5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
I treated myself to this DVD - along with Nia Vardalos's other film, I hate Valentine's Day, for Valentine's Day this year. I was feeling a bit low - one thing and another - and I desperately needed cheering up. The American title is better known - My Life In Ruins.

Published on 18 Feb 2010 by Marie-Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Completely predictable feelgood type romantic comedy
Published on 29 July 2011 by AK

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)

This film was the medicine I needed! I laughed heartily, almost cried, and thoroughly enjoyed every moment! Since buying this film I have watched it several times and each time there is something I missed before and I still crease up laughing! In other words, just chillax!!!

It's about an ex history professor who ends up as a tour guide after losing her teaching job. She is feeling very disappointed with her life and with Greece. On a 4 day tour with her newest group of tourists, however, her life changes in ways she couldn't even imagine.

I would highly recommend this film as being something to watch with a bowl of ice cream (ice creams feature quite a bit in this film), nice glass of wine, your comfiest clothes and just prepare to crease up laughing!!

Richard Dreyfuss is great! Nia Vardalos's facial expressions hilarious!

Just get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a rom com, 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I saw this film on a plane, and watched it again on the return flight, so much I loved it. It is one of the best rom coms I've ever seen: great chemistry between the lead actors, a bunch of excellent supporting actors, hilarious from beginning to the end and truly heart-warming. The cherry on the pie: you will witness a spectacular transformation of a taciturn and rather ugly bloke at the beginning of the film into an really sexy hunk in its second half. It is quite a treat, such metamorphosis being typically reserved for female characters...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, funny and entartaining!, 12 Feb 2010
Valeria Pugiotto (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This movie is about a tour guide who needs to learn how to love her job, and life in general. I am a tour guide and I found myself laughing and even crying at times. In the US they would say 'been there, done that....'. Well, I loved this movie, because I found a lot of myself in it. I bought it because during my tours, last summer, someone told me about it. I can say now that I am glad I have followed the advice! Being a tour guide is a tough job, but very rewarding, because it is all about giving and sharing. You have to share your knowledge, give your help, your patience, your understanding and your love to your group. That is what the protagonist of the movie needs to learn. She learns it all right! SHe learns to open her heart! That is what being a tour guide means: you have to open and listen to your heart because you are entrusted a group of people that will depend on you. I feel blessed to have a chance of doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant and enjoyable, 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I read some bad reviews of this film in the press last year, but fortunately you can't believe everything you read in the paper! My wife and I watched this film together and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast are great with characters that complement each other well. We laughed a lot, and were also reminded of how lovely Greece and Greek culture is. It's a simple storyline, but fun, and without a lot of distasteful scenes or language.
Nia plays a great part, and looks gorgeous in this movie. According to my wife Alexis Georgoulis (Poupi) also turns out to be quite a hunk! Richard Dreyfuss injects some magic into the storyline and plays a lovely pivotal character.
I would watch this film many times and not get bored. I can really recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Believe It Didn't Make It To The Cinema!, 20 Feb 2010
Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Firstly I've got to say, if you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, then you'll really enjoy this, I actually prefer Driving Aphrodite. For starters, Nia's character's love interest is so much hotter in this one!, Procopi played by Alexis Georgoulis. It was John Corbett (aka Mr Big!) who played Ian Miller in the first one, whom I've never found remotely attractive.

The story is based around Nia's character Georgia who is temporarily a tour guide in Greece (until she gets the teaching job at a University which she is banking on). She meets lots of different nationalities who are on her tour, and there is one laugh after another. If you enjoyed films such as National Lampoon's European Vacation, then you'll love this!

I can't believe this film was a straight to dvd, and didn't make it to the cinemas. It deserved a lot more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Completely predictable feelgood type romantic comedy, 29 July 2011
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
The movie (btw. it is also known as My Life in Ruins [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] in some regions - the two are the same) seems absolutely predictable from start to finish, so much so that you can guess fairly securely how the complete plot will play out within the first 5 or 10 minutes. Still, this does not have to be a killer criterium, so it really depends on the viewer if this is a problem or not.

Apart from a fairly solid performance by Richard Dreyfuss the other acting is so-so and not all the jokes work - in many ways they are so stereotyped that many of them fall flat.

On the bright side, there are certainly funny moments peppered here and there in the movie and it will be a fairly relaxing thing to watch on a plane or during a holiday. Works well as a feelgood movie, too.

In the end, a mixed bag, and nowhere near as good (in my opinion) as My Big Fat Greek Wedding [DVD] [2002]. And if cultural differences and Greece are your thing, I would say that The Kings of Mykonos: Wog Boy 2 (2010) ( The Kings of Mykonos ) ( Wog Boy Two ) (Blu-Ray) does a better job as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Driving aphrodite, 10 April 2010
V. Parry (spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Loved this movie, it is funny and sensitive with excellent observation on human behaviour. Magical romance theme runs through this holding the rest of the story together along with breath taking scenery of Greece.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing romantic comedy, 7 Mar 2010
R. Champion "Mad about film" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Worth a watch for any romantic comedy fans, with good performances from Nia Vardalos and Richard Dreyfuss, enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars great!!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
arrived quickly , great !!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need a pick me up watch this, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Love love love this film, genuinely puts a smile on my face every time i watch it. Nia Vardalos was excellent in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and she is excellent again in this. The scenery is wonderful and a great advert for wonderful Greece too.

Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010]
Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010] by Donald Petrie (DVD - 2010)