5.0 out of 5 stars Best Epilator I ever used
This epilator is the easiest on I have ever tried.
It removed the hairs with ease & least discomfort. I didn't feel "much" pain as far as epilators go. By that I mean, I expect some pain as removing hair from the roots by any means is a painful process. It removed the hairs very well, even short hairs.
One thing I really liked about this is the Smartlight which...
Published on 20 Feb 2010 by White Eagle

1.0 out of 5 stars works well but only for 6 months
Published 20 months ago by dogstar

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Epilator I ever used, 20 Feb 2010
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This epilator is the easiest on I have ever tried.
One thing I really liked about this is the Smartlight which shines a light on the area you are epilating/shaving & you can see what you are doing (I just wish it was a bit stronger). It claims to create an almost daylight condition (I'd say somewhat).
As expected, my skin was a bit red & swollen but this soon went (this depends on your skin's sensitivy & areas used but this happened on my underarsm & legs).
I will use it on other reas & will upate here!
However, I wouldn't use it on my face as a beautician told me although apilation is ok to use on face, it leaves ingrown hairs which can look stubble, so I wouldn't advise using it on face.

It has 4 different caps for the main epilator head:
-bikini & underarm
-face
-High-Frequesncy Massage System (which massages) & is the least painful one (I'd say can used for large areas)
-EfficiencyPro cap for fast epilation & maximum contact with the skin.

It also comes with a main shaving head which is excellent for:
-trimming long hairs prior to epilation (OptiTrim comb) to ideal length
-it can also be used as a shaver
-trimmer (for example for bikini area).

The epilation head claims to possess "CloseGrip Technology for extra efficiency especially for short hairs" (I found this to be correct & it did remove short hairs quite well) & that the "40 tweezers always keep close contact to the skin to remove hairs as short as a grain of sand" (I found this sometimes worked, due to the tautness of the skin & the positioning of the hair; for example on my legs where the skin is straight & taut, this worked, but on face, this was more difficult to achieve).

Another plus point for this product is it can be used in the shower (on wet skin), even under running water! You may even use shower gel to make the skin moist & smooth.It can then be washed & cleaned under running water.

One thing I am a bit annoyed with, for cleaning you use the little brush & clean out the hairs from the appliance & then dip the brush in alcohol to disinfect it but I contcted Braun to ask what kind of alcohol I should use & they said they only recommend their own cleaning alcohol (which costs £7 inc. p&p which I wouldn't pay for a bottle of cleaning alcohol).

The product itself is white, has a nice shimmer on the bottom part & is easy to hold & handle.

Overall, an excellent product & I don't regret getting it.

PS. I have noticed my skin is quite sensitive after using it on my arms & legs..the skin goes red & comes out in red bumps, which does go down after quite a while, but not an hour or so, I'd give it a good 4-6 hours. But on my underarms in fine.
I WOULD NOT USE IT ON MY FACE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Believe The Hype!!, 8 Jun 2010
Ms. L. M. Harris "Linda" (Northants) - See all my reviews
Wow!! As soon as this arrived, I got cracking! I started with my legs, and due to the lack of pain (how have they designed something like this, but it doesnt hurt???)I got so carried away, I done every hairy department (yes, including the bikini line...a VERY close one at that!!).
Seriously, this is actually better than waxing. It's less messy, paid for in one go, and actually gets those 'small as a grain of sand' hairs out that waxing doesn't. I have to admit, I was sceptical, but had to eat my words the day it arrived.

The negatives are...

The price
It's noisy,
You can's use it whilst it's charging
You need to purchase a shaver adaptor (a couple of quid)

Other than that, no complaints.Don't even think about getting one of these, just DO IT.

1.0 out of 5 stars works well but only for 6 months, 31 July 2012
I was delighted with this epilator when I first bought it, but after 6 months I had to send it back because it would not hold its charge and was running very slow. Braun gave me a brand new one, but that too failed after 6 months - same problem. This time the service technician actually phoned me, and told me that it wasn't the battery that had failed - the epilator head had seized. He said that they all seize if you use them wet even if you are very careful about cleaning them.

