5.0 out of 5 stars A great value Excellent product
QNAP TS-110 Turbo All-in-one NAS Server with iSCSI
I recently bought a NAIM Unitiqute. The product is designed to stream (Wired or wireless) music from DAB, Internet Radio, Attached devices such as Ipod and CD players. It also has the capability of streaming music stored on a Upnp enabled NAS drive.

I decided that I would copy all my CD's onto a NAS in...
Published on 17 Oct 2010 by Mr Cliff Webb

1.0 out of 5 stars Qnap?
Published 13 months ago by M. Harradine

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value Excellent product, 17 Oct 2010
Mr Cliff Webb (NORWICH, NORFOLK England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QNAP TS-110 1 Bay Turbo All-in-one NAS Server with iSCSI, iPhone Streaming, iTunes Server & Media Server (Personal Computers)
QNAP TS-110 Turbo All-in-one NAS Server with iSCSI

I decided that I would copy all my CD's onto a NAS in FLAC lossless format, and wanted a NAS which would work without the need for a computer to stream the data, so the NAS would essentially act as my CD collection. The NAIM product also has an Ipod app which allows it to be controlled from the Ipod but also allows you to browse your stored music on the NAS and also display the album artwork.

Firstly, I tried a Netgear Readynas Duo with with 2x 1-terrabyte hard drives. This was a huge mistake, a played with the device for nearly two weeks scouring the forums trying to find out why it didnt work as it should. Very frustrating, and didnt get any further. The problem was, the device could only be 'seen' as a Upnp music server by the NAIM when the laptop was also connected, even then, service was intermittent and no artwork could be seen ever! I tried all sorts of firmware updates/ IP configs and even installed the twonky add-on, all to no avail.

I then read some reviews on the QNAP series of NAS drives, mostly which are in praise of the devices. I checked the QNAP forums, sure some people have run into problems with their drives, but nothing like the issues raised in the Netgear forums.
So I bit the bullet and ordered the QNAP TS-110.
I decided that I would choose a NAS with only one hard drive and use another to back up my music files to, separately from the NAS, as I have heard of RAID devices screwing up the Mirror drive as well as the main drive when something goes wrong with the drives controller.
It came in three days (free delivery). It took me twenty minutes to install a 1TB drive, format it and set up for music streaming. Working!
The software guides you through the process very easily and has a nice graphical interface IT JUST WORKS. No problems at all and is happy streaming 24 bit 96Khz FLAC files - wirelessly!.(With artwork too)
The Fan is very quiet (Near silent when not streaming) which allows you to install the unit in the living room, unlike the Netgear whose fan is quite intrusive in the same space.
Things I dont like about the QNAP TS-110: The LEDS are too bright (There are five of them) and light the living room up in the dark.
Would I reccomend the QNAP TS-110? Very much so. It simply works for the reasons I bought it and the ease of setup/use gives you real confidence in the product.
I feel much happier now im not one of those lost souls on the Netgear forums, looking for a complex solution to an issue which can easily be sorted by choosing a product which works as it should. Thumbs up QNAP!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I need - share my data, 12 Feb 2011
Was looking for a product to primarily stream music to a SONOS system. This works perfect. Also shares data with Macbook, PS3 and iMac with zero drama. Also used as Timemachine backup with no problems.

Installing a drive is ridiculously easy. The setup on my computer wasn't as easy - and is the reason for losing a star - but I seem to have got the options I need working fine - sure it does even more stuff I don't know about at the moment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little NAS, 26 Jan 2010
G. Bell - See all my reviews
Ive had one for about a month and am very pleased with it so far. It has an amazing range of features for such a low priced box, basically running the same firmware as the much more expensive models. Ive been using mine mainly as a backup device over iSCSI and normally expect to see transfer rates of about 20MB/s write and 35MB/s read, which is the same or more than the multi drive models in the x10 range. It doesnt seem to slow down significant though if your using it for downloading and for file transfers concurrently.

