Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 30 August 2004
I think it's going to be incredibly difficult for Mayle to better Hotel Pastis, but this is definitely a book along similar lines. I've been inspired to comment because at present I can only see bad reviews on this page, which simply don't do justice to this great read.
I think this is Mayle's fourth fiction, following Hotel Pastis, Anything Considered and Chasing Cézanne, and I was very glad to see he's still writing in 2004. If you've read them all, it is easy to see the similarities between the characters in each story. There's always the hard-done-by English ex-pat, the love interest, usually a housekeeper or similar, a life-long friend and a handful of other rogues along for the journey. This story is no different, only that the base this time is a vinyard, rather than a hotel, an apartment or flat in Monte Carlo. The tale is primed, as usual, with the twists and turns we've come to expect from Mayle, uncovering criminal activity that somehow bumbles into them, and the ensuing chase that always proves to be amusing.
All in all, this is definitely worth buying if your're looking for a light, sweet, and thoroughly amusing tale that loves to twist and keep you on your toes. It might do a little for your french too!
on 22 June 2007
This story takes Max from an empty, self destructive life in London to the south of France and a lifestyle worth fighting for. We meet loads of interesting people on the way and discover loads about the wine trade.

I found A Good Year a great page turner. A simple, easy to follow plot, wonderful characters / caricatures, perfect length and best of all the marvellous sunshine.

I recommend this book to be read on a garden bench with a glass of crisp chilled white wine.
on 22 May 2005
A book that will put you in a good mood. Well written and very entertaining. Gives you a feeling of vacation and peace that makes you want to continue on reading and disappear in his world close to Avignon.
on 16 August 2013
Peter Mayle isn't a great writer, but he does write well, his work flows nicely and has a good rhythm to it, I think. A Good Year is a light, frivolous read that's easy, whimsical and sometimes funny, a book in which nothing dangerous/serious/scary is going to happen. It doesn't have convoluted plots and sub-plots. One of the reviewers suggests it's an ideal book to read on the sun lounger or some such, on a summer's day and with a glass of wine. Spot on. It's pure escapism and a 'feel good' read. If you want stronger stuff, don't buy this book. I loved it and have read it several times. I marginally prefer the film of the book, which has some changes that fit the film mode of entertainment better.
on 25 September 2012
As I've said before, I really fancy retiring to the South of France. The lifestyle, the land and house with pool, oh and course the weather, I guess this has been my daydream for several years. To put flesh on these bones, I've enjoyed reading about other peoples experiences, good and bad.

Although Peter Mayles a bit of a "celeb" and writes accordingly, I nevertheless very much enjoyed his experiences in Provence, starting with 'A Good Year' which I first came across in the film adaptation and found very enjoyable, in fact I've watched it twice. Whatever your motivation it's really worth a read and come to think of it the films well worth a look, although I should point out that the script is adapted, so it tends to be quite a different experience. Personally, I enjoyed both.
on 10 September 2014
Having seen the film first, I had expected more from the book. Perhaps I should have read the book first. Whilst the book is a good read, somehow I feel the film (which I have watched a number of times now) captured better the atmosphere and essence of what I believe the book was seeking to achieve.
on 20 January 2014
Bought the book after seeing the film which I loved. True - the book is somewhat different but it did not bother me. I don't necessarily understand people who want both book and film to be a replica image. I think both author and producer are artists and surely the latter can be granted some poetic licence!? I would rather call it interpretation/ imagination.
on 27 December 2013
I've seen this film I don't know how many times. I've got the DVD, the CD of the soundtrack, and now the book. A lovely light hearted story that Peter Mayle is famous for, with descriptions of the beautiful French countryside, which is always an added bonus for me.
on 19 May 2014
I read this before e books were invented and have watched the DVD dozens of times to cheer up horrible grey days. This is very different from the DVD and is a lovely light hearted read. I will probably read it again!
on 4 August 2013
Once in a while a realy good story emerges. For me, this is it. A great read. Good everything.
The film is also a delight. A credit to Russel Crowe. ( Who I don't usually like)
A breath of sunshine to equal the flavour of the grape. This is Mayles very best ever.