4.0 out of 5 stars Give the guy a break
OK this may not be a ground breaking revolutionary step forward in the history of popular music, but come on - it's John Mayer. This may not be the greatest thing he's ever recorded, but it's pretty good - very good if by anyone else. Stick it in your car on a long journey, or your ipod dock when you're having a bath and it's fantastic.

This is what John...
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by Huw Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars An entirely unremarkable album
Published on 19 Nov 2009 by Mr. S. Lambert

4.0 out of 5 stars Give the guy a break, 15 Dec 2009
Huw Roberts (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)

This is what John Mayer does. Provide great radio friendly tunes, full of class and fun. And why is everyone so freaked out by Crossroads - it's only 2 1/2 minutes long! I think it's quite a funky little tune - he's not pretending to be Clapton.

I thoroughly recommend this album. The guitar playing is tasteful, the tunes are good and the lyrics have as much meaning as you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, it's a grower., 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
I got this album on pre order and was initially quite disapointed. I thought the songs were bland and John had taken a step back from his work on Continuum. I persevered with it though and while I can't say it's as good as his last record there are some genuinely interesting tracks on here.
There is a feeling of confidence when you listen to the songs, as usual with Mayer's releases the quality of the writing remains high throughout, stand out tracks for me are Assassin - reminds me of Sting's best stuff and has a beautiful guitar solo ; Half of my Heart - not so sure about Tayor Swift's part but it's a snappy country/pop song ; Heartbreak Warfare - great groove, thoughtful lyrics and believe it or not, Crossroads - everyone seems to be slating it but I think he's done something interesting with a classic track, it's contemporary and Steve Jordan's drumming is a perfect fit as ever. I can also say, having caught one of the dates on this tour, that these songs translate very well live.
I think this is an album to invest some time in. It's not the instant classic that Continuum was but it's a genuinely well written and interesting pop record from a guy who, in my opinion, is one of the most talented songwriters of his generation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
After viewing the many bad reviews of Battle Studies I was disappointed, because I was looking forward to John's new album, but if I had taken notice of them I would have missed a wonderful and beautiful set of songs/ballards.
Yes Crossroads is not my favourite but its not a bad version, I have heard worse (just listen to most of the UK top 10 singles).
Buy it, let it grow on you it will!
I think its as good as Continuum, but in a different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Average? Bland?, 17 Dec 2009
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
Sorry guys, but I am totally at odds with my fellow reviewers here; this album is great!!!

Yes, the style changes somewhat, but its unmistakeably John Mayer; and therefore any fan of John's music should love this album after a couple of plays. I think its second only to 'Try!', which is my favourite. (especially the DVD version)

Favourite tracks include 'Half of my Heart' and 'Perfectly Lonely'.

There's not a huge amount of guitar work here, just a collection of very cleverly crafted songs, from a musical genius. Am I biased? You betcha......

If you love good music, don't hesitate to buy a copy; or better still, catch him 'live' in concert in the New Year.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Mayer Rules, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
What can I say I am a dyed in the wool fan and as far as i am concerned this album does nothing to shake that.
The style is slightly different but is one of those albums that grows on you the more you listen to it.
And the track "Crossroads"is one of the best renditions i have heard including Mr Claptons.
Great Album keep them coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from John Mayer, 11 Dec 2009
Carol Prescott (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
Another wonderful album from a very talented performer.

I wish I could have John Mayer sing to me all day. I will never get bored from listening to this man sing. What a voice!!!

Buy this album and you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars not up to his usual standard, 26 Nov 2009
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
Like many others I like John Mayer and his older stuff particularly the blues/rock stuff he did - don't get me wrong I also like the continuum/room for squares albums - but found this very disappointing it is completely over produced with too much going on and a real shame because I was looking forward to it coming out. His voice is strong enough but found the album overall very bland and hard to get into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Fine By Me, 22 Nov 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
I can't help but feel that there is a little more
unkindless in the air regarding John Mayer's new
album 'Battle Studies' than he really deserves.

One does not buy a recording by Mr Mayer expecting
originality and innovation. It is not his territory.

What we are given here is a collection of eleven
perfectly-formed and easily digestible pops songs
and I cannot find it in my heart to believe that
this should be considered such a terrible crime.

There are those who are born to drive fast on the right
or the left of the road and there are others who are
content to cruise defiantly straight down the middle lane.

Mr Mayer does no great disservice to the middle-of-the-road.

The melodies are strong and not always as predictable as
a first hearing might suggest. 'All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye'
is a fine case in point; the harmonic structure of the chorus
is simple but delightful; the chord-changes in the verses
satisfyingly elusive. It is a lovely song.

'Assassin' is another fine composition driven along by
Steve Jordan's beautifully measured percussion.
Subtlety and emotional power are delivered in equal measure.
The voice is strong and sure; the guitar solo economical.

'War Of My Life' could not, for a moment, pretend to be
anything other than what it is : a string of world-weary
cliches stitched together into some semblance of a song.
The strange thing is, the final result is totally convincing.

I'd have been tempted to throw 5 stars at the project had it
not been for the somewhat lacklustre 'Half Of My Heart' and
'Perfectly Lonely'; both too ordinary to have warrented inclusion.

These minor lapses in judgement are redeemed by the ravishing
little song 'Do You Know Me' (best track by a mile) and 'Edge
Of Desire', another fine composition which takes time to reveal
the warm heart at its centre. Cracking stuff!

Musical support is sympathetically robust throughout.
Nice to find Ian McLagan playing keyboards on a good
half-dozen of the tracks.
Pino Palladino's lyrical bass guitar playing also deserves
a special mention all its own.

All-in-all a redoubtably workmanlike collection for which
Mr Mayer deserves both our applause and admiration.
There is very little to be ashamed of here.

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars An entirely unremarkable album, 19 Nov 2009
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
After his 2008 live album (Where The Light Is) in which, barring the acoustic opening, all the tracks not featured on any of his albums were all excellent blues performances, as well as some bluesy tracks of Continuum, I was not expecting an album like this. "Perfectly Lonely" has a blues element to it, and is a standout track, and most blues fans will instantly recognise the song "Crossroads", but Mayer's cover does Johnson's no credit at all, though saying that there is an excellent performance with Clapton on YouTube of this song, but why is this version on the album?!

The first single "Who Says" is not bad, and because of this it stands out against the rest, though put it in any of his other albums and it would probably go unnoticed. The songwriting in the album isn't up to his usual standard. The rest of the songs on the albums are entirely forgettable, and has dragged the standard of the album way down.

I think part of the problem is that, with his studio albums, especially Continuum, he has set himself up for this fall. Fingers crossed he can pick himself up with something better next time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other review..., 15 Nov 2009
Paul Saward "Gus Bandicoot" (Braintree,ESSEX, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
Now i dont usually write these as i believe you should make your own mind up, but as the other review depicted a poor/bad vibe to this album...i tohught i would contribute. yes of course i am goin to be bias as im a fan, however. Listen to the album. Honestly, the 1st listen as i excitedly anticipated the sounds was a 'ahhhh...hmmm ok...ahhh' kind of reaction...second time round was a 'ooohhh ahh oooh' kind of reaction as it got better the second time, and the times after that it got better and better, i think thats because i 'got it' and understod it the second time round. i completly disagree with the last review stateing thats theres no memorable tracks on it. its full of gems. People expecting a 'pop' album like his early work, may be disapointed. Its subtle, clever and mature. So 5 stars for me, and ive already got tickets to see him in 3 shows in January. yep, i think he's an absolute legend. Nice one JM, *high five*....

Battle Studies