5.0 out of 5 stars Wii-lly good console - not just for children
My partner and I bought this stylish black Wii console for a joint Christmas present to ourselves, together with a Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board (Wii).

The black Console blends well with our other black boxes under the TV - such as the Surround sound system and video recorder. I think the white one would have been much more conspicuous.

We intended...
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by D. Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars It comes with a nunchuck.....
Great item, delivered and packaged well as always by Amazon. The product description is boring and long winded and fails to mention that it comes with a nunchuck in the package too as well as the much mentioned motion plus controller.
Having known this it would have saved me buying and then having to return one of the nunchucks.
Otherwise great love the black...
Published on 7 Jan 2010 by Ozzy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii-lly good console - not just for children, 15 Dec 2009
D. Clarke "Dragonthoughts" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii Console (Black) with Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus Controller (Wii) (Video Game)

We intended to check that it worked, then wrap it up for Christmas, however, we enjoyed the Wii so much, that we've kept it out and used it for almost a month.

We're in our 40s and wish that there was something this entertaining when we were younger. It has helped us to regain some fitness in a fun way and we suffer a minor addiction to the 100 pin bowling on the Wii Sports Resort.

The Wii also lets you install a copy of the BBC i-player, so that you can download BBC programs that you missed and failed to record because you were enthralled by the Wii.

Top marks to Nintendo, video consoles have come a long way since my old Sega Master Sytem II Console.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's wonderful!, 22 Feb 2010
I. Oxley "IanO" (Eastern Counties, UK) - See all my reviews
Well there isn't too much more to be said about the Nintendo Wii than has already been written, but I will repeat some of the basics as I am reviewing the new, limited, black edition, bundled with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, plus a Motion Plus controller extension as you would expect for Resort. You can get a comparable bundle in the traditional white and, when I bought mine, the price for each bundle was identical.

This limited black edition is a beautiful addition to the range that fits well with a lot of other living room tv and hi-fi equipment and is simply gorgeous in a glossy, 'piano black' finish. The blue illumination around the disc slot looks wonderful against the black finish.

The black edition Wii comes with one unique item, a special soft cleaning cloth. This is because the black Wii is extremely vulnerable to scratching, which is reflected in Nintendo's instructions. Do not use a conventional duster on a black Wii or you will mark it.

The black Wiimote and Nunchuk are identical to the standard issue in all but colour, but the black remote looks awesome with its mix of gloss and matt finishes.

I've used several Wii consoles very extensively over the last two years and finally treated myself to one of my own when the limited edition came along. I knew exactly what I was getting, what the strengths and weakneses of Wii are, and that the limited edition is down to sales having peaked, and surely after three years something is coming to replace this console.

If you don't know, Wii is backwards compatible with Gamecube and has a hidden set of ports at the top for a Gamecube memory card and controllers. My top tip to you - you can still buy Gamecube controllers and they will work with top Wii titles including Smash Brothers: Brawl, and Mario Kart. Wink, wink! They will also work alongside other players using Wii remotes, Wink, wink!

I love the Wii but it is what it is and it isn't perfect.

Wii lacks power! Nintendo stayed out of the numbers arms race for good reason, but there isn't even enough power at times for some of the games they have designed themselves. My much beloved Mario Kart Wii jerks and slows down with four players. The graphics are not properly HD. You only get a composite cable with the Wii anyway, so to use RGB or component output you must buy another lead. Only one controller set is supplied, albeit in this bundle with Motion Plus included too, but nobody wants to just play alone, so you usually have to budget for a second set right from the off. Luckily, since 65 million people worldwide own a Wii, some of your guests will usually be able to bring remotes! Unlike a Playstation, say, Wii can't read music or a DVD in the drive, however you can get it online and the Internet Channel is now a free download. Although a bit clunky to use, the Opera based browser will work with a USB keyboard, and I have also seen a wireless keyboard on sale for the Wii.

