on 23 March 2007
Please forgive the "Grumpy Old Men" reference but when I was given this book for Christmas I was expecting the usual tirade against the trivial problems of life; traffic wardens, modern music, political correctness etc. All very entertaining but all a bit early '00s. What a pleasant surprise to discover that IIJMOIES goes a little deeper. Wearing their leftiness on their sleeves the book has a real go at such things as The Daily Mail, politicians (New Labour and Tory) and ineffective trade union leaders. You might think that this all sound a bit worthy and, well, unfunny but you would be wrong.

The book, whilst making some serious points, still manages to be very funny. And it's very rude in places which won't be to everyone's taste but I found the swearing both big and clever. It also cleverly turns on its head traditional targets for ridicule; for example motorists who consider themselves an oppressed minority. The book's targets are not all serious by any means. Other subjects to be attacked include TV ads, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Chue Guevera merchandise. In fact one of the joys of this book is discovering that you are not, after all, the only person in the world to get worked up about, say, the phrase "hard-working families". Which is quite a comfort.

I didn't agree with all the views expressed in the book - for instance I am a big fan of Keane and am not afraid to admit it! - but the authors write with such humour and conviction it's hard to be offended.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2006
The title of this book chimed quite well with my outlook, so I was delighted to receive it as a gift.

After reading it for a while I commented to a colleague that it read like extracts from a "lad's mag" and he told me that there was the origin of the idea and background of the authors.

I will say that a few times I was laughing out loud alone when I read some of the entries, some are truly hillarious, but, sadly, too many rely on a string of expletives (well used they can be humourous, but just repeating one 10 times just shows you were hung over the day you wrote that entry) to poke fun, rather than actually being insightful satire.

I notice there's now a Vol 2 - I won't be rushing out to buy it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 November 2010
From a relatively young age most men (and a few women if there is money on offer from television programme makers and publishers) are prone at 'a drop of a hat' to engage in cynical and mainly derogatory verbal outpourings on just about any topic or product known to mankind. It is known as 'ranting', the motivation for which is succinctly summarised by Samuel Johnson "Criticism is a study by which men grow important and formidable at very small expense." (The Idler 1759)

'Ranting' is the yellow-brick-road to that illusory castle, rife with self-grandiosity and pomposity. I certainly suffer from the rant syndrome but am bought down to earth by my wife saying "Shut up you miserable Old Git, nobody is interested in your bigoted diatribe!"

Even as a self-proclaimed ranter I could not get hooked into this book which is just a production line of multiple moans and lost all interest after no more than a dozen or so pages. Just one moan after another becomes tedious and makes one wonder why the authors want to live on this planet. Pity their wives/partners did not deliver them a reality check as mine does to me.

PS. My nearest and dearest has now suggested that my review (or rant as she insists on calling it) is like 'the pot calling the kettle black' when criticising this book and that I was as 'moany' and 'self-opinionated' as the authors. The fundamental point that she is missing is that I'm not trying to flog my views under the guise of a rant-loaded book in return for a 'greasing of the palms'! My 'rants' come gratis!
on 8 January 2007
OK, so it's not going to be a prize winning book or something that everyone loves, but it is excellent for a quick 30 minute read when you fancy being cheared up. It's not amzingly funny, but some of the rants do raise a chuckle fairly often, and sometimes I find myself laughing out loud to it.

Some of the views are very similar to Jeremy Clarkson's, who I have always found very entertaining.

Overall, it's a great book if you just want something light hearted. I know i'll be buying it for a few people's birthdays over the coming months.
on 31 December 2009
The title of the book sounded as if it would be funny and it is in two or three places. It reads like a diatribe rather than an amusing twist on things or observational humour.

Just my opinion, but I expected something more obviously funny.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2007
A timely response to those nanny statesmen, PC bureaucrats, spin doctors, media monsters and trendy analysts who have destroyed our world. This A-Z rant against modernity in all its forms is informative, revelatory and bl**dy funny. There are some obvious targets (Blair, Bush and co) and many insidious ones exposed, and many more lurking out there to be covered by Volume 2. One can only hope the next government will address this catalogue of bugbears as a priority. My only criticism of the book is that the comments don't really go far enough but it's comforting to know that we normal decent people with proper values aren't alone ;-)
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 15 November 2014
Upon reading this book I became aware of how much crap has intruded into our lives and we have accepted it as the norm. We need people like the authors to goad us out of our complacency and acceptance of dross and intolerable bahaviour.
I cant wait for volume two
on 26 September 2006
If ever there was a book that could rip to shreds, everything and everyone in modern society, this is the book. The huge amount of comical satire and mocking that appears in this alphabetical wonder is hysterical. When ever something annoys you, that you want to read about, in a contemptuous and mocking way, you will be sure to find it in this book. From the cheapness of FCUK, the daily mail and Live8 even the Commercialisation of "washed and ready to eat vegetables" - everything and anything that is annoying and pointless in this world we live in, is covered, in a humorous and diligent way, a perfect buy for every pessimist out there. This book is perfect for everyone. The title sums it up - it is a rhetorical question. The authors answer is obviously YES! Buy the book! You will not be disappointed!
on 26 November 2007
I wouldn't go as far, as to wonder why this book was not included in the contents of this title, formed in a neat alphabetic list.

It is an easy read, something that I would call a midnight read. What I mean by this is, something you can read in bed and be asleep after digesting a couple of pages.

It has its ups but, mainly its downs. If you are looking to absorb disgruntled views I would advise a trip to the complaints/information office of the local shopping centre.

To be honest it would be alot cheaper and a tat more exciting.

If you put a good couple of hours in you will finish the book in no time. As I say, it is probably worth a read but, if you do put it down after getting to K, I can't say I would be surprised.
on 24 April 2011
I was hoping for some good satire and funny stand-up comedy style ranting. Instead I got a book that was so boring it was a struggle to finish, I don't remember laughing once, even when they were ranting about things worth ranting about. Like someone said in another review, it is like an average post in a blog, uncreative and very forgettable, and a bit insulting to the intelligence - oh, we went to Iraq for oil, rich people are bad, blah, blah, really, is this the best they can do? These guys had a great opportunity and totally wasted it - it's a wonder why anyone would find this even remotely publishable.