5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Insight into a True Warrior
The thing about Lawrence Dallaglio is that he doesn't do things by halves. Typically, he has written the story of his life in a style that is never dull, that is full of humanity and, perhaps surprisingly, offers us more far more emotional depth than you get in sports biographies. When he plays for Wasps or England, Dallaglio gives his all and he has done the same with...
Published on 21 Nov. 2007 by Martin Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Fan of Lawrence but not for this
Lawrence Dallaglio is one of my heroes; I have the picture of him in my head, powering over the try line with half the Welsh team trying to hold him back. In the book, I found much that was familiar so not breaking new ground. Out of the 4 rugby biographies I have read, it comes 4th, behind Woodward, Catt, and Johnson. This could have been so much better if the associate...
Published on 12 Dec. 2011 by Keith Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Nov. 2007
D. Chutter "Bathfan" (UK) - See all my reviews
After watching this guy play at Wasps and for England over the years it was a must read.The book is easy to read and keeps you interested throughout,LD is a fantastic player who sometimes plays beyond the rules but is a charachter who you must admire (and I am a Bath fan!).
Buy this book and you will not be dissapointed,LD spills his heart over the death of his sister and you sometimes wonder how the guy continued to play at the level he has for the past 15 years.
Whatever your views on the man as a player this book will keep you entertained from cover to cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Mar. 2008
S. Glossop "sgg" (uk) - See all my reviews
I am a bit amazed by some of the other reviews of this book. I am a big rugby fan and having been given this for Christmas 2007 was looking forward to insightful read of a insiders view of the 2003 rugby build up and how he really found it breaking into the senior game from the junior ranks. It reads like someone desperately trying to remember some of the past and also some of the really big games are brushed over in 1-2 pages if that. the News of the World incident receives many pages more other important events in his life, which quite frankly I would rather read about. All in all disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting in places, but too often its very dull., 16 Jan. 2008
Amazon Customer "Dan Bell" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First of all I have huge admiration for Lawrence Dallaglio and truly believe he is one of the best players to have worn the England shirt. His achievements in club and international rugby cannot be matched by many other players. To that end, I was really looking forward to this book but I have to disagree with most of the reviews on here because I found it to be pretty dull.

For a man who has spent most of his adult life playing rugby there were too few off field stories which stuck in your mind. There was far too much emphasis on individual games on what happened on the pitch. A lot of the time it felt as though I was reading a match report which would have appeared in any newspaper around the time of each game.

The chapter on his sister's tragic death is moving and you get a real sense of the shock that was felt by his whole family.

Overall though, this book was very disappointing. I have read numerous sporting autobiographies and usually at the end you feel as if you know the person a bit better. Apart from the chapter about his sister's death and how he was set up by The Sun newspaper, there was not a lot that hadn't been reported elsewhere, just not in his own words. Sadly at the end I felt he had skimmed the surface and could have offered so much more. Even behind scenes at the 2007 world cup has been well documented and Dallaglio adds nothing new here.

Another problem with the book is that it is painfully obvious that it was not written by Dallaglio himself. Hearing him speak he is very intelligent and articulate but this rarely comes across on the page.

