5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Insight into a True Warrior
Published on 21 Nov 2007 by Martin Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but holds back....
Published on 26 Aug 2008 by tallpete33

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Insight into a True Warrior, 21 Nov 2007
The thing about Lawrence Dallaglio is that he doesn't do things by halves. Typically, he has written the story of his life in a style that is never dull, that is full of humanity and, perhaps surprisingly, offers us more far more emotional depth than you get in sports biographies. When he plays for Wasps or England, Dallaglio gives his all and he has done the same with his book. There is Lawrence the choirboy, Lawrence the miscreant, Lawrence the rugby player, Lawrence the bereft and confused sibling, Lawrence the Lion, Lawrence the Warrior, Lawrence the struggling partner to Alice, Lawrence the abandoned - this is a book that takes you through the full range of his experiences and leaves you with a deep sense of Lawrence the Man. Sometimes we sympathise with him, occasionally we don't but we always care. And that's the greatest testimony to the book. On the pitch, he was one of the great No.8s and he has produced an autobiography that will be ranked up there with the very best of the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for more than rugby fans, 17 April 2009
Mr. Jon Forster "sensor" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am certainly not a Wasps fan but very much enjoyed this book. He seems to come across as much more personable than when he is on TV. His story is well written and is very enlightening into him as a person. I would certainly recommend it to nay rugby fan but would further than that to say it is a great read for anyone looking for inspiration in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The gentlemen that is, Lawrence Dallaglio, 11 Feb 2009
Lawrence Dallaglio tells his life story as it is. All his trails & tribulations are in this book, both personal & professional.

If you enjoy reading Sports autobiographies, then I thoroughly recommend this book. Highly enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars LBND - Honest?, 16 Dec 2008
I echo all the above about the detail, emotion, humour, variety of topic covered and sincerity of feeling. But at the risk of sounding harsh to Lol, I do wonder how honest he was over the circumstances of the 1999 newspaper 'sting'. For instance, he says the 'drugs' stories were based on adolescent transgressions by others into which he inserted himself - fine, but he makes no attempt to explain the 'Amsterdam' incident (I can't be more explicit, kids could be reading this) with fellow Lions. And his response to the 'honeytap' allegation, is quite interesting too: speaking of his attitude toward journalist Louise Oswald; he says there was no offer of intimacy (as it were) from her, he didn't find her attractive, and, they weren't given the opportunity anyway. All of which immediately raised 3 questions in my mind: 1) what if she had offered 'it' on a plate? 2) What if you had found her attractive, (we all occasionally fancy someone other than our partner.) And 3) what if you had been left alone together? WOULD YOU HAVE AT LEAST BEEN TEMPTED??? If someone accused me of being even tempted in such circumstances, my only response would be, 'no way, because I love my wife far too much and wouldn't even contemplate another woman.'
I'm sorry to sound like a heretic and blight the unbroken praise of all previous reviews, but to any thinking reader, these are surely questions that must come to mind.
But, that said, I looked forward to this book for well over a year, and, was not disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but holds back...., 26 Aug 2008
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I remember the 2003 World Cup campaign well and Lawrence Dallaglio was one of the English heroes who played a big part in it. He was (proudly) the only player to have played every minute of every match - although there were reasons for this. I enjoy biographies and have read several of sporting legends (Ali, Armstrong...er Tony Cascarino) but none has been that exceptional. Sadly, this is the case here too as while it has its moments, it quite workman-like although generally readable.

He came from a secure and loving family and is at pains to point this out. His parents were very supportive and they worked hard to give him the best education they could afford. He admits he did not give them a good return on their investment and cruised through school, only excelling on the rugby pitch. He tells us about the tragic loss of his sister in the Marchioness and the devastating effect it had on him then, and to this day. His mother's long and brave fight for a full public enquiry is an eye-opener in the face of indolence and opposition from the authorities, though Dallaglio admits he played little part in this.

His arrival at and career with his beloved Wasps club side is well documented and you have to admire the man for staying at the club he adored although there do not appear to have been many offers from other clubs. Sometimes, it can be a bit of a mates backslapping tome, as he tells of his love of a "pint and a yarn" with his friends but he seems to have made no enemies whatsoever on the way. If he did, he didn't tell us.....

I was also a bit disappointed in the way the News of the World "drug dealer" scandal was glossed over, Dallaglio blaming the drink entirely, however as one NOTW lawyer said being drunk does not give you an in-depth knowledge of the drugs world. If he had addressed specific allegations made in the papers, his explanations would have had more credibility. It cost him the England captaincy but he is one of those players who just wanted to play for the white shirt at all costs, and you get the impression he really meant that.

There are interesting passages on his relationship with Clive Woodward, an extremely clever and talented coach. It was a rocky ride at times but the mutual respect was there. Johnny Wilkinson comes across as a shy character who doesn't enjoy the limelight (shouldn't be such a good goal kicker then should he). Club fans will enjoy the accounts of battles against Leicester and the Toulouse etc, whilst international fans will enjoy the World Cup and Lions accounts equally as much.

A good read for the England and Wasps rugby fan though it could have been better had the surface been scratched a bit deeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book for a charistmatic man, 4 Nov 2007
Bernard M. Abel "bearliners" (Langley, Berks, Angleterre) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I can t even remember why i did buy that book, But one thing is sure ,. I m really glad I did , I received it 3 days ago and I ve been with my nose down since.
Okay, rugby might be called" a hooligan game played by gentlemen" BUT I can assure you that that book is by no mean rough or boring or a drag.
It is extremely well written, amazing, stunning at time and very touching at some points,.
This the portrait of one of the most charistmatic player and member of the Rose team.
If you do like an entertaining biography, and discover an amazing character.. well. enjoy the reading
I certainly did

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Nov 2007
D. Chutter "Bathfan" (UK) - See all my reviews
After watching this guy play at Wasps and for England over the years it was a must read.The book is easy to read and keeps you interested throughout,LD is a fantastic player who sometimes plays beyond the rules but is a charachter who you must admire (and I am a Bath fan!).
Buy this book and you will not be dissapointed,LD spills his heart over the death of his sister and you sometimes wonder how the guy continued to play at the level he has for the past 15 years.
Whatever your views on the man as a player this book will keep you entertained from cover to cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Mar 2008
S. Glossop "sgg" (uk) - See all my reviews
I am a bit amazed by some of the other reviews of this book. I am a big rugby fan and having been given this for Christmas 2007 was looking forward to insightful read of a insiders view of the 2003 rugby build up and how he really found it breaking into the senior game from the junior ranks. It reads like someone desperately trying to remember some of the past and also some of the really big games are brushed over in 1-2 pages if that. the News of the World incident receives many pages more other important events in his life, which quite frankly I would rather read about. All in all disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: It's in the Blood: My Life (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading this book

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 5 July 2013
My Husband loved this book as it was a present for him and he still reads part again and again. He is a rugby nut.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›