5.0 out of 5 stars Good value
Published on 29 Oct 2010 by James B. Spink

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too US-oriented
I had hoped that these DVDs would have added gaps to my knowledge of Irish history, but after viewing the first two, I'm in no hurry to view the others.

Published on 29 Jun 2011 by sweepface

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 29 Oct 2010
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ireland: The People & Events That Shaped the Emerald Isle (6 DVD Gift Pack) (DVD)
The History Channels "Ireland" is not a box-set in the true sense but more a collection of different documentaries with Irish themes. Some DVDs are episodes from other series and some are stand alone programmes; Amazon's Product Description gives an outline of what each DVD contains. The six discs together cover the major aspects of Irish history from Cromwell onwards - all are interesting and some really capture the imagination.

This set is really good value - Amazon currently around eight quid - and will be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in Irish history or with Irish ancestry. Each DVD is in its own case and the six cases fit into the presentation box with no booklets or any other information, as you may expect from a budget collection. Five stars for value, even if some of the material is a little elderly.........now if only they could have included a couple of songs by Luke Kelly!

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too US-oriented, 29 Jun 2011

The first one is taken from an American series 'Conqueror' and is presented by an ex-military type who still carries the title 'captain'. It concentrates on Cromwell more than on Ireland, and even so the historical background is glossed over. Much time is given to the weaponry, mainly the muskets and cannon used at the time, rather than the politics. It even has the infuriating habit of using place names US-style, for example 'Cromwell landed at Dublin, Ireland...'. What Dublin was he going to land at when invading Ireland? The one in Ohio? California?

The second DVD was actually worse. I'm of Scots-Irish origin and the famine still has a strong resonance when I research my family tree. However it seems that those who fled the famine ALL went to America. There was not a single reference to those who sought work in West of Scotland and North West England.

The third disc is about the Irish in America, so no need to guess where the focus will be there. The DVD set was cheap, but not particularly good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great understanding of a great country, 10 Nov 2010
I was given this box set as a present,from start to finish these dvd's give you a great insight of the struggles that the irish have had to endure through the ages. Just listen to the comments made by 1916 easter rising veterans to understand the reasons they went to war. A really good set of dvds for anyone interested in irish history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 1 Jan 2011
Bought this for my husband for christmas 2010.Didn't read the reviews before hand and wish I had. Thought this was a stand alone series like the recent History Chanel series on the USA, but it's just one off doc's put together. My husband's english and living in Ireland and very interested in Irish history so thought he would really like this set, but this is irish history as told through Irish American mouths, the mis-prounations are dreadful for me to hear but my husband did't mind. I'm sure it would be very interesting for non irish to watch and learn. For the money it's ok my, husband really enjoyed it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 1 Jan 2011
I must confess, I've only viewed the first 2 DVDs and I'll struggle to be motivated to see more.
As others have said, the American drawl (particularly on the first disc) seems highly inappropriate when discussing Cromwell's forays into Ireland. But then, looking at the credentials of those commentators who ARE of English origin, they've given up on UK plc and are now working in the States.
The re-enactment scenes are hardly worthy of a series which could, and should, give us much more.
Perhaps if the whole thing had been done by the producers of 'Coast' then we'd have been much better served.

Andrew Kidd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Irish-American history, 30 April 2011
B. Stewart "Brian Stewart" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
I got the set at Christmas, and still haven't watched them all. I've just finished watching the story of the famine: the background about the failing of the potato crop was good, but it then descended into a very sketchy tale of emigration to America. The whole episode was very lightweight - nothing of the politics behind it, or attempting to look at the IRISH (as opposed to the Irish American) context, and its effect on Ireland today.

Another episode concentrated purely on Irish Americans. I thought I was getting a history of Ireland. It seems not.

I'm English-born of Irish parentage. I live in England now, have spent much of my life travelling between the two countries, have lived and worked in Ireland in the past, and hold an Irish passport. I think I know Ireland and Irish history fairly well, and am always interested in knowing more. I've watched four of the six so far: they are very poor, very shallow, and add nothing to my knowledge.

Poor, light-weight, sketchy, subjective: we have here documentaries on some events in Irish history told from an Irish-American viewpoint. There is no attempt to tell the story of Irish history culminating in the modern Irish state - I would recommend this to no one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Already been said but..., 22 Aug 2011
I'll say it again.

This is a rather sentimentalist American style box-set. Then again, as a student of history myself, I find a lot of programmes on the history channel are of a similar ilk. Stick to good old BBC productions if you want something more honest and with more depth. After seeing this I wouldn't ever buy a history channel dvd again.

Still something you can just stick on sunday afternoon if you're bored and it'll do the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars A History of Ireland, 30 Mar 2010
S. Macartney "mac gael" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent box set which deals well with very difficult subject matter, it make you wish to find out more
and explore more areas of Irish culture, music and history,

4.0 out of 5 stars Ireland; People & Events that shaped the Emerald Isle, 4 Feb 2011
I am in the process of compiling the history of the Coady family ( Tipperary & killkenny)and on a speculative basis purchased the DVD set. I have the impression that the set was compiled for an american audience as it is in a simplified form and also has a distinct bias and somewhat anti english sentiment. Nevertheless I found the DVD enlightning ,educational and entertaining. Each DVD is of almost 55 minutes duration and therefore suitable for progressive use. The Easter Uprising of 1916 I found most interesting. History of the Irish in the USA was the least relevant for a European to understand the development of Ireland and its people, other than the american irish funding terrorism against the British.At the reduced price , it is excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain DVD series on complex history, 2 Aug 2010
M. Knell (GB) - See all my reviews
Histories of Ireland can be light-weight and thin, this one I've found to be a decent stab at it in 6 DVDs.
The price was superb too.
I liked it.