Wii lacks memory! An early issue was that those downloading titles quickly ran out of memory and had to swap titles in and out of their consoles. The SD card slot was used only for backups of data and for loading images to the Wii Photo Channel. Happily, updates to the software in 2009 allow an SD card (not supplied but cheap!) to act as extension system memory, and Wii channels can now be stored on SD and run directly. In effect, this makes the storage on Wii unlimited. Yes, the SD limit on the Wii is 2GB, but this is so much more than the console memory sizem and more than most of us could afford games for, so you can consider it limitless.

Nintendo, like all companies in the console business, wants lots of your money. It gets wrung out of you left, right and centre bacause new accessories and games are 'must haves'. Genuine Wii remotes are not cheap! Top rated Nintendo games are around 35 each. But there are also some great budget releases out there and you can always download quality Wiiware games at a maximum, usually, of around 7 quid a game. Virtual Console may also be of interest, a library of titles from older gamining syetems to run on the Wii. I personally find the price of most VC titles unjustifiably high for games of that age, but the minimum price for anything at the Nintendo shop is 500 Wii points (around a fiver in money). I can't recommend enough that you look at rechargeable batteries or the custom packs that fit into your remote - I particularly like those that charge from USB. In this area, third party maufacturers do well with a huge range of decently priced, good quality parts. I would not, however, buy third party controllers.

Not one of the criticisms levelled at the Wii has stopped it being a runaway success, the best machine ever for uniting families and generations in shared gaming experiences and a uniquely charming little box that has such a universal appeal. I wouldn't be without mine.

I sometimes consider that if someone at Sony or Microsoft had sat in the bath and suddenly dreamed up a simple sports game with a motion sensing controller, then the world would be a different place! But they didn't, and so we have the Nintendo Wii, still going strong, and utterly gorgeous in black. You know you want one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A review from a 'none' gamer fan., 25 Dec 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got this bundle for Christmas and instantly played it - not realizing how many hours of fun I had in one day of using it. I must firstly mention that the Wii is brilliant for a group of people; whether you're sharing one remote and taking turns changing over, or playing it with an additional remote, the console is tons of fun! Even my dad was using it, which isn't a common thing with games consoles! The Wii offers hours of fun and laughter throughout. I'm not a gaming fan at all, but I am enjoying this console. It's accuracy and response with the remote, is amazing. The remote sometimes loses the direction you're aiming at on the game, however this doesn't affect it's overall performance. Don't let the childish like setting to the Wii sports put you off. This really isn't the main importance of the fun and laughter you will have as you play the game. This definitely brings people together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Nov 2009
S. Fairbank (S.Wales, U.K.) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fantastic product, as other reviewers have said before it blends in well with the TV, BluRay Player and even the Sky box! One notable improvement on the black wii is the standby - when you switch the console off via the Wii-mote, it goes to red on the console, whereas on the white wii, switching that one off via the remote only turns it to amber. I like this improvement, although small, as the difference between the green and amber light was so minute you could barely see it on the white console. I guess those of you familiar with it might know where I'm coming from - at least on the black wii I know I have actually turned it off!

It comes complete with black remote, black nunchuck and black motion plus controller, including two silicone covers for both sized remotes. I just prefer the look of the black console and accessories - the blue lights stand out better on it all and it just looks sleeker. They've also included a special cleaning cloth for the wii to avoid scratching. I guess this time round they really have thought of everything!

As for the gameplay - fantastic. Innovative and so much fun. Particularly Mario Kart Wii, endless hours of family fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Jan 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Not much to add that hasn't already been written about it. We've not been a game playing family (this is our first console), but I'm glad we got it. Everyone in the family can play from the kids to our parents and in-laws - so literally everyone from 6 to 60s. The technology is incredible and the attention to detail quite astounding. The remote controls are fully wireless and very sensitive, to the point one almost forgets one is playing a computer game! The remotes also have built-in speakers so you get noises coming out of your individual remote controllers.

