on 8 June 2011
Bought two of the drives and am very, very pleased. I compiled a shedload of VHS tapes into a drawer full of DVD discs, then later recompiled these onto Seagate 1.5TB hard drives in "raw data" and "compilation for playing" formats. We can watch the compilations on the TV through cheap Nboxes from Ebay shops, or (better and more recently) ViewSonic VMP73 / VMP74 which support more file formats than the Nboxes.

Most of the Seagates (we have 10) developed the notorious "click of death". Whilst none has failed so far, they often became extremely slow to the point where the Nbox gave up trying to access the data and reverted to its "home page".

I chose the Samsungs to replace the "compilations for playing" through reading reviews, only one disappointed user who seems to have bought a duff one. They do not have the Seagate clicking/stalling problem, and we watch something several times a week. I have all the movies on one drive, the second is a backup kept in the garage and taken with us when caravanning so we can watch it through a similar setup when we are away. The Seagates now hold the "raw data", at least 2 copies of each, should we ever need this to recompile anything.

Overall superb products that seem to be perfectly reliable. Oh, and the Samsung and Seagate PSU's are compatible (12 volts DC 2 amps stabilised to power jacks) so we can swap the drives around between TV and PC stations!
on 11 June 2010
Packaging: Great.

Installation manual could not be shorter but who cares? Nowadays it's a matter of plugin the HD to your computer.

I have bought this HD to be used as a TimeMachine backup system for my various Apple Macs at home. It is plugged in to my Airport Extreme base station USB port.

I formatted the HD with Disk Utility...no problem here.
the HD is small and not noisy (though I usually sit very far from it so noise does not matter). The button on the front is to power it off/on and adjust the light intensity. Light comes from underneath the HD, it's a bit geeky but not a big deal. I don't know why most HD manufacturers feel the need for this sort of lighting.

I cannot comment on reliability yet.

It came as a replacement for a 5 years old LaCie external HD that shows dangerous signs of end of life. I hope this one will last as long as that.
on 18 August 2011
I got this a few days ago and it's excellent! i'm getting mac to storystation transfer rates of 60MB/s! It transferred 300GB or so or backups in around 2 hours. This is much faster and quieter than my old Western Digital drive, and much better build. The whole case is made of a cool black metal, whereas WD is all plastic and has a cheaper feel to it. This comes with a fairly short cable but I bought a 2 metre USB A to mini B cable and this can now reach from the cupboard where it's stored to my desk.

My only advice for all you guys is to shop around. I got this very drive for £65 inc delivery from ebuyer. They also sell longer cables which I got too. I have no hesitation in recommending this drive. I also have a samsung g2 ultra slim 1TB. That is an awesome drive too!
on 27 January 2012
Naturally a five star rave review becomes a one star flop if a hard drive dies on you.
But I have had two of these 2 Tega versions (one to back up the other) for six months and used them interchangeably as a music server for a 2200 CD collection painstakingly transferred to .WAV lossless files for both archiving AND instant access. {EDIT...Now happily owned for 42 months without hitch or blip....and after twice daily connection/reconnection from computer to music streamer}
However often I disconnect one or the other from my amplifier or from my computer without properly going through 'Safely Remove Hardware' they both carry on and power up in twenty seconds - as befits this amount of storage! Naturally if one of these units does collapse on me I will purchase a different brand for future back-up of the second Samsung, and so on!
But for now I can't see these being a problem.
Sometimes the drive is alleged to have failed according to a message on-screen, or is not recognised.
All you have to do is switch them off, restart your computer and re-establish the connection. Most likely a number of the One-Star reviewers have failed to use this simple trick for 'recovering' lost connections or supposedly 'lost' data. The same thing happens with your average DVD recorder or your Sky connection, or whatever hi-tech digital storage/digital streaming mechanism these days, including your office multi-function photocopier. Switch off. Unplug. Reconnect. Start again. Hey bisto. Instant gravy!
:-)
on 11 September 2011
Initially seemed to be a good product, but after 6 weeks it stopped working. Amazon though have been superb and have agreed to have it returned. This may be a one off, but I will not be buying another one of these. Once bitten.....
on 26 June 2011
Cannot give it another chance after the second one has died in the last 12 days.. Will try another brand.
Amazon was excellent shipping both disks quickly. Well done, Amazon but not Samsung...
on 8 January 2012
Excellent product I've had it for 6 months now and have had no problem with it.
It came in a very good packaging, and was very easy to set up.
However it is no 2TB it is only 1.8 TB.
Very nice design with a nob that helps regulate the brightness and turn it on and off.
However it is big and hard to carry around (heavy), but is very robust. It's been dropped once and still works perfectly.
Transfers data very quickly and has a very nice design. Comes with some Samsung security software (secretzone) and a backup software (autobackup).
This hard disk drive is very good value, but seems to turn off on it's own after several hours of use.
It has got several small problems but over all it is an excellent hard disk drive to store music, videos and backup's.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2011
works fine, was able to recover some data that i had on dvd's to this drive..it took in 100+ dvd's. A bit slow but I guess soner or later I need to go to USB3 devices. Some transfers are a bit sensitive causing the devices to shut down. I gave 4 stars because i'm not sure if this is due to my aging laptop or the device. generally is happens when transfering usb to ubs, dvd rom to HHD. the savest option is dvdrom to internal HDD to external HDD. I must say usb to usb is a much quicker option if you don't have that issue. I really hope this is going to last a bit. as soon as i have some extra cash i'll buy a second one to back-up this one..just to be sure.
on 28 April 2011
Arrived on time.

Item worked nicely; formatted it to NTFS.
No complaints, except the USB cable is a little too short for me. so i gave it a one star less.
Have had the drive for a while now. Still works.

No complaints.
on 29 September 2011
This product looks good and sounds good, ie no sound. However there were problems. I tried to transfer 280Gb of music over from another drive and it kept stopping at about 90Gb. The computer did not then recognize the drive. This happened three times which as you can imagine was very time consuming ,,,for nothing ! To resolve the problem I reformatted the hard drive removing all the software Samsung install and since then has worked fine Perhaps Samsung should look at their software as this was obviously the problem. Would probably buy again as I know what to do now. 3 stars only for wasting my time initially.