Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 7 December 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Mr Walliams has achieved quite a feat with this book - aimed at children, it is quite child friendly and easy enough for my five year old to understand when read to her, and if taken at face value is quite an entertaining story. What makes the book special though is that there is some quite serious morality involved in the way he puts across issues of predjudice, misconceptions and sterotypes in a way that children can understand, and hopefuly learn from. For example, Mr Stinks posh accent is quite surprising to be found coming from a tramp, but does that expose my adult predjudice and preconceived ideas that tramps will all have a voice ravaged by substance abuse - my five year old daughter thinks not and accepted that Mr Stink has a history behind him which is where he gets his voice from. Guided by Walliams' very clever story telling, children are led to see people as individuals and not just stereotyped generalisations. Very commendable, educational and done in an entertaining way.

Mr Walliams, I don't understand most of the humour you put into Little Britain, but this book is excellent on many levels and if the sketch show ever dries up, I sincerely hope you develop as a children's writer and the very best of luck to you. The Little Britain in which we live needs a new Roald Dahl.
22 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2011
Mr Stink is a tramp who has a dog called Duchess. Chloe Crumb is a twelve year old girl and questions rush through her head all the time about Mr Stink. She can't help wanting to talk to him but there are a lot of reasons why she shouldn't.
1. She shouldn't talk to strangers.
2. If she gets too close to him her eyes will water with the smell.
Lots of other reasons too. Chloe has an extremely annoying little sister who is always 'Miss Perfect'. Mr Stink doesn't like being called a tramp, he prefers vagabond or wanderer. He is very fond of sausages. Chloe adores stories and that's the reason why she wants to speak to Mr Stink, she thinks that he might have an interesting story to tell. Her mother is very posh and keeps thinking that she shall become Prime Minister one day. They even have a cat called Elizabeth named after the Queen! Chloe does get bullied at School by a girl called Rosamond and her friends.

I loved this book and it made me laugh countless times. It made me feel like I was there watching it all happen. When something sad happened to someone, I imagined that I was that character. I liked the illustrations too and I liked the way David Walliams put lots of detail into stuff. I have read this book twice and I enjoyed it both times.

I liked this in my own opinion and it is one of my favourites. I would recommend this book to over 7 year olds. Please enjoy reading this book if you get it and don't blame me if the book stinks!
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2009
Dear David Walliams,

I have just read your new book "Mr Stink" and I wanted to tell you that I liked it just as much as your first book "The Boy in the Dress"

You seem able to get into the minds of children and know what they are thinking and how they see the world around them especially the ambiguous world that grown ups inhabit. Is this possibly because you are not quite a grown up yourself?
I have read many books especially all the ones by Roald Dahl who is another writer who is able to understand the world that children inhabit. I think, one day if you go one writing like this you may well be as good as him.

In Mr Stink you have chosen to tell a story about somebody most of us would cross the road to avoid instead you have not only made him the central character in your book you give him a wonderful story to show us, the readers, how through misfortune and circumstances any of us could become the kind of person others wish to avoid.

But this is not a sad story. It is a story full of hope and understanding as Mr Stink is able to change the lives of those he does eventually come in contact with through Chloe, who in a very clever turn of literary fun, is, in fact, you, as she is the one who is writing the story of Mr Stink for us, and her family especially her bossy politically driven mother and her impossibly good-at-everything younger sister

I can only wish that there were more stories like this not just for children but for anyone to read, it is a long time since I was a child myself!

I so enjoyed Mr Stink that I want everybody I know to read the book and I feel very proud to be able to write this letter to you that, hopefully, will be published in the Amazon page for your splendid new book

p.s. I really liked the pictures by Mr Quentin Blake who seems, through his illustrations, to really get what your book is about
on 20 February 2012
I am a trainee primary school teacher and recently purchased the complete set of books by David Walliams as I had heard the continuous good reviews and was even recommended by some students in my class. Like most people on here, I too thought that it was more David Walliams name put to the book that resulted in the quick success... how wrong I was!

Just finished reading Mr Stink and like all the students in my class, I was hooked from the beginning. The idea of the story is brilliant and David Walliams clevery leaves little hints throughout the story which all come together at the end in a surprise twist. The humour is witty and clever throughout, with roars of laughter from the whole class. I can't wait to read the rest... neither can my class!!!

A must have collection, suitable for all.
on 14 August 2013
This is a brilliant book and very funny but unfortunately there are no pictures in the Kindle version. This is very unfortunate because David Walliams writes in the first page "here is a picture of Mr Stink" and then there is no picture, which I'm assuming there is in the paper version. This is repeated a few times with other characters/scenarios and the pictures are by Quentin Blake so would be good, as mentioned in the reviews. This is true on all versions of the kindle we have at home-the original, the paperwhite and the ipad. It should be mentioned in the details somewhere that there is no pictures, poor show amazon!
on 12 February 2015
As a writer, David Walliams makes a reasonably good TV comedian. Beneath the irritating attempts at Dahl-like quirkiness, this is so achingly conventional and worthy. Be yourself, kids! Follow your dreams and say 'no' to drugs - unless you wanna (the only real sin is to judge someone). And so on.

