4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game with very high specs
I first purchased this game as a 2nd hand copy from ebay, I would like to warn people that all 2nd hand copies have been linked by the previous owner to their steam account which can be done only once so you wont be able to play them.

Published on 8 Oct. 2010 by Frankthetank1983

3.0 out of 5 stars MURPHY's LAW ON RADIOACTIVE TOVARICHES
This is not a game to pick up to have mindless fun. Because everything that can go wrong eventually will. Unfortunately not just in the game.

Published on 23 Mar. 2010 by NeuroSplicer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game with very high specs, 8 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

To the game, the game itself is such an imersive and frightening experience that had me quaking in my boot, from the low powered torch light bouncing off the walls of the Metro tunnels highlighting every shadow and making the experience truly scary.
The Nature of the game is highlighted in the fact that the ammo that you use too dispatch enemies is also used as currency, so you can have a really nice shiny gun but no ammo to fire it (dont worry you always have your knife)

The main dissapointment for me was the truly high specs of the game, long gone are the days when I would go out and buy a new computer just to play Halflife 2. I spend over 2 hours tweaking the game settings and display settings just so I could play but when I did it was truly worth the wait.

In short great game excellent replay vaule due to different endings, as well as game play style's (sneaky coward or gun hoe), you need a powerful computer to get the best out of the game but it is more than enjoyable with the lowest graphics settings.

cheers

Frankthetank

4.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing game, but it has problems., 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
First of all, this game is fantastic. It places you in the constantly terrified shoes of Artyom, fighting to survive against some of the most terrifying creature you can think of (barring anything from Dead Space because that stuff is nightmare fuel). The weapons are fun to use, all of them carrying that retrofitted feel, and the way the currency works is spectacular in the experience. By making bullets your currency, it gets you to constantly think about ammo conservation, and to scavenge around at every single opportunity, just like the destitutes that inhabit the metro would.
My main problem, though, was that it simply did not work right with my screen. I have a widescreen monitor, and the game actually cuts off a large section either side, making it inhumanly wide. I fixed this with a mod, but this in turn forced me to read things with altered text - but despite this, if you allow for this 1 problem, the graphics are truly something to behold... and to lag. The game has horrible optimisation, and you need to tone down the amazing graphics just for it to work.
Overall, this game seems to use a large points pool for it's attributes, and seems to have shoved them all into fun, fear, atmosphere, beauty, and Russians, and seemed to ignore graphical usability entirely. But it has cheats, in that regard, so by and large, buy this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Enough Game, 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This was an impluse buy for me as I was 'in-between' games.

I wasn't expecting much. An immersive first-person shooter. Something with some orginality.

And, this game delivered.

The setting is unusual - post-apoc Moscow. The scenario brings some new elements into play, such as different factions & of course the mutants. The levels are well-paces & atmospheric. The gun-play has the right feel & the upgrading system makes sense as you make your way through the levels.

Overall, it's a fun game which can be creepy at times. The drawback for me was that it was very much 'on the rails'. I know all games have an element of this but I came from playing Fallout3 New Vegas so I did miss this. At times, the game is so linear that you get to point and everyone stands around waiting for you to 'do something'.

The graphics look a little dated now but nothing wrong with that. The coding all seems robust so no crashes or glitches in my version.

So, nothing offensive in the game. It's a brave attempt to bring something new to the busy genre. The story was solid enough although I didn't find it that immersive....I cared about the characters but not that much. Still, a good game if you can get it at the right price & the over-kill of AK-47s is a big plus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like STALKER - and hurrah for that!, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Initially I had posted a less than favourable review on Metro 2033 - because of various frustrations I had while playing the game (lack of ammo, feeble weapons etc)

Any yet - even after posting that review - I was still drawn back to playing the game.

Why? Because of the compelling atmosphere and - once I got the hang of it - the total immersion.

After watching a few walkthrough videos of Metro2033, I began to appreciate what a great game this is - and also, what a quality game it is.

Some may say that it's a very linear game - and in a way it is. But it's based around adventuring in an underground Metro system where all tunnels have to lead somewhere - so that's totally logical.

It is also very story driven, so you don't find yourself getting sent on pointless side-quests; there are no go-here-and-get-that-then-bring-it-back-to-me-to-get-useless-reward scenarios here. You're continually scavenging for weapons and ammo - and when you arrive at secure Metro Stations, you're able to trade ammo and buy upgraded weapons etc.

In between stations - it's a fight for survival. It's a stark world portrayed in Metro 2033 - and living in it isn't easy. But that's how it should be in a game portraying post-nuclear Moscow - and the game's graphics, sounds and AI portray this beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read IGN review. Old FPS PC gamer here. The game was...., 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
First of all, i wanted to reviewer know I am old PC gamer. Games like classic Doom, Quake, Medal of Honor, Duke Nukem, Counter-Strike 1.6 and Half-Life is my old past games that i have experience at that time. I'm also play a modern FPS such Bioshock, Crysis and many linear FPS or arena team based.