Power consumption is nice and frugal, around 10 watts or so with a 1TB Samsung low power drive. Recommended, although put some tape over the LEDs before they blind your pets or children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Network Attached Storage unit, 26 Aug 2011
Mr. Richard Reynolds (UK) - See all my reviews
Delivery promptly and in perfect condition. Followed the manual and installed the firmware by downloading the latest from the QNAP website. Everything went smoothly and up and running in no time. Web interface is pretty quick, which is probably due to the 256MB of RAM and the eSATA interface works well backing up data to a external NTFS SATA drive. Reading and writing to NTFS seems to work fine with this unit.
Lots of features I haven't used yet but will do in time. Even upgrading the firmware to the latest version is very straight forward and without any issues.
Excellent product which I will be recommending to anyone who is interested in buying a NAS box for home use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good multipurpose NAS device, 1 May 2010
S. Brooke (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great little NAS device but much more than that. I use it for backup, storage, Music distribution (DLNA) and as my web site (Joomla based with php and mySQL). Pretty much silent in operation. There are an host of other feature too.
Web interface is easy to use and configure all the options.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 23 May 2012
Doesn't come with a Hard drive. I've been using this for 8 months now. This is a superb product with lots of functionality. I use it for storing movies, songs, photos and documents. It has twonky media server that enables streaming of files to dlna compatible devices. The GUI is simple to follow. I've connected QNAP to 1GB switch, homeplug adaptors and wireless access points.
Twonky server supports 5.1 sound over dlna. I have a blue ray player connected to Onkyo receiver which gives excellent sound. QNAP performs a daily backup to the portable USB drive through a schedulin agent. You can also set up a RAID configuration. It can be set to standby after inactivity to save power. Same movie can be streamed to multiple tvs and phones at the same time. It supports ftp and torrent downloads without the need of a computer. The cloud connection is amazing. Just register free with MyCloud NAS service and you can access your data from anywhere in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 30 Aug 2010
I'd been thinking about a NAS for some time, and had read enough reviews to convince me a cheap NAS would probably be trouble. This one so far has worked flawlessly and I am very impressed with it. Fitting a Western Digital 2TB drive was extremely simple. Getting the device up and running was no harder really. The supplied software is clear and easy to use, setting up userids and shares worked as it should and over gigabit ethernet I'm getting transfer rates of around 870 Mbps on Windows 7 64bit going via a Netgear gigabit switch. I would certainly recommend this NAS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Qnap?, 8 Jun 2013
M. Harradine - See all my reviews
Well I've had mine for several months now and I still can't get it to work properly on our simple LAN setup. The software is counter-intuitive, anachronistic and frankly baffling and when it does work it's painfully slow.(For example, the photo management software is from the stone age and as for Twonkymedia - bring back the Amstrad while you're at it. It is dire. I suggest taking away the "T" to produce a more apt brand name).

Just loading a few photos takes an age. I could download them off a server the other side of the world 10 times as fast and this thing is 200 ft away.
As for streaming music to a DLNA enabled stereo, forget it unless you've got one of the systems mentioned in other reviews.

If I'd known I was going to have to be a programmer or a geeky type to work this thing,(no aspersions to geeks or programmers, but those are the people most happy with it it seems, just check the help forums. You won't get much help, but you can have a long discussion about all sorts of technical workarounds), or propel myself back to the eighties then I would have thought twice about buying it.

This is not for the computer-inexperienced or someone expecting to have it work like switching on a tv or even work like they say in their own advertising.
The mismatch between what they say it will do and what it actually does when you get it home and plug it in couldn't be further apart. It's like they're talking about a different product altogether.

What a waste..(pretty lights though...)

5.0 out of 5 stars qnap ts 110, 5 Dec 2011
item is great - works really well, be careful though, even customer service dont really know whether it comes with a hard drive. it doesnt. that starts to make it quite expensive for what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looks and feels like a quality product, 25 Nov 2011
A great product, better than my previous iomega. The software is ok on this product but could be better. Have a good look on the Qnap website before you buy. I like the power saving features and i really prefer the USB external storage handling. It sits there quietly doing what it is supposed to.

One weird thing is tha the OS is Linux based and it has a security cam module. On my personal Linux systems you cannot use the interface because it is designed to be used in Microsoft IE browsers. Whats that all about?

If you are going to use this with a UPS it has specific software to handle an online UPS and will shutdown on outages.