4.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoster of emotion
Published on 15 Nov. 2006 by A. Tallis

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start but disappointing conclusion.
I was gripped from the opening chapter of this novel and was literally sobbing through the first few chapters. The author did an excellent job of getting inside the characters minds and exploring complex issues around grief and forgiveness.

Published on 4 Jun. 2007 by Book Worm

4.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoster of emotion, 15 Nov. 2006
A. Tallis (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
Brilliant read, definitely will be passing this book on to all my friends. I borrowed it initially from my sister, she warned me its terribly sad in places and not really a "sun holiday" read. Thankfully I didn't take it on holidays as you need a place to cry without shame and bucket loads of tissues. There's love, betrayal, grief, acceptance, fun and trepidation in this book right to the end. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 16 Aug. 2006
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book. I really enjoyed it and it made me cry which for me is the sign of a good book.
The story is more original than most "chick-lit". I thought the ending was just right... I thought the relationships of Kamryn with Luke and Nate were well written and not sentimentalised, and ultimately worked out in a way that is true to life.
However I would agree with some reviewers that Tegan, the little girl, whilst a delightful character does not talk like real five year old. Also I felt some parts of the plot were just brushed over, such as Tegan's relationship with Adele's father and stepmother.
Bottom line - I really enjoyed this book and read it within a week (quick for me), it made me laugh and cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 7 Sept. 2006
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
I picked this book up and could not put it down, it makes you cry and laugh all at the same time, and shows you that you can forgive, even the worst in life, I have not enjoyed a book as much uin ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!!!, 3 Sept. 2006
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
I splashed out and paid full price for this, it has been worth every penny and more! The story line hits home and has reminded me to make the most of our time and friends.

It is a corker of a read and i recommend it but make sure you have no pressing chores to do as you wont be able to put it down once you pick it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful book from Ms. Koomson, 28 Nov. 2009
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
My Best Friend's Girl is a book which grips you right from the prologue. I was hooked right away, and it only took me 2 or 3 days to finish it. It deals with best buddies Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon. They'd been friends for years, right up until the moment Kamryn discovered that Adele had betrayed her by sleeping with her fiancé - Nate. Kamryn took off and vowed never to see either of them again.

She's true to her word, ignoring their calls and letters, until years later Kamryn receives a letter she can't ignore. It's from Adele. She's in hospital, dying. She wants Kamryn to adopt her little girl, Tegan. Suddenly, Kamryn's world is thrown into turmoil. She was getting on with her life, with a successful job and good friends, and the last thing she needs is a child on her hands. But how can she turn down the dying request of her best friend?

What follows is a beautiful story of Kamryn's reaction to events, and how she copes. It'll make you laugh, cry, hug your pillow and be desperately grateful for all that you have - in typical Koomson fashion. She certainly knows how to tug the heartstrings! Anyway, if this sounds like your cup of tea, then don't delay. You'll be absorbed into this heartrending story way beyond the last page. It's very poignant. Love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start but disappointing conclusion., 4 Jun. 2007
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)

Unfortunately, it seemed to take quite a dramatic turnaround as soon as a 'romantic interest' was introduced. The book swiftly changed from a really touching and gripping read into a typical 'chick lit' novel. Boy meets girl, both hate each other, end up falling in love.

The book showed such initial promise, I was so disappointed with how it deteriorated - almost as though the author just wanted to finish it without any regard to the potential of the book to be something out of the ordinary chick lit genre. What a pity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never cried so much!!!, 15 Dec. 2006
K. A. Moore "Kazbah" (Carlisle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
I read all of the time and am never without a book in my hand. This is the first time, however, that I have felt the need to write a review.

It was FAB.

As a woman I have experienced the highs & lows of life and this book addresses most of them. The author drags you in, you feel her pain, frustration, love & indicision. She manages to describe the indescribable. How can you reach into your deepest feelings and put them into words?? Well read this book and you will see how it is done.

I did not want the book to end. I am lost without it. I fell in love with the little girl, both men and her lost friend.

Have plenty of tissues ready. I think I started crying in chapter 2, and was still at it after reading the last page.

I have recommended it to my friends & family, indeed most of them will find it in their Xmas stocking.

Cannot wait for the book to be turned into a film. I fancy Colin Firth & Hugh Grant as the love interests.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 8 Aug. 2006
L. Curtis (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
This is really a wonderful book - I was hooked from the prologue! A stand-out factor of the book for me, was that the characters were very real. They all had moments when they behaved badly, made the wrong decisions, and appeared unattractive to the reader - but this "warts and all" approach made their struggles even more real and their achievements - particularly Kamryn's - all the more admirable.

It is also a book that raises many issues - relationships, abuse, freedom, self, race....Whilst all these issues are present, the story is so well-written that they are not "in your face" or overpowering.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something with more substance than "Chick-Lit" - this is certainly not a flighty read, and has you crying, laughing and thinking the whole way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 19 Aug. 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
This book has got mixed reviews on Amazon and to an extent I can understand them. This book was hailed as a new kind of chick-lit and it is to some extent in that it deals with `real' issues which isn't something that chick-lit isn't known for. However I have to say that I did enjoy this book. There's no need for me to recount the story as others have done that before me. What I can say is that the beginning starts off somberly as we see Kamryn go to the hospital to face her ex-best-friend Adele. Adele is dying and her reason for asking to see Kamryn is to ask her to adopt her daughter Tegan. Up to the point where Adele dies this book mixes tragedy with some amusing anecdotes.

After the funeral the chick-lit factor goes into full swing. We see Kamryn struggle with the basics of bringing up a 5-yr-old, where even trying to buy shampoo turns into an ordeal. As with any chick-lit book there's a hunky man involved.....2 in this instance.....one is the ex who brings back memories of the Kamryn of old and the other is Kamryn's boss Luke.

Although this book is predictable (isn't most chick-lit?)....it is however fun. There are some amusing exchanges and all in all it's a fluffy chick-lit book that won't tax the brain. If you're looking for something heavy then this isn't the book for you but if you're into the Cathy Kelly / Sheila O'Flanagan / Marian Keyes genre then you'll enjoy My Best Friends Girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 13 May 2006
Kate Clifton "Kate" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
This book is BEAUTIFUL! I was hooked from the first page and dispte a 2 year old child and a job managed to read it in less than 48 hours - I couldn't put it down. It made me cry and laugh - sometimes both at the same time! You fall in love with the characters and go on a rollercoaster ride with them.

This is the only Dorothy Koomson book I have read but it won't be the last!

My Best Friend's Girl