4.0 out of 5 stars Clean the headphone socket
Just got these buds through as I needed to replace Sennheiser cx-300 after wear and tear and fancied some with the remote control that were not supplied by Apple.

Published on 30 Mar 2010 by N. Churchill

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this!
I bought this item THREE TIMES. On all occasions it broke.

From a purely sound perspective, these are the best. However, each time, after a month, they'd break.

Published on 28 Dec 2011 by Mr

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean the headphone socket, 30 Mar 2010
N. Churchill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line iPod Remote Control (Electronics)

Thanks to Sarfraz for the confirmation these work with the 3GS, you'd have thought they'd have it better advertised, not just listing iPods. When I first plugged mine in I thought I must have got a faulty set, I could hear the music fine, but the controls did nothing.

Remembered someone mentioning on a forum to check the headphone socket for a build-up of lint as it doesn't take much to stop a true connection. Attacked the socket with a unfolded staple and lo and behold a good lump of lint popped out. Plugged the buds back in and it all works exactly as it should.

Great sound, bass and treble seem fine. You have to make sure you get a good fit to get the best sound. Some people don't like buds due to the intrusive nature of them, but it means you don't have to have the volume high - you do get noise from the wire rubbing, but this is a common "feature" of buds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPhone 3GS, 12 Jan 2010
Sarfraz Rajwadkar "Sarfraz" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I just purchased these on abit of a hunch to see if they work with my iPhone 3GS. I could not get any confirmation from either Apple or Sony but took a risk anyway. Thankfully, they are fully functional. The remote and mic both work as per the standard iPhone 3GS headphones. The remote is a tiny bit larger than the standard Apple versions but this makes it much easier to use. The rocker switch has a much more tactile feel to it aswell.

The headphones themselves are very comfortable. Compared to the original Apple headphones, the Sony has a slightly wider sound stage. You can better distinguish between left and right channel. The treble is definitely more refined but the bass is only a slight improvement over the standard set (hence the 4 stars). Still, very good value for money and considering this is one of the few headphones that retain complete functionality with the iPhone 3GS (not sure about 3G) I cannot recommend anything else at this price point.

Also packed in are three sizes of silicon buds so your bound to find a set that suits your ears. There is a cord adjuster (basically just abit of plastic to wrap the cable) and a nice little bag to carry everything in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and design, fantastic at the price!, 25 July 2010
P. Driver (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I received these headphones 3 days ago and have tried them with various types of music (using them with an iPhone 3GS) before writing this review.

I have been a big fan of Sennheiser headphones ever since I discovered them and have owned 3 different sets as well as giving as them gifts, so moving away from Sennheiser was a big step for me and I was a bit apprehensive that I would be disappointed; but not at all.

The sound with the Sony headphones is crisp and crystal-clear, really excellent (5 stars); the only difference I have noticed is these headphones are very slightly less bass-y than the Sennheiser CX500 (see my other review) but in all respects are so good that the difference is not detrimental at all.

The design is very good (5 stars), the remote control works perfects with the iPhone 3GS and is not at all fiddly. It only does volume plus pause so it's not a full remote, but very useful. If you have never had headphones with a volume control, it's a really useful feature and one to look out for. The headphones also include a mic so it's a proper handsfree although I don't use it for phone calls.

Comfort and fit are excellent (5 stars); it's worth trying all the different sizes of earbuds supplied to make sure you get a good fit as it makes a huge difference to the sound quality and sound isolation. They are very comfortable when used lying down, they don't dig in your ears which the Sennheisers did; as I am recovering from back surgery, I spend a lot of time lying down at present!

The case is a bit rubbish really and lets the side down a bit, it is very thin and tends to come undone so offers little in the way of protection; only 3 stars for that. On the plus side, it is nice and roomy so you can get other accessories in there, too.

Value for money is excellent at £23.77 and I think I've made a good purchase, so I'm happy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this!, 28 Dec 2011
I bought this item THREE TIMES. On all occasions it broke.

With my first pair, the remote broke. The one reason I opted for these earbuds was to control my iPod without having to take it out of my pocket. I couldn't do that anymore, but at least the sound worked, right?

Wrong. After a month the sound in the right ear completely cut out. So I bought another pair and got the same issue. Then I bought another pair and, after three months, they AGAIN stopped working.

Advice: don't bother. These sound great but they won't work after three months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound Quality, Excellent Build Quality, 25 Mar 2011
Amy Clark "Ames" (UK) - See all my reviews
I actually just bought these from HMV this morning in the sale. My Sennheiser's had once again given out thanks to a shoddy build quality around the jack. I like Sennheiser's top end headphones/earphones because the sound quality is that good. But after three pairs of different Sennheiser's breaking because of the non-existent jack, I gave up and went back to Sony.

People are complaining about the sound quality of these earphones but, as with most things, you get what you pay for. In this case you get a good enough sound quality to be happy with on commutes and walks etc. If you want the best audio experience that money can buy then you would be walking around with a seriously expensive set of cans on your head. I'm a musician, I love my audio and use Beyerdynamic DT770s at home and absolutely love them... they were £130 and I would never take them out of the house. If they are getting daily use, being shoved in a bag and all the rest, then why would you splash out on the best headphones? Not only that but it's not just the headphones that are responsible for the quality of your sound... iPod's are not known for their high quality audio.