I then used the epilator dry and it lasted longer before it seized, but only a few months - so much for a wet and dry epilator.

Also, I was told that the guarantee is only valid from the date of the initial purchase so they will not keep replacing the unit even though it keeps failing.

Do not buy it - it will be a total waste of your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 1 May 2010
I've always been a fan of epliators and this is the third one I've owned, and it's fantastic! I read a review on here that said they've come a long way in the last couple of years and it's definitely true.

I personally don't find it painful (though I do find waxing completely unbearable) but it is uncomfortable the first few times you epliate and it takes a while because the hairs are thick. After the first few uses they grow back so much finer, paler, and there's fewer of them - I usually find I only need to epliate every two to three WEEKS. My last eplilator was cordless, which was great because I could do it over the bath instead of in my bedroom, which I always thought was a bit gross.... However the charge only lasted 20 minutes and started to lose power after about 15, and it made a hideously loud grinding noise! It didn't glide as smoothly as this one or fit as comfortably in your hand. This one's not much quieter, but the noise is far less frightening! The best thing about it is being able to use in in water, and being able to apply products such as shower gel to the skin - the difference this makes is amazing. It means a much smoother glide and more effortless results, and is infinitely more painless, and you can wash it so it gets a proper clean. The selection of heads it comes with, including a trimmer, is brilliant - they really have thought of everything! And the smartlight is nothing short of genius!

My previous epilator doesn't charge anymore and I haven't been using it for about a year, but I'm not a fan of shaving as it leaves my skin dry and I have to do it every day. I suffer from ingrown hairs and find that contrary to what you often read, the epliator MINIMISES them - I hardly get any whereas I get a lot from shaving. I was reluctant to buy this product because of the hefty price tag, but it's worth every penny. If you're a fan of waxing this would surely save you a fortune, and it removes the tiniest of hairs.

Highly recommended!! (but remember to buy a plug adaptor!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - and relatively painless too!, 26 Jun 2010
G. Blinkhorn "blinx" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I've just received my silk-epil xpressive pro this morning, and with a sense of trepidation (ok, total dread and fear - I've used an epilator before, in the 90s, and it bloody hurt!) I charged it up and then switched it on to give it a go. I used the massage head - YOU MUST USE THIS, it REALLY makes a difference and the most you will feel is a slightly uncomfortable snagging/tingling - I was amazed at how quick this was, how efficiently and effectively it removed all the hair. The light is a stroke of GENIUS as you see every single hair and it's so easy to just whizz over and it's gone. Pull the skin tight, makes it even less uncomfortable.

I thought long and hard about buying this item because it *is* expensive; however, I am so impressed by the outcome, and if you think that it's paid for itself by you not having to shell out for 4 or 5 leg waxes, it's easier to justify.

Can't recommend this highly enough, I am quite hairy (if I don't shave my legs regularly my hubby complains that it's like sleeping with a rugby player!) and it was all over in about 5 mins. I walked downstairs, gobsmacked, and proceeded to show my entire family my newly smooth legs! Once you've finished, slather on some lovely body cream, and you're good to go.

I might try my armpits next (it comes with an armpit adaptor) - am working the courage up for that one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like childbirth, 27 Mar 2013
Now that I have two small children, I can't seem to find the time to laze about in beauty spas, having my legs waxed and my toes painted. So I thought I'd invest in one of these little machines, and get the deed done at home. Little did I realise the startling parallel between childbirth and epilation. Childbirth is a prolonged and incredibly painful experience, made worthwhile by having a gorgeous baby to cuddle at the end of it. Using of these machines is a prolonged and intensely painful experience, made worthwhile by having nice smooth leggies at the end of it. If Braun could just send over a waitress to serve cappuccinos and paint my toenails, the home spa experience would be complete.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 6 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer (PETERBOROUGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Epilating hurts - deal with it! Doesn't matter which one you use, it'll hurt somewhat. Although once you've used it a few times with each regrowth, it'll start to hurt a lot less.

