5.0 out of 5 stars A lighthearted read!
Published on 16 Nov 2010 by A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars typical and predictable
Published on 28 Jan 2008 by Mrs. S. Payne

5.0 out of 5 stars A lighthearted read!, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
After reading previous reviews of this book, I felt compelled to stand up for it! Yes it is different from My Best Friends girl and Goodnight Beautiful but it certainetly does not deserve any dire reviews. The first book I read by Dorothy Koomson was My Best Friends girl (had me crying), which I absolutely loved! Then I read The Chocolate Run (had me laughing)loved just as much as My Best Friends girl.
Then I read The Cupid Effect. This book is a lot more lighthearted that the other two that I had read, but it had me snorting with laughter. Which when you're on the train is not the best thing and will most likely get you strange looks from other passengers.
If you are thinking this book will be like Goodnight beautiful and My Best Friends Girl ITS NOT. It is definately not a deep book like those and is just a lighthearted funny read.
Would recommend to anyone who doesnt take life too seriously.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, 15 Feb 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
I'm afraid I'm one of those unadventurous types that usually buys the books piled high at the front of the shop and harped on about in every magazine, but this one I bought on a whim. I'd not heard of the author or the book before, but the description sounded a little bit different from the norm. I'm so glad I did! It's a wonderful, warm tale about a woman who people bare their souls to, who get's embroiled in the dramas of other peoples lives, but never goes looking for them and has none of her own. In fact she tries to escape by leaving her job and London and moving to Leeds, to lecture in psychology and start afresh. Ceri is an engaging character and the writing is intelligent, funny and rings so true. And how refreshing to break free from the usual vaccuous-woman-with-a-'trendy'-London-lifestyle-and-Prada-wardrobe-yawn story. Go on...try something new!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 9 April 2009
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Made me laugh out loud in places and it was a really enjoyable read. The parts where she is obsessed with Angel from Buffy was probably my favourite...reminded me of myself in my teen years when i was totally and utterly in love with David Boreanaz lol Very good character and apart from the cupid thing obviously, I could relate to this character.
I have read all of Dorothy Koomson's books and I will continue to do so :)

3.0 out of 5 stars typical and predictable, 28 Jan 2008
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
I have read 2 other books by the author and thought they were fantastic, hence me reading this one. I was left very disappointed. The characters were not believable and the storyline was very predictable. I did finish the book but found that I didn't really care what happened to the characters at all. Maybe it is because I am comparing this to My Best Friends Girl which was fantastic, that I am disappointed. I am now reading The Chocolate Run so I shall see how I get on with that one....

5.0 out of 5 stars She's all that!, 15 May 2003
Lisa Clark - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
Having read about Dorothy and her novel on a chicklit site, I had a feeling that this book would be for me...A sucker for all things romantic, I devoured it instantly. Dorothy has a refreshing approach to writing - she writes as I speak! As I read 'The Cupid Effect' it was as if I was telling the story, and having read it to my boyfriend I really was! The book is amazing, telling the story of Ceri, a chick who has a 'luuurve' effect on everyone she comes into contact with. Now if you're anything like me, you'll be able to relate to the fact that she has one of those faces that everyone wants to tell their life story to at bus stops, but Ceri's more than that, unlike me who just smiles sweetly and tries to escape, she gets involved - the effect of which has some funny, alarming and v.interesting results! Reading 'The Cupid effect' is like chatting to your best mate - I loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars More a confessional journal than a novel with a twist!, 29 April 2012
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
I've just finished this and confess to also reading the (mixed) reviews half way through, but thanks for not giving anything away. It's the first book of Dorothy's I have read - I had heard of her before but only as a magazine features writer - and I actually really enjoyed it. I am from Yorkshire and I liked the fact that it didn't feature posh silly girls from the Home Counties or who worked in ad agencies in London and went to Chinawhite etc etc. It didn't seem like a novel, more like a diary/confessional in it's straight talking quirky style (reviewers commented that not a lot happened) but I liked it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
While 'chicklit' doesn't have to be great literature, I do expect something in return for my money. Some kind of plot, interesting characters and engaging dialogue are surely not too much to ask for. This book however managed none, and was deeply tedious and poorly written into the bargain. My recommendation? Don't waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, feel good fiction, 25 Nov 2007
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
This is the third book that I have read by this author and I have to say, there isn't one of her books that I haven't enjoyed! I was as glued to this book as i have been to each of the others that she has written, starting it early yesterday morning and being virtually unable to put it down until I finished it early the same afternoon.

Koomson doesn't write conventional chick-lit fiction, but she does write a story that is enjoyable and intriguing at the same time. It's an enjoyable easy read that flows through the plot, developing a series of intriguing characters - some more sympathetic than others, but most quite likeable. There is also a very pleasing 'character twist' at the end of the book which gave me a giggle!

One of the things I admire about Koomson's style of writing is that she allows her characters to develop along with the plot, rather than thrusting things in your face - so much so that it is possible to read 2/3 of the book without even realising that one of the main characters is gay!

For me personally, another of the highlights was that the book was centred on a part of Leeds that I know fairly well - Headingley, Burley Park, Kirkstall and Horsforth. It's the area where I went to school, and where my brother later lived. She obviously knows this part of Leeds very well too, as there are incredibly few Geographical errors - and the few that are there can easily be put down to artistic license! Anyone who has lived in or has been a student in Leeds will recognise many of the places in this book - guaranteed!

Give it a go. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful - disappointing!, 28 April 2008
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
I must say I am very very disappointed with this book! After just reading my best friends girl and the chocolate run and absolutely loving them - I couldnt wait to read it and I have to say how disappointing it was! It just seemed to go on forever about nothing to be honest - I would recommend her other books but this one was awful - dire infact! The only thing I can say is that Dorothy has definitely got better since writing this her first book so I will continue to read any new books she has out!

5.0 out of 5 stars What we all want., 28 Feb 2003
This review is from: The Cupid Effect (Paperback)
This book will ring true with anyone who is better at looking after their friends than they are looking after themselves and also believes in true love. The heroine is incredibly likeable and I found myself identifying with her a lot (not the very amusing drunken scenes of course!). It's not patronising dull chick lit, the dilemmas feel real and of our time and it's genuinely funny. This is a gorgeous book which will leave you feeling happy, it did me!

The Cupid Effect