearing in mind that she is only 21, I feel it was appropriate that this element was not expoloited. Savannah grows up in the pages of book 11, this was the more important focus.

Savannah is one of my favourite characters in this series, the cliff hanger definitely suggests there is more to come with her story as the focus. I am eagerly awaiting book 12!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and witty, 10 Jun 2005
Ms. E. Blankson "emma_vampire" (london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Haunted the 5th book by Kelley Armstrong holds up the excellence of all her previous books that she has written. Eve Levine is very funny and witty character and the book also reintroduces Kristof Nash and we get to see both characters in a more humane light. Apart from showing the relationship between these characters and getting to know them better the main story line of the Nix is going on and the book swaps at times to a short description of the Nix's history which give an invaluable insight into the thing that Eve will go up against. With a great and exciting climax at the end of the book this is a definite book for the collection and one you can read again and again.
All in all the book is very funny and easy to read, it has the right balance of characters and keeps the reader highly entertained as well as giving an insight into what the after life might be like. With memorable characters such as Jamie Vegas coming back it makes the book lively, entertaining and most definitely interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars More, more, more please!, 11 Oct 2005
OMG! this is the best yet, of an already amazing series.
I love the character of Eve, a grey witch if ever there was one, and i totally loved the vision of how Heaven works. I can really picture it like that.
great characters, some old loved faces and some new, and one of the best 'baddies' the writer has come up with.
The general plot is that Eve has been dead for a few years but yearns to contact her daughter. But the dead arent meant to mix with the living, if the do all hell can break loose. Eve is sent on what seems like a wild goose chase after a particulary nasty female demon, we follow her and her's along teh rocky way.
Love, strife and the afterlife!!
Even if you have never read any of the others i'd still recomend it as each book can stand alone very well. Brilliant plot, fast pace with truly individual characters - total package!

2.0 out of 5 stars done in a hurry, 26 Aug 2010
Mrs. E. Green - See all my reviews
I have read all Of Kelley Armstrong's books and have loved them all. Bar this one. The characters are not given any definition and I truely hate it when authors leave the books on a weak cliff hanger. It just seems a really cheap way to get you to buy the next book. The story was interesting but I spent the majority of the book waiting for "something" to happen, it never really got off the ground.
Savannah is supposed to be a kick ass witch with phenomenal power but again, this is never really explored or exploited.
Overall I just got the impression that this was written in a hurry with a deadline looming, it is much, much shorter than the other books and should, in my opinion, have been marketed as youth fiction. Given the success of her YF trilogy, which I also loved despite being many years away from youth!, this could have been so much better.
Exceptionally disappointing given the 10 previous outstanding successes. I will not be rushing to buy the next installment of this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great one from Armstrong !, 22 Aug 2007
Kelley Armstrong is one of my favourite writers: she writes about strong preternatural women and though they're set in an fantasy world, they are completely believable. And unlike most writers, she has the guts to change her main character and thus avoiding the way most series end up: going downhill, because how much can you make one person do and keep it still believable ? So she takes a character she introduced in another books and makes that her main character.

In book 5, Eve Levine is that main character. In the first two books we had a werewolve, in books 3 and 4 a witch, now we have a witch/half-demon/ghost.
Her being a ghost, a big part of the book is set in the afterlife. Eve was not a "good" person like Paige, but she was a good mother and loved her daughter above everything else. So much, that she can't let go of her after she died: Eve spends most of her afterlife checking up in Savannah, though there is nothing she can do if anything would happen to Savannah. So she tries to find a way to get involved in the real world.

But then the Fates give her a job: a Nix they caught a few 100 years ago, escaped about a hundred years ago, and they've had a lot of trouble a) finding her and b) catching her. The Nix has been found three times, but escaped three times, with great damage to those they send after her. So now they send Eve "where angels fear to thread" as another review said it. And they were quit right ! Because, to catch the Nix, they need someone who can think like she does but is still a decent person. (The Fates had tried sending a serial-killer after her, but that didn't go too well).

Catching a Nix is already a full job, but Eve needs to find time to check up on Savannah and there is also Kristof, Savannah's father. And the only thing he regrets about his life is letting Eve and Savannah go, so he's not about to give her up, now that he found Eve in the afterlife !

So, if you want to know if Eve finds a way to contact Savannah, catch the Nix and avoid Kristof, you better read the book !

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunted, 26 Jun 2006
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The story of Eve, Savannah's mother. To anyone not having read any of Kelley's books this is not a good place to start, I would recommend starting at the beginning with Bitten or at the very least with Dime Store Magic, anyways ...

