on 3 April 2010
I bought these because my sons room has a large number of halogen bulbs in it 10 in total. I did not expect them to be any good but good enough to produce workable light, I was very happy wit the result, they give off about 30 watts of light each, which for a bedroom is more than enough. The real treat is the power consumption, they only just register on an electric meater reader, the ones you get from the power companies, and that was with all of them on. An amazing power saving device and still producing good amounts of light.
on 9 September 2010
The GU10 LEDs are great, and of course they are not a blindingly bright as halogens but I like that, and I also know I'm not going to burn my head on them when I reach for the top shelf in the kitchen...another good thing. I like the atmos'in the kitchen, but I should have warned my other half about the subdued effect as she was none too keen at first. The minute she cuts her finger cos she "can't see" I'll be for it!
on 16 October 2010
These bulbs replaced the original halogen bulbs which produced a lot of heat,causing concern in the loft above. The led bulbs run cold and only use ten p.c power. A very desirable change, from the heat output and energy saving.
on 25 October 2012
This review serves as a summary of 6 type of GU10 LED bulbs I have tested. I first started testing LED bulbs in June 2011 when I bought 4 types of LED bulbs. Then in October 2012 I bought 2 more types. I found the more recent purchases to provide better amounts of light, probably due to them being designed with the flat style LED squares rather than the older LED style with multiple bobble style LEDs which protrude from the unit. In practice people will need and expect different things from their bulbs and opinions will vary depending on an individual room set up, how close bulbs are to one anotehr, ceiling height, furniture etc. Hopefully this review serves to help some people out there. The main thing I have realised is that in just over a year, the price of some decent bulbs is much less and there are some fairly decent contenders out there to compete with normal GU10 bulbs. I have not experienced these bulbs over a long period yet to check their durability but most I believe come with some form of warranty.

My two favourite bulbs are made by the long life lamp company. I recommend both! Both bulbs are retailing @ £6.29 each (Oct 2012).

I found these bulbs produce a bright amount of light, one more white and clinical than the other but do not create much of a shadow outside its range of lighting, unlike some other bulbs I have tried.

First up is the Long Life Lamp Company 5W Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006UR5IUY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A11XEBUJSDP4OW (5 star). Warm white can look more harsh and less yellow than the ordinary GU10 bulbs when side by side but when on its own you quickly get used to it and it is certainly a lot warmer than the pure white version below. I am happily using the warm white in bedroom and lounge and will probably buy some more to add to the hallway when my old bulbs die. This produces a decent level of brightness, ie enough to read a book in but not too bright that it cannot be used in a room where you normally sit and relax.

Second is the 5W LED Super Bright Pure White with New SMD Chip Technology
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007DIJDVE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A11XEBUJSDP4OW (5 star). This is also made by Long Life Lamp Company. Pure white is being used in the kitchen and bathrooms where you need good clarity. Although this is a very bright and almost clinical it creates a very good level of brightness. It does not offer the same level of highly focussed light on the surfaces directly below it that you get with normal GU10 bulbs but it makes the room very bright.

If you prefer a yellower light, more light standard 50W GU10s I can recommend the Interlux 5W - 24 square LED http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KRB7XS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00 (4 star). I still use one of these in the kitchen and it is a very good contender against The Super Bright LED Warm White above. This is a warmer white than the Super Bright so it gives a yellower, well dispersed light, not much shadow creation, not massively bright under beam, almost same as normal GU10 50W.

If you are looking for a good spot light for real clarity, the only LED bulb I have found to date to replicate this good level of brightness and well focussed light on a worktop is the Kosnic 5W - 5 LED spotlight with silver surround http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041RBJSU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00 (4 star). I use this in the kitchen. It is a warm white, very bright but generates quite a narrow / focussed beam with slight shadow outside the area. Like a very strong spot light, good light for food preparation etc. The reason I don't give this one 5 stars is it does generate shadow outside its spotlight beam, if this did not occur it would be 5 star.

The next two lights are not really recommended so avoid if you are looking for a bulb to keep a room bright! Eveready GU10 3W - 30 LED http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002TWPH96/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 (2 star) I use these in the Hall & Bedroom. This is the older style LED light with 30 leds poking out. With only 3W it gives off a warm not overly bright light. I would describe this as mood lighting and not sufficient on its own for a room. You need to mix up some stronger lights otherwise it is too dark. This was my first foray into 3W and from experience I would not recommend anything less than 5W.

Long Life Lamp Company 6W - 80 LED http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DVFH8I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 (1 star) Despite being 6W I found this very dissapointing with little light production. I have a couple of these as spot lights in the corner of the Lounge to create mood lighting. It gives off a warm white, not very bright, definitetly not enough for a kitchen or for reading. It has quite a narrow light dispersion so needs to be used in conjunction with other brighter bulbs.
on 14 November 2010
Had high hopes that 6 of these would solve the problem of the high brightness necessary for kitchens and its high cost in terms of electricity usage. Unfortunately, these led bulbs failed on that score, for adequate brightness I would estimate that something like 20 would be required instead of the 6 I purchased. That is a big price to pay for energy efficiency and would take years to recoup.
In my experience a couple of high quality energy efficient lamps would be far more effective and very much cheaper.
on 13 November 2010
Bought these 6 bulbs to replace the 6 50watt bulbs that came with my new kitchen light fittings, for reasons of economy. Because the kitchen's small and dark, I need the lights on most of the day. Had hoped these would be brighter, they're barely adequate as a replacement- have to use my worktop and hob lights a lot more. So, they're just ok, but if you need brightness, look for something else!
on 17 May 2011
These bulbs are lower cost than many 3w GU10 LED bulbs but I prefer the light given off by them to many other bulbs you can buy at a higher cost. Only drawback was that the lampholders I had bought needed a slight modification to accept the lamp due to the number of small bulbs protruding at the front.
on 6 March 2011
I bought these hoping to overcome the problem of constantly failing bulbs, and was also attracted by the thought of cutting my electricity use. Also, normal halogen bulbs produce a lot of heat, and I assume that with their low energy consumption the LED alternatives reduce this potential problem.

Sadly, it was immediately obvious that these bulbs were not going to do the job of lighting the kitchen. Even with six installed in a fairly small room, they couldn't illuminate the area properly. I also found the blue hue to the light disconcerting, and they cast shadows in a way that I haven't noticed with conventional halogen bulbs.

Having given up on the kitchen, I transferred them to the bathroom, thinking this more subdued lighting might work better there, but I'm still not convinced they work even in that context.

I do hope that in a few years there will be a credible energy saving alternative to halogen bulbs, but these clearly aren't it. They cost too much considering the compromise in light quality, and it's almost a shame they last 25 years - I'm thinking about replacing them already.
on 11 September 2010