Anyway, I've listened to everything from Johnny Cash, The Ramones, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Pendulum and all sorts of artists and I have to say I'm really happy with these earphones. They do what I need them to do when I'm out and about and also have the noise cancelling facility that I've grown to love from my Sennheiser's. If I want to hear every subtle nuance then the best place to get that is sitting at home with your nice expensive cans on - give me something to look forward to!

So, these are not the best earphones on the market but they do a very good job in this price range. The best thing about them for me is the build quality - no annoying rubber parts that are going to come away and expose the wires that make the difference between stereo sound and mono (take note Sennheiser).

I am an audiophile without a doubt but I'm happy with what these earphones have to offer as a stand-in for the real deal of audio quality that I have at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple should bundle these with their products, 28 April 2011
Jonathan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having been disappointed with every set of headphones ever bundled with Apple products, and wearing out my previous earphones (Creative Labs) I decided to treat myself to some new in ear buds. I was interested in a set that had a remote control and that would be compatible with my iPhone 4. Despite not officially being supported, several reviews suggested the Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 would indeed work with the iPhone 4.

Well the item arrived today and I'm pleased to report I am absolutely thrilled with the product. The packaging includes the headphones, 3 differently sized sets of buds, a cloth carry case and a cable tidy allowing you to have your desired length of cable, instruction sheet and limited warranty certificate.

The pre-installed buds fit me perfectly (mine came preinstalled with the medium buds) so no messing around there.

I plugged the earphones in to my iPhone 4 and clicked the centre button which immediately resumed my previous track in the iPod application. The in-line remote includes just three buttons and a microphone on the rear - the buttons providing the following functionality;

Volume +
Centre Button (Single click toggles play/pause, double click plays the previous track, double click and hold scans/rewinds the current track, triple click plays the next track and triple click and hold scans/fast-forwards the current track).
Volume -

Additional functionality is available when accepting/rejecting telephone calls.

The audio quality is very good with nice deep bass and clearly defined treble and a good mid-range too. For those who like their music loud, these will probably just about satisfy. I do like my music loud and these headphones just about provide the volume I am happy with.

Overall I think these are a great set of earphones and for the price I am very happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, and good value, but some compromises, 24 Sep 2010
I'm going to be a bit less enthusiastic about these than others, but they're fine, and good value. Had I not bought these I would have been spending £50+. They work fine with iPhone4 - answering calls, pausing music, skipping tracks etc. The silicone buds (3 sizes) fit much more comfortably than the standard iPhone buds, staying in the ear better and doing a much better job of blocking out background noise so you get more detail and don't need to keep fiddling. The sound is smoother (there's not only treble and bass but stuff in between) but with no more range really, and the bass pretty much disappears below 50% volume (quite loud). However, the cable clatter is noticeably worse than with the standard buds, and the better sound exclusion produces the odd effect that you can't really hear your own voice when you're on the phone. Mic quality is similar to the standard units. Overall then these seem to give more comfort and a somewhat better music-listening experience, with a slight compromise on calls, for not much money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPod touch 64GB (4th Generation), 22 Nov 2010
I decided to take a chance and buy these headphones to go with my new iPod Touch 4th Generation, even though Sony only officially state they are compatible with the iPod Touch (2nd Generation). I'm glad I did as after one day of testing them seem to work perfectly.

Using the remote I can:
- increase\decrease the volume
- Play\pause tracks
- skip to next or previous track
- Voice Control - this worked reasonably well, better than most voice controls on
mobile phones actually. In a small test it accepted my voice commands to play
songs by five different artists (score 5/5)

As I have an iPod Touch and not iPhone I could not test the quality of voice whilst on a call.

The product is described as having a clear and rich sound with deep bass and this seems to be a very accurate description - at least when compared to the standard Apple iPod headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality and works with iPhone 4, 1 Nov 2010
They have excellent sound quality, very clear, even has clear bass.

Only let down is that it has a cheap cable which I do not see lasting a long time. If it had a superior cable it would be 5*'s.

Remote functions just as it does on the stock Apple headphones with inline remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with iTouch G3, 29 April 2010
These are surprisingly good.
I bought them on test; not only was I not sure they were fully compatible with the g3, but one of the reviewers on here found them "tinny", although you'd be hard pushed to find anything as tinny as the original earphones supplied!
You do need to play around with the in-ear buds, but when you get the right fit they sound pretty good. Like all cheaper earphones the balance veers toward overblown bass, so play with the equalization settings, particularly if you've chosen one of the bass extension settings necessary to get any low end at all out if the ghastly Apple earphones.
Overall, I am really happy with these, and even though choice is extremely limited if you need an inline remote, they are in no way just a "make do". My only quibble with Sony is their reliability (have had issues on the past) but I have given them five stars because they are a good product at a great price, and it would be unfair to mark them down on the strength of reliability problems with other products. If they DO break, I will repost to reflect this. With lots of shouting and flying feathers!