Easy to say, this game was masterpiece of new IP even it's adaptation from book novel. I have play lots FPS and this game was the most astonishing atmospheric feeling I haven experience in FPS gaming. The graphic, the animation movement that interact with equipment and the sound looks me feel like I'm in there. It's hard to explain but if you imagine how do you survive in the abandon underground tunnel that connected to each other to reach other survivor location. How it feel when nuclear war happens and poisoned air pollution affect from nuclear weapon in surface.

All equipment has great interact with you such, you need a gas mask, if you reach on the surface area and also you will need air filter to change every several minutes. You can look your hand watch if time has ready or you can hear you breath is become hard. The other equipment such flashlight, you must pull the battery charger into flashlight or your light become low. The weapon it self has feel 'heavy' each you shoot or reload. It's become realistic if you hard to reload during the monster straight to attack at your face.

The best thing about feel atmospheric was sound and graphic. Great combination either. It's really dark, nothing you can see if you don't open your flashlight, the smoke feel the oxygen is too low. Hard to breath. Depress and tension. One mission I remember was when I need to explode the tunnel to stop the monster horde from attacking at safe place, the explosion wave effect 'feel' the pressure come toward at you. It's different when explode something in the tunnel rather at surface. The sound of environment feel you watch every step you walk. Monster, ghost or bandits are ready to after you. Every 'kerk' sound and foot steps make you feel something behind you. Abandon stuff, corpses and wall or room full of dust feel it's being abandon long time and not touches by living thing.

Some say, the game is hard. Yes, this game is hard in standard shooter even you choose normal difficulty but it has reason to be hard. The monsters, yes hard to die if you shoot several time with shotgun bullet and the mechanic weapons seems like heavy and slow, yes, what do you aspect if you shoot using gun in WW2? Every bullet is gold. The most important thing in this game was bullets, some bullets that you can trade in the underground market using to get better weapon and the bullets in this game is precious. How do you feel when you not enough bullets fighting monster horde and try to find them what ever in situation. I'm struggle to find spare weapon or bullets every corpses to survive. Or med-kit.

I think this is the best FPS post-apocalypse game I haven experience. The original Bioshock is amazing but this game give me more environment suspense and the tension feel more realistic. I'm play with PC version with enhanced in direct 11. The only problem about this game is POV (Point of View). Glad I can change manually with txt. file data according helper in Steam Community.

And lastly, I just know IGN screw it up. Stupid reviewer doesn't know how to rate good game. PC version doesn't have graphics problem at all even glitches. This game must try if you love Bioshock or Singularity, Give a chance to new good IP game. I'll look at sequel, Metro Last Light.

3.0 out of 5 stars MURPHY's LAW ON RADIOACTIVE TOVARICHES, 23 Mar. 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

The game is set in a postapocalyptic Russian cityscape where only the lucky(?) commuters in the famous Moscow underground survived the nuclear blasts - and are now tormented by the cruel conditions they have to face. The underground tunnels belong to surviving humans ranging to both ends of the moral spectrum and various mutant creatures, all trying to make the most of their life.

And life is harsh. Ammunition is so scarce it is used as currency. So you have to be very careful with your aim. Having to make every shot count may sound fun but the next time you get caught with an almost empty weapon between nasty mutants and bloodthirsty enemies you may long for a more generous game design.
The weapons are not many but they are well designed. Both the pre-war and the improvised ones offer more or less realistic mechanics and satisfying results.

Light and shadows play an important role and stealth is something you will be thinking quite a lot - especially if you are low on ammunition. The graphics of the environments are detailed and beautiful whereas the movements seem fluid and natural. The game designers aimed in increasing the immersion factor wherever they could (there is no HUD besides your cross-hairs, you have to hit T to take a look at your watch - very important when venturing into the irradiated cities); however, pop-up messages and stuttering take a big bite out of that.

METRO 2033 will inevitably be compared to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. I found that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is more of an RPG (hence its open sandbox nature) whereas METRO 2033 is more of a shooter with a predestined path to follow.

The PC I run this maxed out on was a year old system (WinXP SP3, P7 920 on MSI Eclipse with 3GB of RAM and an ASUS nVIDIA GTX260) and the game showed a proneness to stuttering, especially when enemies swarmed. I guess a future patch could take care of that but I would had preferred to receive a finished game and not one rough around its edges.

The retail version of METRO 2033 comes with Red Faction: Guerrilla as a bonus. It is not a bad game and, contrary to METRO 2033, it offers more fun than immersion.

Finally, even he retail version of the game will require to be tied to a STEAM account. Yes that means ownership of your game will be stolen back and you will be allowed to play with it but not actually keep it. Whether this is acceptable to you or not you can now make an informed decision.

TREAD WITH CAUTION.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okayish, Can activate on Steam, 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
You can activate this game on Steam by typing in the serial number from the game you receive in the post. You can then download it using Stream and thus bin the physical CD.

After that I just couldn't get into this game. Starting off wasn't much fun... the game doesn't handle remapping of keys that well so you get "Do this by pressing (UNDEFINED)" prompts. It also didn't like the "Use" key being bound to a mouse button. Poor first impression.

Had to disable DX11/Tessellations to get a good frame rate out of my 6850, but very little else. Even at that the mutants themselves looked like black rag dolls to me. The game is also quite dark and I got sick of them biting my ass as I tried to locate them.

