5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Stable, easy to configure and advanced features.
So impressed. Had it running more or less just a few clicks out of the box. Set it up on O2 LLU (ETH0A) broadband no trouble at all. I get a better SNR, web pages load much faster (whereas previously I had been thinking it was my ISP's slow DNS servers). Even my PING time has improved!

I previously wasted money (by trying to 'save money') by buying a separate...
Published on 19 Feb 2010 by John Bradshaw

2.0 out of 5 stars 7800N - The new one to beat. Really.
I had a Billion router before, but upgraded to this 7800N.

My ping times have dropped from 65ms to 15ms, my synch speed has improved from 4MB to 6.5MB (I'm 4.5km from the exchange) and I have not had a single reboot in the 3 weeks since installing it. It's rock solid at these speeds, 24/7 uptime so far.
My BT line now reports a maximum line speed of 7000K...
Published on 14 April 2011 by Outside the Box

‹ Previous | 148 49 50 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast but very poor WiFi, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router (Electronics)
I bought one of these because of the other reviews and while the actual unit has only dropped out once since I got it a month ago and the speed is good when connected directly, the WiFi signal is very poor. I am receiving better WiFi in my detached house from my neighbours BT router. My old Netgear DG834G router gives a better signal throughout the house. I have tried on every channel and changing the Herz but the signal is still very poor except in the room where the router is located. I do get a signal in the other rooms but only a very weak one. On the plus side set-up is easy. I have written to Billion who say I can send it back but if they test the unit and find no fault there is a 15 charge which I am not prepared to pay as I am presuming these just have a poor signal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally made my mind up., 31 Dec 2010
Having been an ardent Netgear user for over 10yrs, my latest was the RangeMax D834N. For a long time I was getting some right niggly problems i.e, loss of wireless signal, dropped connections, slow connections etc. I done some homework and came across this Billion Model 7800N. The write ups seem to be in favour, so I went for it.

To give you and idea of my home setup that I wanted the router to cope with are as follows
2x iphones (wireless)
2x laptops one being PC and the other a Mac Book Pro (Wireless)
1x Desktop PC (Wired)
1x PlayStation 3 (Wired)
1x PSP (Wireless)
1x LaCie Network Drive (Wired)
Now all these where not making demands on the router at the same time but at least 2 x wireless + 2 x wired were.

I got my new Billion 7800N, plugged it in as instructed, it was working straight from the box, with very little setup. All I had to do was go into the configuration of the router and lock it down, so any passers bye could get in on my network. I have a fairly large 3 bedroom house with the router set up stairs.
I get a good strong signal all over the house. So far I have nothing but praise for the system. Lets see how it goes over the coming months.

Well recommended item, easy understandable setup, you will have no problems...

2.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Believe The Positive Reviews, 1 Jun 2012
KM "Ken" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
I needed a modem router to pass a strong signal across a bungalow with solid internal walls and after reading many many very positive reviews this unit seemed perfect. It was a waste of money and certainly no better than my old Belkin Share modem router. I then bought a set of three TP Link more powerful aerials but this only marginally improved the signal. Finally, I bought a TP Link range extender, again with the higher gain aerials, and now I get an acceptable signal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better, 6 Jan 2012
Edited review of Bipac 7800N #4

This is a review based on a month's use of a Bipac 7800N.

I already own a Bipac 7300N which is an excellent router and opted for the 7800N to hopefully further improve my ADSL service. I live at the end of a *very* long phone line & this router offers technology to address impulse noise in long lines "Phyr" & also an SNR tweak.

I am on my second unit now. The first one was some kind of variation on a returned unit as the box, bags, etc were already opened when I received it. I returned it immediately - this kit is a premium price & you do not want something that someone else has used..

I put it into service easily, enabled Phyr, and the WLAN promptly disappeared 5 or so minutes later - even the WLAN led did not illuminate and using an ethernet cable I found that the wlan had even fallen off the menus. The ethernet then played up and even after a reboot the WLAN was intermittent for a while. I have found an Australian review/forum where this WLAN fault has been reported. However, I think this was a brief setup glitch as it has not repeated itself.

On the upside the unit was easy to configure and the ADSL appears stable. The menus are easy to use and the usual Billion basic and advanced commands are available.

In terms of performance the unit is delivering. The device is resistant to phone calls although it can still drop. Performance is x4 what I am used to. Recovery to a reasonable speed is quick. Previously I could stroll along at .16kbit for days and now I can routinely keep up .5mbit.
So.....
Pros
Stable
resistant to line noise
recovers quickly
maintains 'high' speed internet

cons
worrying wlan

Separate to this I discovered that the unit would drop in the middle of the night, recover adsl but not connect to the internet. This is fixed by swapping to pppoe & llc snap bridging. This is a recommended fix and works but I do not understand why it works.

In summary, recommended but with a slight health warning

1.0 out of 5 stars Over priced and not that great, 15 Feb 2011
I also bought this because it had so many good reviews. I found it very easy to set up the router but impossible even with the help of their tech support to set up a simple web cam. I also found that on occasion when I switched my computer on the signal was not present. It took a router hardware reset to get it back again. I dug out my old router and got the webcam working in a flash and sent the Billion one back.

I didn't see any speed improvement with the Billion over my old router either. Bit of a dead loss unfortunately.

All in all definitely not worth the extra money over other top line routers on here.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Return, 25 July 2012
Again bought item described 'As New' and it had been taken apart and refurbished.THERFORE BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING 'AS NEW' FROM AMAZON WAREHOUSE. I would expect the box to have been opened and perhaps even damaged but not the actual item repaired. SENT STRAIGHT BACK.

NOTE THIS IS NOT A REVIEW FOR THE ROUTER AS NONE HAD BEEN TRIED.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dual - confusing, 17 Sep 2011
Purchased this router assuming it was dual band. It is not, it only operates in the 2.4Ghz band. The Dual in the advertising refers to 'dual WAN' whatever that might be !

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete rubbish!!, 4 Jan 2012
Do yourself a favour and do not believe the product reviews on this router. I bought one to solve a wireless network issue. All reviews raved about long distance tests and signal punching through walls to cover 'vast' areas in premises such as schools. None of it is true. Plugged ours up, got connected and sorted the technical in a short time. Router sitting on counter top with plate glass window in front, three aerial array on router....and.....walk 25yds across a forecourt in plain view of the router...signal drops a bar. By the time you get to 35yds the signal is down to one bar. Moving on inside a property with single block work skin...complete signal loss....so less than 45yards from router with no blockages except for a single wall of breeze block.....

Spent over 8hrs trying various different set-ups including centralising etc. none of it worked....

Have sent the lump of plastic back despite Billion tech dept trying to sort the problem.....no success there!!!

It strikes me as ludicrous that here we are in the genesis years of the 21st century and we cannot sort out a simple wireless range situation.

Answer? Am going to hard-wire..yes labour intensive but once in it will work and save me money!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 20 Aug 2011
I was so disappointed about this, it doesnt work at all :/ I dont know what was wrong but still I think that it is the best wlan modem router. I only got "monday" machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars No better than my old G modem, 6 Aug 2010
I could not get reception in parts of my flat, and I decided that I should upgrade my old Netgear g-router and buy this one. I got influenced by its positive reviews on Amazon. Installation of the new router was relatively OK, although I had trouble with the security settings. But what made me return this product was that the reception was NO BETTER and probably even worse than with my old modem. Don't know whether this is about the thickness of walls, but this new and supposedly superior technology did not deliver the performance that I have expected from it.

‹ Previous | 148 49 50 | Next ›