4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good.
Published on 29 Jun 2009 by Danielle

2.0 out of 5 stars A little too predictable...
I love a good romantic story. But i want it to have a good plot, with lifelike characters. It has to be well written as well. All those things i missed in this book. It was my first Jill Mansell, and i must honestly say i was a bit bored. Disappointing, especially after reading all those raving reviews. It's an easy read, but a little too easy to my taste.
Published on 28 Dec 2009 by Ave

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good., 29 Jun 2009
Danielle (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Paperback)
I have read all of Jill Mansells books so far and was eager to read this one. It followed the same light hearted, gripping story telling as her others. There was an instantaneous liking for the main character, Tilly, and an abundance of sideline stories for the other characters too, however that was the problem, the book was just too easy. Don't get me wrong, I could not put the book down and read it all in the same evening that I bought it but it just felt too predictable and not at all similar to the gripping complexities that dominate her other books and this predicatability let the book down. The love story did not seem to have any mystery and (I apologise if this is my own ignorance) I did not feel that there was a good enough description of the characters to build a coherant picture. For example, I remember a detail in the book that describes Tillys hair, but other than that I am left wondering if she is fat or thin, tall or short and the same applies to the other characters, there was just not enough description for me. It is only from the other books by Jill Mansell that I have this expectation and why I feel slightly disappointed in comparison.

In summary, I would recommend this book as I still feel it is a brilliant read. However, having read all her others books, I do not feel it has as strong a storyline and that (for me) was what let it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jill Mansell hits the Jackpot, 11 Feb 2009
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Hardcover)
The last book I read by JM was great, and I didnt think that her books could get any better. I was wrong! This story starts with Tilly walking home to find that Gavin her live in boyfriend has done a bunk. Moved out without so much as a backward glance. Although hurt (but slightly relieved) she visits her friend Erin in Roxborough to cheer herself up. Little does she know that this visit would change her life completely. She ends up applying for a "strange sounding" job advertised in the local rag and before she can blink has set up home in Roxborough and is thrown in to a whirlwind of a new life. The new life involves Max (the gay but formerly straight interior designer), his teenage daughter and Max's best friend Jack. The story is funny and such a pleasure to read. The only thing I was dissapointed in was that I finished it too quickly. If you are a big Chick Lit fan you cannot get better than this so get yourself a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love is all around!, 14 Feb 2009
Sissel M. Østdahl "smaureen" (Norway) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Hardcover)
What a happy day it was when I bought my first Jill Mansell book.I needed something to cheer me up. A happy ending, some laughs. To know that life can, indeed, still be fun.

And Jill Mansell IS fun. Fun, intelligent and hugely entertaining.

After having been left by her live in boyfriend Gavin, 28 year old Tilly moves from London to small town Roxborough where her old friend Erin owns a dress shop. Tilly gets a job as a Girl Friday for interior decorator Max and his daughter Lou, and is quickly involved in small town life with its charm, coziness - and gossip!

Of course, there is romance. For Tilly - irresistible Jack, the tragic widower who is avoiding love at all cost, leaving a string of broken hearts in his wake. For Erin - Fergus, newly separated from self confident, antique shop owner Stella, who does not take the break lightly and is seeking revenge.

There are several other delightful personalities. The characterization is brilliant and although the book is primarily light and funny, there is more than a little truth to it all. Behind all the light heartedness are real people with real lives and problems and what happens to them is neither fairytaily nor unlikely.

Jill Mansell is an intelligent writer with a light pen and a blessed talent for cheering people up. Her books have been categorized as typical chick lit, perfect for reading on holiday, on the beach. They are much more than that. Whenever you need to curl up on a sofa, relax and being cleverly entertained. Whenever you long for that purely "feel good" feeling, this is it.

If you like Cathy Kelly, you'll love Jill Mansell.

My best literary discovery in ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Paperback)
I love Jill Mansell and have read almost all her books. 'Rumour Has It' is the first one I have longed to carry on reading though and I even contemplated taking it to work and reading in my breaks. If that is not a recommendation then nothing is. The story follows Tilly, who has been recently 'Dear John'd' by her boyfriend and subsequently moves to the happening village of Roxborough. She is a PA/nanny to the gay but formerly married Max and his daughter and also good friend to Erin. All the characters have back/side stories and are interwoven beautifully. Sad and poignant in parts with a death, but I loved the way Jill Mansell portrayed the dying character before and after diagnosis. As with all Jill Mansell stories you know how it will end, and the burgeoning romance between Tilly and Max's friend Jack is well written, even if I wanted them to get together sooner and craved more details of their life. I really enjoyed this and would thoroughly recommend as a holiday/poolside/rainy day read. I read it at home but it was pure escapism. Great stuff and now I will wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this Jill's best one ever?, 14 Mar 2009
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Hardcover)
I can't decide if this is Jill Mansell's best novel ever - I've loved so many of her books. If this isn't THE best, it's certainly one of the top 2 or 3! Jill's specialty is weaving the lives of several characters together and I'm just not sure how she balances them all - but she does. Tilly (our "main" protagonist) is just perfect - likeable, but not perfect. The side characters are spot on as well. And you wouldn't think that terminal cancer is a topic that would fit here - but it does, it creates the most poignant subplot of the book. But it always returns to the main characters and Tilly and Jack are just what you want, and in the end the book really delivers! Congrats to Jill on another wonderful book!

2.0 out of 5 stars A little too predictable..., 28 Dec 2009
Ave (Netherlands) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Cracking Read!, 25 Feb 2009
Mrs. Joy Topping (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Hardcover)
As an avid fan of Jill Mansell, I always rush out to buy the next book. I stumbled across one of her previous books by accident and had to get them all. I recently bought this one and couldnt put it down! 24 Hours later and it was finished. Funny and heartwarming as always, Jill Mansell did not disappoint. The characters are believeable, the plot holds interest until the very end. Looking forward with anticipation to the next novel. A cracking read, I would recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rumour has it, 30 July 2009
Lena O'reilly (West Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Paperback)
Like all Jill mansell's books this is excellent reading, her style is so unique, you just can't put it down till its read.

The stories are well thought out and written, she just captures your imagination and you are there!

A good all round read, great to take on holiday although l would suggest you take more than one book.

l really look forward to her next book, now l have caught up on her novels and enjoyed each and every one.

They are light reading howvere they compel you to keep reading, just the right amount of drama and romance to believe in the story, with a little bit of "will it or won't it happen" situation going on

a 5 star read

3.0 out of 5 stars Rumour Has It, 15 April 2010
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Paperback)
I have been reading Jill Mansell's books since 1997 and really, really enjoy them however this one was a bit of a disappointment. I found Tilly rather irritating and she didn't trust Jack one bit. She was prepared to listen to other people rather than him so why would you want a relationship with someone you don't trust! I raced through the book in a few days and I did enjoy the sub-plots but Tilly and Jack just seemed to exist together in a series of coincidental meetings. I didn't feel I got to know Tilly at all. I usually love Jill Mansell's "feel good" novels but this one was not up to her usual standard which is a shame!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got that falling in love feeling all over again!, 29 July 2009
N. Smith (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumour Has It (Hardcover)
Bought this book this afternoon and finished it this evening. Couldn't put it down. I was eager to find out what would happen between Jack and Tilly, even though it was obvious what would inevitably happen, I wanted to know how, where and when in the book. If you're after a book where you can escape and be engrossed in other people's lives for an afternoon, then this is for you. I never thought I was a romantic person but it made me want to fall in love all over again and have those short of breath, heart palpatating moments you get at the beginning of a relationship. Read it, you'll love it!

Rumour Has It