If you want a truly in depth and fascinating autobiography then buy Martin Johnson's instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read from a sporting legend, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: It's in the Blood: My Life (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book from one of my favourite England players. Easy to read and the stories of his England tours were those I enjoyed the most. The story of his downfall left a bit out I thought. There was perhaps more to read between the lines than in them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rugby Read!!!, 3 April 2013
Loved it. Very interesting read any Rugby Fans will love it. Well done Lawrence!! Gives a inside look at the England Team and some funny stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars LBND - Honest?, 16 Dec. 2008
I echo all the above about the detail, emotion, humour, variety of topic covered and sincerity of feeling. But at the risk of sounding harsh to Lol, I do wonder how honest he was over the circumstances of the 1999 newspaper 'sting'. For instance, he says the 'drugs' stories were based on adolescent transgressions by others into which he inserted himself - fine, but he makes no attempt to explain the 'Amsterdam' incident (I can't be more explicit, kids could be reading this) with fellow Lions. And his response to the 'honeytap' allegation, is quite interesting too: speaking of his attitude toward journalist Louise Oswald; he says there was no offer of intimacy (as it were) from her, he didn't find her attractive, and, they weren't given the opportunity anyway. All of which immediately raised 3 questions in my mind: 1) what if she had offered 'it' on a plate? 2) What if you had found her attractive, (we all occasionally fancy someone other than our partner.) And 3) what if you had been left alone together? WOULD YOU HAVE AT LEAST BEEN TEMPTED??? If someone accused me of being even tempted in such circumstances, my only response would be, 'no way, because I love my wife far too much and wouldn't even contemplate another woman.'
I'm sorry to sound like a heretic and blight the unbroken praise of all previous reviews, but to any thinking reader, these are surely questions that must come to mind.
But, that said, I looked forward to this book for well over a year, and, was not disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but holds back...., 26 Aug. 2008
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I remember the 2003 World Cup campaign well and Lawrence Dallaglio was one of the English heroes who played a big part in it. He was (proudly) the only player to have played every minute of every match - although there were reasons for this. I enjoy biographies and have read several of sporting legends (Ali, Armstrong...er Tony Cascarino) but none has been that exceptional. Sadly, this is the case here too as while it has its moments, it quite workman-like although generally readable.

He came from a secure and loving family and is at pains to point this out. His parents were very supportive and they worked hard to give him the best education they could afford. He admits he did not give them a good return on their investment and cruised through school, only excelling on the rugby pitch. He tells us about the tragic loss of his sister in the Marchioness and the devastating effect it had on him then, and to this day. His mother's long and brave fight for a full public enquiry is an eye-opener in the face of indolence and opposition from the authorities, though Dallaglio admits he played little part in this.

His arrival at and career with his beloved Wasps club side is well documented and you have to admire the man for staying at the club he adored although there do not appear to have been many offers from other clubs. Sometimes, it can be a bit of a mates backslapping tome, as he tells of his love of a "pint and a yarn" with his friends but he seems to have made no enemies whatsoever on the way. If he did, he didn't tell us.....

I was also a bit disappointed in the way the News of the World "drug dealer" scandal was glossed over, Dallaglio blaming the drink entirely, however as one NOTW lawyer said being drunk does not give you an in-depth knowledge of the drugs world. If he had addressed specific allegations made in the papers, his explanations would have had more credibility. It cost him the England captaincy but he is one of those players who just wanted to play for the white shirt at all costs, and you get the impression he really meant that.

There are interesting passages on his relationship with Clive Woodward, an extremely clever and talented coach. It was a rocky ride at times but the mutual respect was there. Johnny Wilkinson comes across as a shy character who doesn't enjoy the limelight (shouldn't be such a good goal kicker then should he). Club fans will enjoy the accounts of battles against Leicester and the Toulouse etc, whilst international fans will enjoy the World Cup and Lions accounts equally as much.

A good read for the England and Wasps rugby fan though it could have been better had the surface been scratched a bit deeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 5 July 2013
My Husband loved this book as it was a present for him and he still reads part again and again. He is a rugby nut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Nov. 2007
Kl Moore "Dezzy" (England) - See all my reviews
After having this book on order for months i was not disappointed. I thought it started off slowly but i was gutted to have finished it!! It gives you a real insight into the man that epitomises English rugby. If its there to be said he says it, which some people don't like but at the same time holds his hands up to his mistakes.
This is a great insight into one of England's best ever rugby players, and a must read for all rugby fans. I particularly liked the section on the 2007 World Cup preparation. If only he had been given the same treatment as Jason Robinson!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader, 14 Nov. 2011
Arrived on time,it was a present for someone and they were very impressed with the item and would recommend it.

It's in the Blood: My Life