The story weaves much the same way as the other books in the women of the otherworld characters. Eve is a witch, we also see the re-introduction of Kristoph Nash we also see the re-appearance of other characters like Jamie Vegas, and Jeremy head of the packk (although heappears very briefly). So Eve is dead, and we see her looking in on her daughter Savannah, Eve's job is to help th0ose higher in trapping the Nix, oif Eve does succeed she can leave this plane of existence but, at a price meaning she will be leaving Kristoph behind.

I did not enjoy this as much as the others, read it if you are reading the whole series, I did not warm to Eve as much as I did the other leading characters of her other books, that said this is still a good book, just don't expect the excitement and pace of the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Want It to End!, 12 April 2007
Mr. P. M. T. Devaney "Paulie - d; )" (Manchester (UK)) - See all my reviews
I first started reading Kelley Armstrong when i got soooooo bored watching the same old stuff on MTV that I asked my Mam to lend me a book, she lent me 'Dime Store Magic' by Kelley Armstrong, and I thought let me read a chapter or two then I will get bored and put it down and continue to watch TV. HOW WRONG WAS I!! I couldnt put it down even when my favourite TV shows came on I continued to read so much i finished it in the same night, when I finished I was agonising to my Mam that I wanted more. Luckly enough She had 'Industrial Magic' which I started to read and again, finished quite quickly. I then found myself craving more like a addict, I would only think about reading more an I'd break out in cold sweat. I had to wait to read 'Haunted' which my sister had. I took my time reading this book bacause I didn't want to finish it at all. My point being that i have never read a book from a author like Kelley armstrong she is an absolute GOD SEND! (as is J.K Rowling! but thats the child in me!)

The way you feel when your reading is like you are right there next to the characters inside the book!! You are thrushed into this amazing world of witchcraft, werewolves, vampires, necromancers and god knows what! I had dreams about the book, so detailed it was like little movies in my head!

I felt that Paige, Savannah, Eve, Lucas and Jamie were my family, and felt for them when things didnt't go too well!! I was on the edge of my seat, I cried, swore!, Laughed In fact I went through every emotion in the books.

I am going to read the rest of the series started with 'Broken' tomorrow! I do hope that some major production company realise how amazing these books are that they make the series of the 'otherworld' books into films! I am hoping that by the time her new novel comes out 'No Humans Involved' that I would have finished the rest of the series and can be up-to-date with things!

After I finish the series of books I am going to read her novels that are online at [...] which are extras from these books!

So hopefully this review will make you want to read and hopefully you will become a fan just like I have! Believe my once you get bitten by the bug there ain't no cure!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected 3.5 stars, 26 Oct 2009
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
Haunted is the fifth book in the Women of the Otherworld series and has been out for years. I've read all the other books in the series, both before and after this one, but until recently this has sat untouched on my shelf. I didn't much like Eve when she appeared in the previous book, so I wasn't interested in reading a story entirely about her. But I'm currently leading the series to a friend of mine, and I decided I couldn't lend her Haunted without reading it myself first.

Haunted is different to the other books in the series because it takes place in more than one world. And in each world, there are different rules about what is and isn't possible in them. It gets a bit tiring having constant world changes, but I didn't really have a problem keeping the rules for each one straight, so it could have been worse.

I did really quite like this story, although it's not my favourite of Kelley's work. Eve's character grew on me a lot as I followed her struggles. Eve wants nothing more than to find a way to interact with her daughter, Savannah, to still be able to protect her, despite being dead. When the Fate's call in their favor, she hopes it could bring her a way to do just that. But Kristof Nast, Savannah's father (also deceased) would love for Eve to just accept she's dead and make a life with him on the other side, leaving Savannah behind. Eve's task also gets her involved with the Angels. And like the Fates, they seem to have their own agenda for Eve. One thing is for sure, Eve won't play by anyone else's rules. She'll complete her favor, as promised, but she's going to do it her way, no matter what anyone else tells her.

Overall, a really good read. Elena Michaels is still by far my favourite of Kelley's characters/narrators, but Eve's got a fun, sharp tongue and her brake the rules attitude makes for an entertaining read. Also gives us a good chance to see another part of Kelley's world and other characters from a different point of view.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it (4*) but I don't love it (5*) and I really wanted to, 24 Aug 2010
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
I am slightly in agreement with previous reviewers as I too felt this was far more a normal (rather than paranormal) crime story. Perhaps a Nadia Stafford influence - and I hated the first Nadia S story (didn't bother with the second). The magic used, other than at the denouement, was all rather childish and unnecessary - perhaps that is part of the rationale behind the great cliffhanger? Having said that, I realised at the end that what I wanted to read was THAT story (roll on July 2011) and this one didn't really matter very much to me at all. Which is a shame as I like the Savannah/Paige/Lucas novels and recently Paige and Lucas have been put on the backburner a bit.

Haunted (Women of the Otherworld Book 5)