I wouldn't say this game was scary the way Dead Space 2 was, nor did it look anywhere as near good as Crysis 2. If you're picking up older bargain games there are better ones to try first. I uninstalled this after about 2hrs playtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 1 Jun. 2013
D. Hartin "agolay" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I read through alot of reviews before deciding to write this one.

After completing this game i actually sat and watched the credits roll by, i dont think ive ever done that before!

Simply put this is a shooter not an RPG, it dosn't have the RPG elements you find in the fallout series, bauldurs gate etc

However it is one hell of a shooter, it has taken one of the oldest game formats (linear shooter) and given it a new lease of life with interesting additions such as a gas mask (with filters that dont last more than 2 minutes) and a battery recharger, yes you have to recharge you torch or NVG's if you want them to keep working, makes sense really. The areas where you need your gas mask on are great, the sounds and visuals make it so, as with a real gas mask that fogs up pretty easily so does your in game one, breathing with a gas mask isn't as easy as normal either so it makes sense that you can hear Artyum (your character) drewing breath, and find it harder as the filter clogs up.

There are interesting elements to consider when trying to conceal your movement, broken glass, cans, bottles anything that you could accidently bump into and make a noise in real life is in the game.

Even though its a modern shooter it hasn't joined the bandwaggon of having a much gore and throat cutting as possible which in my opinion is great. Ranger mode is deffinatly the way to play the game, no HUD or crosshair make it much more intense.

I will buy the next game Metro: Last Light but know that at the moment my aging computer wouldn't do it justice so it'll have to wait for now.

I was given a promotional copy for free along with some other purchases at game, but for £8 which is roughly what its selling for atm you cannot get a better shooter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has So Much Potential, With So Many Flaws..., 4 May 2013
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The concept of this game is very different, and the atmosphere is like nothing I have ever played before. Roaming dark tunnels with just your flashlight and a scarcity of ammo leaves you constantly on the edge, and you will never find yourself rushing to do anything without hesitation. If there's one thing this game gives 100% on, it's atmosphere. As for the story line, I cannot comment too extensively as I have not completed the game yet. However, there are a few twists and the concept of being underground and sometimes visiting the hostile but eerily silent surface is very enjoyable. The use of ammunition as a currency plays well too, and you really feel like you have to use your resources wisely as they come at a scarce cost.

Despite the advantages of this game however, there are so many flaws which I wish could be changed. The optimisation for graphics in this game is beyond poor. Unless you have a monster gaming PC that has a £300+ GPU and incredible CPU, you will struggle to run this game with any decent settings at a good frame rate. I myself have a new gaming PC from January, and even with my brand new and very expensive GPU I can't run this game comfortably with any good graphics settings. I have found a way of greatly improving FPS in my user settings, and I have created a downloadable version if anyone wishes to use my settings (it really does work).

Here is a link if you so wish, including instructions to apply the settings: [...]

The animations of characters in-game are pretty bad too, and this hugely affects the story line as characters don't feel 'real' when you're with them, and the voice acting can be a bit cheesy at times. Overall this game has much potential, but these negatives really let it down. Out of all games I've played, including Dead Space 1,2 and 3, Amnesia and Slender, this is by far the scariest I have played. There was a mission a few days ago that I played, where a mutated monster ran at me from behind, and I literally jumped out of my chair when this happened. The game is very good at creating jump scares, where you will be attacked when you least expect it, and when wearing surround sound headphones, hearing a mutant running at your from behind is extremely frightening!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games I have ever played!, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Metro 2033 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This game is Amazing! Most fun I've had in a video game in a while. Literally from the moment I sat down, I was hooked, I couldn't stop playing! The atmosphere in the underground metro is great! The small towns never feel empty, It feels like it should, with lots of people going around the place, doing their own thing. Small fires giving off light with people gathered around them talking, drinking, some sleeping. Lots of little locked off cabins the people call their home.

The towns are all great until you have to leave them. Suddenly the atmosphere changes, you are no longer safe. This is where the game gets really tense. You'll be shining your flashlight around every corner to make sure there are none of... ...them. Enemies are so hard to kill it makes it scary walking around every corner. Everything is so realistic. You can shoot a light bulb with a silenced pistol to make it dark. You can then put on your night vision goggles and sneak around the enemy. Or.. You can toss a fully cooked grenade over to the enemies feet when they least expect it, then go silent and pick of each one individually, not making a sound as you do it.

And then, after hours of blowing up enemies, and being petrified of meeting one of the mutants which live in the dark, the relief of seeing a huge metal gate, with soldiers waiting there, opening the gates and letting you into the nice atmosphere of the city. You are then able to rest, explore the place, talk to people, buy new weapons, or resupply your old ones.

This game is amazing, and you should definately BUY IT NOW if you havent already! The campaign is amazing and will last you ages, you will be addicted as soon as you start playing! The only reason your reading this review is because you are thinking about it. So trust me, it will be the best £3-5 you have ever spent on a game!

Metro 2033 (PC DVD)
Metro 2033 (PC DVD) by THQ (Windows Vista / XP)