5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens book with an adult message
Published on 7 Dec 2009 by sb

2.0 out of 5 stars Why full price but no pictures?
Sorry, I'm losing patience with Kindle, we have all locked ourselves into buying books from Amazon alone but they are not really being very fair when a kids book is sold without illustrations.

Published on 2 Mar 2011 by Stone the Crows

5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens book with an adult message, 7 Dec 2009
sb (Lancaster) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mr Walliams has achieved quite a feat with this book - aimed at children, it is quite child friendly and easy enough for my five year old to understand when read to her, and if taken at face value is quite an entertaining story. What makes the book special though is that there is some quite serious morality involved in the way he puts across issues of predjudice, misconceptions and sterotypes in a way that children can understand, and hopefuly learn from. For example, Mr Stinks posh accent is quite surprising to be found coming from a tramp, but does that expose my adult predjudice and preconceived ideas that tramps will all have a voice ravaged by substance abuse - my five year old daughter thinks not and accepted that Mr Stink has a history behind him which is where he gets his voice from. Guided by Walliams' very clever story telling, children are led to see people as individuals and not just stereotyped generalisations. Very commendable, educational and done in an entertaining way.

Mr Walliams, I don't understand most of the humour you put into Little Britain, but this book is excellent on many levels and if the sketch show ever dries up, I sincerely hope you develop as a children's writer and the very best of luck to you. The Little Britain in which we live needs a new Roald Dahl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Amazing Mr Stink, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Mr Stink (Paperback)
I am eight years old and I found this book easy to read. The book was "super amazing" and very funny, but also sad in places. David Walliams's excellent discriptions made me paint a picture of Mr Stink in my head. I was always stopping up late to read another chapter because the book was such a page turner. The next book I am going to read will definitely be by David Walliams.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad Smell - Great Story, 28 Oct 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
David Walliams will already be well known to you
as a co-creator of 'Little Britain', cross-channel
swimmer and invererate London socialite.

That he has also extended his not inconsiderable talents
into the world of childrens' fiction is to be applauded.
His first book 'The Boy In A Dress' was a hoot and his
newest venture 'Mr Stink' is a worthy second outing.

Mr Walliam's seems to have a good understanding about
the importance of keeping a healthy balance between the
thoughts and deeds of both goodies and baddies in his narrative.

Like the inestimable Roald Dahl before him he knows what
makes a worthy hero/heroine and the value of the grotesque.

Poor Chloe doesn't have the strongest sense of self-worth
on the planet and this is hardly surprising given her
diabolical mother, ghastly little sister Annabelle and
somewhat spineless but harmless father.
That she has survived them at all is a minor miracle.

Her friendship with an especially smelly but urbane tramp
called Mr Stink highlights the importance of honest inner
values over judgements made on the basis of outer appearance.

Mr Stink has a painful story to tell and Mr Walliams leads us slowly to the
stark truth with considerable pathos, sensitivity and ribald good humour.

Along the way there are some fine set-pieces; not least
of all Mr Stink's hillarious appearance on 'Question Time'
and a cringe-inducing audience with a callous, insensitive
and hypocritical Prime Minister.

There are "bottom" jokes in abundance for those who like that sort
of thing and even a brief reference to Mr Walliams' iconic
"lemon drizzle cake" to knowingly nudge and tease us.

A stonkingly good story with a strong moral foundation, cunningly
illustrated, as ever, by the peerless and stupendous Quentin Blake.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a stinker!, 15 April 2010
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hats off to David Walliams - this story is beautifully written. A tender, humourous look at the twists and turns of life and how first appearances can be deceptive, this is a book that should be popular with parents and children alike. Walliams deals with his subject extremely sensitively but also allows his sense of humour to shine through. The characters are well fleshed out and whilst Mr Stink may have stunk the book certainly doesn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting., 27 Dec 2012
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mr Stink (Kindle Edition)
When Chloe finds a very stinky tramp sitting on a park bench she immediately feels sorry for his plight not however, for nearly being sick because he and his dog, Duchess both smell soooooooooo awful.

She doesn't like to think of him sleeping on the streets because after all to her eyes, he is very old so she hatches a plan to shelter him. Where, would be a spoiler so you will have to read the book and find out.

It would seem that Mr. Stink hasn't always been a tramp either judging by his refined manners and some of the articles he has about his person.........who is he really and what is running from?

This is a delightful book for adults and children alike both funny and sad in places. I love the way Walliams has made Chloe's Mother turn out........she is a martinet and runs the household like a sergeant major. She favours Chloe's younger sister and is always shouting at her poor beleagered husband that their name is not Crumb but 'Croooooome'. Shades of Hyacinth Bucket here :-)

I watched the tv adaptation of this book and have to say it was done really well and Hugh Bonneville played a 'Stinkingly Stinky' part as Mr. Stink.

Funny and entertaining and really highly recommended. Also not overly long for children to lose interest in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why full price but no pictures?, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: Mr Stink (Kindle Edition)

If you have read any of Mr Walliams books you will know that the pictures are great and a part of the story so to discover that we have agian been suckered into paying full price for a book without picturs (even when the illustrator is given credit on the listing) is too much.

Really disappointed with Kindle.

Don't get me started on the editing and spurious hyphens!!!!

Great book though. Suggest you go to Tescos and get the good old paperbook for 4.99 - with illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, delightful, a future classic!, 29 July 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I actually read it twice even as an adult and found it very funny! I am a bit of a David Walliams fan and was excited to try his literature and it's enchanting, hilarious, a fantastic story and it certainly didn't 'Stink'!

The pictures illustrate it perfectly, you really do fell that Mr Stink and the other characters are real, Quentin Blake adds a Roald Dahl type feel to it and along with those classics, I do feel this will be loved for years to come, it is wickedly funny, I loved it, my son loved it and it's amusing enough to appeal actually to all ages though aimed for around 8-13 I'd imagine.

Lovely read, I read it in a couple of hours and was geuinely impressed how much I enjoyed this childrens book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite charming, funny, and satisfying, 20 Jan 2010
David B "Piano David" (GOUROCK, Renfrewshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mr Stink (Hardcover)
This is quite a charming little story. Chloe's warmhearted endeavours to help Mr Stink lead to his engagement with her problematical family. He proves to be a catalyst leading to changes in Chloe and her family's situation, and then moves on, himself mostly unchanged. I'm not quite clear on how, when he moves into Chloe's family's shed, Mr Stink should happen to possesss pyjamas. But perhaps that's a quibble. The writing is enjoyable, and the resolution for Chloe and her family is a satisfying one. I hope Mr. Walliams will give us more stories in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all ages!, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Mr Stink (Hardcover)
I am a trainee primary school teacher and recently purchased the complete set of books by David Walliams as I had heard the continuous good reviews and was even recommended by some students in my class. Like most people on here, I too thought that it was more David Walliams name put to the book that resulted in the quick success... how wrong I was!

Just finished reading Mr Stink and like all the students in my class, I was hooked from the beginning. The idea of the story is brilliant and David Walliams clevery leaves little hints throughout the story which all come together at the end in a surprise twist. The humour is witty and clever throughout, with roars of laughter from the whole class. I can't wait to read the rest... neither can my class!!!

A must have collection, suitable for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Stink, 25 Jan 2011
Mrs. Tracy R. Miller "millpheonix" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Stink (Audio CD)
Brought this for my son aged 11 as he has trouble getting to sleep and loves to listen to something before bed. This CD was absolutely fab in every aspect in fact I came in and listened to it as well. The moral of the story is very good and it was a real pleasure to listen to it. Well written and well read!!

Mr Stink