This is a pretty good epilator, certainly an upgrade for me. The different sizes of epilating cover are useful for smaller (or more potentially painful!) areas, and the shaver/trimmer head is useful. Also the light is pretty good for seeing the hairs still to pluck.

I would disagree with the whole 'grain of sand' thing - sometimes it doesn't pick up small hairs, but again I think thats normal for all the epilators I've had experience with.

An extra tip, if you suffer from ingrown hairs, try 'Tend Skin' - a liquid you wipe over epilated or shaved areas which removes the redness after air removal within half an hour or so, and used every day or so helps prevent ingrowns and razor burn. I have pretty sensitive skin as well as suffering horribly from ingrown hairs, and this has certainly helped! Now I don't have to hide my bikini line for the days after its recently shaved or epilated it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works at first. In-grown hairs? DEFINITELY., 6 Oct 2010
J. Casey - See all my reviews
I was really excited about buying this epilator even though a number of people advised me not to. Rumour has it that not only is epilation painful, it leaves in-growing hairs and pimples. I decided to buy it anyway and wasn't too bothered at the level of pain. I can liken it a bit to having a tattoo - nose wrinkling at times but nothing major. However, the hairs on my legs are quite thick and after using it for a couple of months I came to the conclusion that there's `no way' I'd be lucky enough to only have to epilate every 4 weeks or so as advertised. I found that although the Braun would pluck about 50% of the hairs out, the other 50% would be broken off at skin level - so my legs looked okay but weren't anywhere near as smooth as they would be after a quick skim with a razor. I did everything as instructed -tautened the skin whilst moving the epilator slowly over the surface... It still breaks the stubborn ones off.

For this reason, there's always a continuing growth of stubble so I generally have to epilate twice a week. As far as the in-growing hairs go, when I first started using the Braun, there were only a few growing just below the surface i.e. you could see them clearly, just not get to them. Wanting to persevere with the thing I didn't consider this a problem and just got the tweezers out afterwards to excavate/pluck a few strays out; quite therapeutic actually. However, after 9 months of using it the in-grown hairs on my legs are becoming a REAL GRIPE. They're sore, red, pimply and not pretty in the slightest. Tweezering the strays is no longer relaxing but a complete chore - there's so many of them I don't know where to start. I can honestly say I gave the all-singing all-dancing Braun a chance and have persevered for 9 months. I'm probably well past the money-back guarantee period anyway. The trimmer/razor aspect of it is really handy but I think it's time I went back to my bic. Expensive experiment for me but I'm sure it works for some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth operator., 24 Nov 2009
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already have a Braun epilator, which is excellent, but some areas, such as bikini line and especially underarms are excruciatingly painful still, and I'd been wishing I could have an epilator which works in/under water as I was sure it would help make the pain a bit better, plus of course warm water opens your pores, meaning that it's easier to remove hairs and you have to repeat gliding your epilator over the same area too many times to make sure every hair is gone.

This model didn't disappoint. Used with a little shower gel, it makes your skin unbelievably smooth and reduces any post-epilation stinging, redness and red spots from where the hair has been removed (and I'm not talking about ingrown hairs here!)

Despite having sensitive skin and being a wimp, I found this epilator to be superb and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. You do need to buy an adaptor plug for it (these are available very cheaply) unless you have a shaver socket in your bathroom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 16 Nov 2013
I have had a Braun epilator in the past, a much cheaper version and one you use while it is plugged in, so I know they can be good and last for many years. (At least 5). This wet and dry epilator was very expensive but started to lose battery life within a year, it got progressively worse and then by 2 years it basically flashed red as soon as I started to use it even when "fully charged". So I literally got about 10mins use after hours of charging. Now, 2.5 years down the line it has simply stopped working. Clearly their rechargeable batteries don't perform as they should and I would never buy one like this again. I wish I'd never bought it.

ARRAY(0xa6d67e64)