Not being a fan of Siobhan's first solo outing as Shakespear's Sister on "3", and after a few collaborations and solo singles under her own name, I was wondering if we'd ever hear from her again. Although this is a compilation in a way (more on that later) it works perfectly as an abum, with the three bonus tracks complimenting the main album perfectly.

Siobhan...
Published on 13 Dec 2009 by M. B. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars past it?
Bought this as I never had hormonally yours of my cd player I think that they should have left well alone and just let us have our memories !
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Personal Shopper extraordinaire

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant no 4! A real shame it won't get the attention it deserves, 13 Dec 2009
M. B. Wilson "crushtrash" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs from the Red Room (Audio CD)

Siobhan released 3 singles (2 on her own SF records) several years ago, "Bitter Pill" (with the Droids), "Pulsatron" and the more indie "Bad Blood". They came with a selection of mixes and all disappeared without trace, supposedly scuppering the release of the album she was working on. However it's great to see these tracks surface in a genuine album environment.

Interestingly "Bitter Pill" has been dramatically reworked here, from electro-kitsch to something far more indie, and different lyrics. Also the two chosen mixes of "Pulsatron" are the least electro I've heard, so work perfectly here (generally minus the high-pitched backing vocal yelps, thankfully). "Cold" appears in its full vocal glory, plus the sinister Death In Vegas dubby version, I'd not heard the proper song before so this was a very pleasant surprise! "It's A Trip" was originally another electro collaboration, re-recorded here for consistency of production, although it still has that Donna Summer-esque sequence!

All in all if you liked her solo singles, then there is plenty here to get you thinking or dancing (or even both), and the re-recordings/mixes gel extremely well. If you liked "3" the this s slightly trendier approach, and falls in nicely with the current electro tinged scene. She sings her heart out on the closer, "Loaded Gun", which is one of the most emotional vocals we've heard from her, whilst she sounds a bit like an up-to-date Siouxsie Sioux on other tracks.

This album is a real gem, so thanks to Siobhan for the work, and the labels for releasing it, however low-key. Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album..., 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Songs from the Red Room (Audio CD)
Every track on this album is contagious and edgy. Particularly like 'Was it worth it', 'Bitter pill' and 'A loaded gun' but there are lots of other really strong tracks on the album. In fact, the only track I don't like is the remix of 'Cold' by Death in Vegas. However, the album version of 'Cold' sounds great. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars You're Not History!!!, 24 Nov 2009
Gregory W. Peterson "GWP" (Seattle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs from the Red Room (Audio CD)
Just received the new SS CD in the mail. I must say that even know I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the CD more than twice, I'm fairly impressed. This one is a grower, that's a good thing. The growers are spun allot longer. I know from following Ms. Faye's music trial that this was to be a solo album recorded over so many years. Thank god she resurrected the SS Fodler!!! I have the first 2 albums and the twelve inches. I always been very fond of SS. I was very disappointed when Ms. Detroit left. I always thought the 2 blended well. I have read a number of reviews on the new album that state the songs seem to be dis-joint and don't fit together do to the fact that they were recorded over several years. I think they blend quit nicely. Though I haven't a favorite yet, it appears there is no filler here. I have heard a number of the songs over the years a have the remixes for Bitter Pill. If your questioning on whether to spend your hard earned cash on the new SS album. Do it its a worthy investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars past it?, 13 Sep 2010