Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.84

on 6 October 2009
This is a cracking read. I'm a fan of Chris anyway from Radio 2 but it really is an eye-opener to see just how much he's changed from the older, wilder days and matured into a decent, hard-working man. Definitely recommended!
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2009
My experience of Chris Evans comes from the Big Breakfast, Don't Forget your Toothbrush and latterly Radio 2 drive time. I have vague recollections of all the press interest but not anything really sticks in my mind if someone wanted me to report on the dirt that the press have wielded about regarding Evans.

This book is so ultimately refreshing. Yes Chris is a manic character and this comes across in his book, as the speed of the writing you can imagine him there reading it out and bouncing around the space as he tells it. Evans starts at the beginning of his childhood and he has really been honest and told us exactly what it was like living with his parents especially after his father died and also how he learnt to work hard for what you want and take all the risks you can to get there. His rise to metority of being the marker up in the newsagents speaks volumes. One word of warning with some risks there becomes pitfalls - look out for them they are the ones that will trip you up. Evans warns you of this as he did not heed any advice around him.

Evans goes from working in the newsagent, to the radio with television along the way and with it his success and failure of getting a foot in the door to do the one thing he obviously loves. Reading about all this background to Evans has made me listen with a different ear to his Radio 2 programme and no doubt will make me more consciously aware when he takes over the Breakfast show in 2010.

There is an abundance of honesty in this book. Chris knows he has done wrong in the past made some mistakes, (like not turning up for work after a rather long drinking session) made some financial misjudgements and hurt obviously a lot of people that he cared about. He recognises this and perhaps this book is a way of putting right the wrongs - Chris puts both points of view across and actually I felt the man less arrogant than I originally thought. Though if I had met him at the time no doubt I would have done. Chris has changed something which he admits as he writes this book and obviously has reflected on a lot whilst writing this book.

To divide the book up into chapters, events and memories Chris Evans uses a `Top Ten' list to start each one off, from Top 10 First Memories of going to School to Top 10 Things that help get a Deal done. This breaks the book up nicely and allows some premise top exactly what each chapter is going to hold. A good tool to spark memories. Chris Evans has had an impact on radio (and television) but has also had an impact on the business side of the business called show. Something which, maybe the average reader does not realise or know enough about how it all works. This book will give you that rare insight. A man who got Richard Branson onto his main rivals, flagship airline must have something.....

Book two, previewed towards the end of this autobiography must mean there is so much more to come, and no doubt there is. Chris you have set yourself a task now, no doubt purposely planned to write the next chapter in your life. If you were afraid if the reaction you got with this one and were just testing the waters, then you succeeded in my opinion - dive right in and tell us the rest of the story.
on 23 August 2011
A very enjoyable read and interesting to hear about his life, things I did not know about him at all, his time on and off radio and expecially his involvement with Richard Branson, I was not disappointed with this book and liked the `Top Ten' at the beginning of each chapter, looking forward to reading Memoirs of a fruitcake !
on 3 June 2012
A very good read indeed, Chris gives the impression, when he presents, weather on TV or Radio, that we are all his mates... And once more we all welcome to drop in at anytime. Have enjoyed every page as there were quite a few laugh out loud moments. Looking forward to reading Memoirs of a Fruitcake
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2009
I've long been a fan of Chris Evans and been somewhat fascinated by the man himself, so when I saw that he had released his autobiography and it was available at a great price, I had no hesitation in taking the plunge. I've just finished the book in about a week and it was a great read - lots of short, punchy chapters with the story of his life told at pace in a light-hearted, self-critical and humorous way. There are only a couple of things to be aware of 1) this book only goes as far as the point where Chris Evans takes over Virgin Radio, so there is a lack of anything from the more recent chapters of his life and 2) the story is a little all over the place in parts, which can make bits a little hard to follow (or maybe it was just me who was tired). I can heartily recommend this book (and am sure it will sell zillions in the run up to Christmas) but personally I am looking forward to the next installment of Evan's life story even more, with the fall from the public eye, the marriages and the re-birth as a Radio 2 DJ.....plus hopefully a few funny tales of life with Gazza, Jimmy Fivebellies and Danny Baker.
on 18 November 2011
This is a good book, I bought this and the second book but did not read them as I had my Kindle but when I saw they were reduced on Kindle I downloaded them both but there are no photos and other images in the Kindle version which is not great. I am lucky in as much as I have the original books so I can look at the photos but this is a bad show from a Kindle perspective. Having said that,this is not criticism of Chris Evans as these are good books.
on 3 January 2010
I loved this book sad to finish it in many ways as it had been the highlight of my day to share a few chapters of his story. He comes across as inspiring, interesting and very grounded and I'll certainly buy the next one. Well done Chris - enjoy what you've undoubtedly earned, buy the book.
on 27 October 2009
Can I just say what a truly brilliant, inspiring book this really is! Whether you love him or loathe him, Chris has some pearls of wisdom in this book that he's obviously learned the hard way.
From his early days wheeling and dealing in sweets for his schoolmates, paperboy, volunteering at local radio, up to forcing Richard Branson to take a flight on Concorde, his life experiences are rich and varied.
Chris looks back fondly at some of the great highs and also the lows in his career.
The main message I get is that pure hard graft, a little luck and a lot of talent can get you anywhere you want to be in life. Also, sod authority figures if you know better yourself! haha

This is the first book I've read, that as soon as I've finished, I've started to re-read immediatley again!
Roll on volume 2!
on 21 October 2009
This book was fun to read because I listened to, and always liked (even in some of his more obnoxious moments), Chris Evans throughout many of the events he documents. I finished the book (in just a couple of sessions by the way... its readable as well as a bit short) still feeling fond of him because what comes through is a - doubtless recently discovered - sense of humility and self-awareness which is endearing. Unlike his colleague Jonathan Ross, whose similarly marketed but tedious and disappointing effort came out this time last year, Chris is generous with his revelations and doesn't try too hard to flatter himself. What comes through is a picture of a likeable and talented person whose roller-coaster life, as well as being a hilarious and enjoyable story, has led to an unlikely happy outcome, largely because of his prodigious talent and unsentimental - now at least - self-awareness.

It could have more... it misses out huge chunks of what I remember from his career (cameo appearances only for his Radio 1 team who at the time felt like family to listeners as well as each other), but I guess he was mindful of the need to write to book that (as well as being nice and quick to turn out) isn't just for his groupies and geeks and maybe there are still things he prefers to gloss over.

At the end there's a very sweet collection of letters from various lovers, colleagues, offspring and family mentioned in the book. I think that, along with the top ten lists heading up each chapter, I enjoyed these the most mainly because they included people who I remember from Chris's long period in the headlines and whose relationships with him, I always assumed, ended in acrimony. Their affection comes through, increases mine and makes me think my own fondness for Chris Evans was never mis-placed, however many people couldn't understand it at the time.

Looking forward to the next book, the rest of the story (as told in the tabloids) is at least as much fun
on 24 February 2010
I found this very interesting as I've always been a Chris Evans fan since his Big Breakfast days. Chris started on the TV when I was at school and then I listened to him on the radio throughout being at University. Typically, for an autobiography I don't suppose it would be of much interest if you haven't been a fan or had particular interest in the writer, but as I have I really enjoyed the book. Didn't realise it wasn't the full autobiography though. The book is only up to the time he buys Virgin radio so you've got to wait till he's written the next book to continue.