Walliams refers sniffily to Beatrix Potter at one point; but I'm afraid her books are not only much more accomplished than this, and more wholesome (which I don't see as a bad thing); they're also funnier and far more subtle. She would never have fallen into the common trap now, especially in kidlit, of thinking that crass equals funny.

The best I can say about it is that it's competent, and at least not mean spirited like Mr Gum.
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I actually read it twice even as an adult and found it very funny! I am a bit of a David Walliams fan and was excited to try his literature and it's enchanting, hilarious, a fantastic story and it certainly didn't 'Stink'!

The pictures illustrate it perfectly, you really do fell that Mr Stink and the other characters are real, Quentin Blake adds a Roald Dahl type feel to it and along with those classics, I do feel this will be loved for years to come, it is wickedly funny, I loved it, my son loved it and it's amusing enough to appeal actually to all ages though aimed for around 8-13 I'd imagine.

Lovely read, I read it in a couple of hours and was geuinely impressed how much I enjoyed this childrens book!
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2015
I have lately been curious to read the David Walliams books because they are so reminiscent of Roald Dahl. I chose this as the first book to start with because the front cover reminded me of The Twits.

The story is about a girl who befriends a smelly tramp. Her politically-inclined mother and her sister are not amused. However he is allowed to be part of the family and upstages the mother by running for political office. At the climax the girl learns that he is a former nobleman who lost his wife and home in a fire. Eventually Mr Stink mends the dysfunctional family and moves on.

As I read the book I found myself reminded of The BFG and Matilda. Interestingly enough, I saw Mr Stink as a Mary Poppins-type figure (minus the spit-spot and the spoonful of sugar) who appears and disappears out of nowhere. In any case Walliams' writing is a mix of humour and poignancy, and touches on pertinent problems that children face, notably pushy parenting and families who do not understand each other.

So far I have only read Mr Stink and Gangsta Granny. Of these two books I like Mr Stink better. The storyline is tighter and the brushstrokes are smoother. The only small thing is that I wish that Walliams had written a postscript about what happened to Mr Stink after he left. His story is like an unfinished tale. I am reminded of Mr Craven in The Secret Garden, who wandered the world to get away from the sadness of his wife's death but is healed by Mary and Colin. So I am hoping that Walliams could write something about how Mr Stink is restored and healed.

Still, this is a wonderful story, told with humour, wit and warmth. I would rate it as an excellent starting point for those who want to read the Walliams books.
on 29 May 2012
I read this book (or almost all of it) to my five-year-old son who absolutely loved it. If he hadn't, then I would have finished it off for my own reading pleasure anyway. The story is surprisingly heart-warming and tells the tale of a tramp who heals a dysfunctional family. Sounds pretty trite, but Walliams pulls it off.

Walliams was on the telly recently talking about how much he loves the books of Roald Dahl. The influence is clear. He writes with a sense of irreverent fun that delights in being rude, cocking a snoop at grown-ups who are stuck in their ways, much to the delight of children, and horror of some adults... which is why I didn't quite read it all as I did edit out a few sentences where one of the characters tells another to `stick something up their ...' Well, I'm sure you can finish that sentence. Guess that makes me one of the boring old adults, because I wasn't quite ready for my son to repeat that language at 5yo. He'll be coming up with far worse in the playground within a couple of years, but not just yet.

The reason I didn't give the book full marks was the editing. In addition to grammatical errors, which didn't really affect the fun of reading aloud, there were, I think, three sentences that were just plain wrong. That was really annoying. I was reading aloud, doing silly character voices, in full swing... and... BANG! I hit a sentence with typos that hadn't been edited properly and I crashed and burned.

I read the Kindle edition. Don't know whether that was significant. There was a stink last year about a book by Neal Stephenson that had errors in the Kindle edition but okay in the paperback. Perhaps this book is the same. The paperback might be okay. Still, that was very annoying -- especially as the eBook costs more than the paperback -- but we still enjoyed the story, which is the main thing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 January 2016
This is a similar read to Gangsta Granny, by the same author, which I preferred. Only this one is a tale about a girl, and instead of a relative she is spending time with a dirty old tramp. Mr Stink as everyone calls him, smells bad and has a small smelly dog, but is harmless and sits on the park bench every day. We see that the young girl's home life and school life is quite miserable, which is why she feels unwanted and friendless, much like the tramp in fact. This leads to some amusing adventures and even a visit to a TV studio.

There is a warning not to talk to strangers or get into cars, but at the same time we see that homeless people are people who appreciate kindness and may have had bad fortune in life. The antiheroine of the tale is in fact the politically ambitious, social climbing mother, more so as she makes much of one daughter and forgets the other, while even her kind husband is reluctant to tell her about his problems.

I was an early reader and by four I had learned from books that boys got to go out, travel and have adventures but girls had to stay in and keep house. Therefore I decided I was going to act like a boy, because they clearly had the better deal. In Gangsta Granny we see a boy who gets to plan and carry out a raid on the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London. In Mr Stink we see a girl who cooks sausages, runs a bath, invites a tramp to make a home in the shed and cooks him breakfast. Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose.