5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected from a colour laser printer
I read numerous reviews regarding network colour laser printers before deciding on the Brother HL3040CN.
The image is transferred to the drum using LED technology.
As this was just for home use on a small network there was no need for a heavy duty printer or extra memory installed.
I was not expecting such good output of colour pictures as I thought that...
Published on 13 Feb 2010 by Tellboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid, fast printing, very expensive consumables
I bought this printer thinking that I was picking up a bargain and on the whole, I really like it - it's fast, the print quality is good and for a shade under [] you can't complain.

My experience has been marred, however, by a couple of issues, which is why I give it 3 stars, not 5.

Firstly, I was led to believe that the printer shipped with toner...
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by Chris Keegan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid, fast printing, very expensive consumables, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Brother HL3040CN Compact High Speed Network Colour LED Printer (Personal Computers)

Firstly, I was led to believe that the printer shipped with toner cartridges that were 50% capacity, yet the Black one ran out after about 700 pages. And these were pages printer with Toner Save active. I replaced it with a cartridge rated for 2,200 pages and after only a few hundred more pages (again on toner save) we're down to just over 50%, this is very worrying when the cartridges cost about [] all in to replace.

Secondly, faults with the toner level reporting (the magenta and cyan cartridges demanded replacement despite showing 30% remaining). This is probably my inexperience with modern/colour laser printers, but I just didn't expected it to shut down shop completely until the toner was replaced. My old Lexmark just kept on trucking until the pages came out blank, which was fine by me.

I can't tell you how annoying it is at 8.30pm looking at the winking warning light telling you to forget printing until the Cyan cartridge is replaced while the status panel tells you that nearly a third of the toner remains. But it's more annoying to be ignored completely by their patronising support staff.

Post-Support Update:
I discovered that my Black cartridge had run out after only 627 pages. I also found out that Brother Support consider this to be acceptable performance.

I am now being warned to replace my new black toner even though it reports 54% remaining toner - which would be fine if the warning didn't have fangs. Again, I discover that Brother consider this to be acceptable - reporting remaining toner is difficult, apparently.

Brother support FAIL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected from a colour laser printer, 13 Feb 2010
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The image is transferred to the drum using LED technology.
I was not expecting such good output of colour pictures as I thought that this was the area where inkjet technology was superior but the results on ordinary 90gsm paper is very good indeed.
It can be used as a network printer or directly connected to a PC using a USB2 connection.
It is quiet in operation or in standby mode.
The default is draft mode which can be changed to a high resolution. No memory problems were encountered when producing prints on this setting although some reviews recommended a memory upgrade if using this setting for batch printing.
Installation and setup were easy with a seperate CD supplied for Windows 7 installation.
The toner replacement costs are always a problem with this type of printer and is comparable to many others reviewed.
Very pleased with it so far and the third Brother printer I have bought.
One year on site repair is included in the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain basement colour printing!, 19 Jun 2011
I had a HP monochrome laser printer for many years until HP dropped support for it in Windows Vista whilst there was still a lot of life left in it. This dropping of support also affected my HP scanner in Windows 7 so I've learned the hard way not to buy HP! This put increasing strain on my Canon inkjet photo printer and ink costs went through the roof when my children started doing their school projects on computer and always wanted to print in colour. The laser printer, on the other hand, had cost little to run, using after-market toner cartridge refills (I'd never do this with an inkjet, scared of blocking the nozzles with non-vendor ink and wrecking the printer). The obvious answer was therefore a colour laser printer, but one for which cartridge refills were not only possible, but also straightforward. The choice of this printer became clear once I'd done my colour toner cartridge refilling homework and compared the costs and qualities of the various printers that fitted the bill.

I am delighted with the purchase - the quality is great, the print speed fabulous, very easy to set up for every PC and laptop in the house and with the default set to 'toner save', nearly 6 months later my toner top up bottles have still not been needed! The fact that the printer has a 'green' wake-on-demand standby mode means I'm no longer hovering over the power button to keep the electricity bill down.

I'm mindful that this printer has been reported to stop printing until toner is added, so whether you top-up or replace, you must keep consumables in stock to keep those school projects printing!

My only slight niggle is that the printer arrived from Germany with a European plug and German documentation. For the massive discount I got on Amazon, I'm not complaining though. It has already half paid for itself with the sudden disappearance of the Inkjet ink bill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and economica;, 6 Nov 2011
You should be careful with reviews that are written within a few days of purchase. Reviews can be misleading, because things go wrong later. Several months ago we bought a Samsung printer at about the same price. It was fine at the beginning. But after a few months it began to develop blank areas in the printing. I tried everything but it was useless. THEN I googled the problem and found it was extremely common with the Samsung printer. And the repair was very expensive. I was very lucky to get a refund when I took it back.

In contrast, the Brother has been excellent. It has been consistently good in all types of printing. It is more economical on printing. It gets good reviews everywhere. It is the first time I have bought a Brother machine. I have not been disappointed. I originally wanted a wireless machine, and I thought this one was. But it works just as well on the network. Buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for the money, 24 April 2010
GolfBravo (Henley-on-Thames, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm using this printer at home. It is connected to our wireless router (RJ45 plug) which makes it a "wireless printer" - you can also connect it to the computer with a USB cable. Driver installation on both Mac OSX and Windows 7 computers was a breeze - no problems at all. The printer was up and running within 10 minutes of delivery.

Print quality is very good - the printer takes about 30 seconds to warm up when first turned on, but then it starts printing within 5 seconds of pressing print button in any application. 16 pages per minute output is very good - the printer has only 32MB memory, but it seems more than sufficient (you can expand it up to 500MB). Paper tray takes about 250 pages. I tried printing on 80, 90 and 120 GSM paper and it handled them all very well. The supplied colour toners are all for 1000 pages, and replacement cartridges are good for 2000 pages and cost around 50 each (there are four of them), which is very reasonable compared to other brands.

Brother UK after sales service seems very good too: sent an email to their support team with a question once, received a phone call from them with an answer two hours later.

There is also a 50 cash back on this printer until end on June (2010).

Overall very happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Brother HL-3040CN, 19 Jun 2011
Mr. Md Johns - See all my reviews
I use this printer for home, replaced old ink jet printer as ink just dried up through lack of use.

Toner doesn't dry up (powder) so can leave it for weeks, powers up and prints clearly every time :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer. Quality build. 3 Yr warranty, 2 Feb 2011
During product registration it popped up that this printer has a free 3 year Brother warranty. There was no indication of this in the listing, but it's there and I'm signed up and confirmed. So a free bonus.

I've bought this for my business due to the Samsung colour laser printer that I have had for not quite two years dying on me.
The choice of Brother is just because I've had them in the past and I missed the build quality, and this thing when it arrived needed help to get it up the stairs - it weighs a ton.
It's certainly built to last, unlike the Samsung which is like a toy in comparison, but not only the build quality - the features too.

Like a real office machine it has a menu panel on the front to make the settings and also a document feeder for slotting in card, envelopes, photo paper etc., without having to disturb the 250 sheet capacity paper tray. This is something I've missed with the Samsung.

Colour printing with the Samsung took a while for the thing to think about it and get up steam before it sent the paper through, and I was ready for a wait when I tested the photo quality by selecting 2400dpi high quality colour and printing an A4 sheet of passport photos that I have for the family, which I think is a good test. It didn't wait - it just printed immediately and quickly as if it was a mono sheet of A4 text! Amazing. And the quality is good too. Not as good as an inkjet on glossy photo paper, but passable for reports and reference photos. It won't be good enough for photo printing in the conventional sense, but for laser it is excellent.

And the price? 149. Honestly - I have no idea how a serious business machine like this can be built for this money. It's a bargain, and I can see that this will last longer than the Samsung (which is currently 50 more), despite the fact that this has a 3 year warranty.

A best buy. I'm delighted.

It was sold through Quest Business Products and although I ordered it on the Tuesday afternoon on standard 3-5 working day shipping, it arrived mid-morning the next day. Superb service. It got me out of a jam as it happens (literally).

4.0 out of 5 stars It arrived safely and it's HEAVY, 13 Jun 2012
Brother HL3040CN Compact High Speed Network Colour LED Printer
First impressions: It's HUGE and heavy! However, it arrived safely and it works fine.
Unfortunately, the PDF User Instructions (on disc) weren't fully readable in Apple Mac's 'Preview" App so I had to use Adobe Acrobat instead.
Setting up on my 'network' of three Macs connected to an ADSL router proved problematic until it was pointed out to me that I could access the printer's Setup Menu system via my web browser, by forcing the printer to print out its information, which included its DHCP allocated IP address. That IP address (192.168.1.6 on my network) could then be typed into the web browser (Safari) to access the printer's own setup menu so that the IP address could be changed to a STATIC (192.168.1.100) IP address.
The new IP address could then be used in the Print/Fax setup window under System Preferences for each Mac.
The print quality is excellent. Even photographs look perfect to me. Now I'm waiting to see how reliable the printer is and how long the toner lasts. Replacing the four cartridges will probably cost as much as a new printer so I'll be looking for refills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laser printer!, 1 Dec 2011
Fantastic colour laser printer at a very affordable price. I have previously owned Brother colour laser printers and was always happy with them. This one is lighter and cheaper than my last one (HL-4040CN) and is highly recommended! Easy to network and maintain via browser access.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother HL3040CN, 10 April 2011
Prompt delivery. Absolutely no problem to set up once I realised what was needed. It did need separate installations for the desktop and each of the two laptops but once that was done it has worked perfectly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›