I would recommend getting a second remote at the same time as buying this as many of the games are more fun with two players playing simultaneously on screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Wii with Sports Resort and Motion Plus, 1 Dec 2009
T. J. Buttle "riggie" (York, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Being retired it is perhaps strange to be purchasing a Wii. I really wanted it for WiiFit which I now have. This is a remarkable machine if you want to keep fit and play some sports as well. If you want a black one then get it sooner rather than later.A life changing purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for all., 5 Jan 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the black Wii as an early Christmas present to myself and my family which includes myself and one other person who have been playing video games for just about 20 years and my mother who is not much of a fan of video games as they are a bit more tricky for her to play. With the Wii however, even she was able to have a go, enjoyed the games and now is thinking that she may have a "Wii night" with some of her friends.

The console itself is quite nice looking, neat and it blends in with everything else that is connected to the TV. Setting it up for the first time was quite straight forward as the leads will only plug in one way so you can't go wrong. As it is black it does come with a cleaning cloth; the black does show up every single fingerprint so it's maybe not a great choice for those buying it for kids!

The Wii Sports Resort game included in this pack is great fun. Again it can be played by virtually anybody alone or with more than one player and while it is still good alone, it is better with more people to get a bit of competition going. It expands upon Wii Sports with more sports being available to play and some of them reflect on the setting for the game which is a pleasant, sunny, island resort. For instance you can play frisbee with a cute little dog on the beach, go wakeboarding around the island, try skydiving from your living room or have a sword duel up on a circular platform above the water. Some of the games from Wii Sports are back such as bowling and golf but are much improved with the Motion Plus. Having played Wii Sports, the same games in Resort are more responsive and require a little bit more skill. For example, if you don't swing your remote straight, your shot will veer off accordingly. In Wii Sports it would only veer off if you struck too hard. That may be frustrating but I imagine it makes the game that bit more realistic. There are nice little touches such as any Miis (These are representations of the players that you can create on the main Wii interface.) you have created will show up either in the background crowd cheering you on, or be a passanger on a boat or aeroplane. Overall it is a simple game that has universal appeal across the generations, is great fun alone or with others and some of the games do require some effort to play; get a couple of people on the swordplay to see!

The Wii has a different angle to the XBox 360 and PS3 which are maybe more geared to typical gamers. The Wii has a broader appeal across the generations and dare I say it, a bit more sociable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii in motion, 3 Jan 2010
Erika Egan (Bad Driburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have purchased the Wii console after my girls tried out the white model and enjoyed the sports games very much as you don't just sit there and play them. You get a great workout too, if you're willing to. I myself only tried bowling at the time and loved it. I prefer the black console though because it has a more subtle look (it blends in with our other appliances). I am glad we waited also because of the "motion-plus" experience, which gives it an incredible feeling of reality and unexpectancy which you can try out with all the games that come along with it. The manual was easy in explaining setting up the console and controllers. We've connected the Wii up with the internet over DSL-broadband and it gives you so many choices in channels. We've watched DVD's on it and is brilliant quality. There are more features, but that's for you to find out.
Enjoy !! as we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 5 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this game as my husband suffered a stroke 2 years ago and has limited use of his left side and it was recommended to me as a good re-habilitation item and I am pleased to say he plays on it every day with my daughter and I it has been well worth the money to see him participating in an activity and enjoying himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family fun and living room friendly, 4 Dec 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had been thinking about getting the Wii for some time but was concerned it would spoil my high tech living room. The black version however looks fantastic and, without the stand in use, lays discretely on my TV unit. It's surprisingly small and, though I am loathed to admit it, looks cool. It also plays great too. I have a PS3 and for visually engaging games that can't be beaten (unless you're an X-Box convert). The Wii however provides an all-together different experience. I have targeted the sports and activity games. Everyone wants to play the Wii from my grand daughter to my wife (not the most dedicated gamer). I am avoiding buying any "serious" titles for the Wii, like Assassin's Creed II, Avatar and F1 2009, say. The Wii was built for Mario Kart, Sports Resort and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. It's a lot cheaper than installing a bowling ally, tennis court or boxing ring I can assure you. I recommend getting a composite video lead for the Wii if your TV supports it to optimise the relatively simple visuals. In summary, when we want to have fun or want to involve everyone in the action it's the Wii we choose.