5.0 out of 5 stars Inkscape
Excellent well-written text with numerous useful examples. Essential reading for a software package (Inkscape) which has many advanced features that are hard to understand without this book.
Published 24 months ago by David Allerton

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much technical language
This book does tell you all about Inkscape but it does it in mostly very technical language. I am fairly new to Inkscape & found this book to be not much help to learn the basics.
Published on 22 Jan 2010 by Mrs. Aj Chase

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much technical language, 22 Jan 2010
Mrs. Aj Chase - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 7 May 2010
Mr. N. S. Wedd (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
The book starts with ten examples of creating images with Inkscape, so that the reader can work through them and get used to Inkscape's features. The examples get progressively more difficult. The first two I found easy; the third had its problems; and after struggling with the fourth, I gave up. The problem isn't that the material is difficult, at least for these early examples it's simple enough. But I kept finding that the Inkscape program doesn't do what the book says it does. (I was using Windows XP 5.1 to run Inkscape version 0.47, just what the book says it is intended for.) After searching around and trying several options I generally found a way to produce the effect that was required; but I found that so much mental energy was consumed by finding these workarounds, that I wasn't retaining any of whatever I was meant to be learning from the examples.

If these early chapter had done more to explain the logic of what was going on, they would still have been useful. But when the text says "Tapping the space bar will change the Select Tool for repositioning the circle", and I tap the space bar and nothing happens, it is demotivating. After a dozen or so things like that, I gave up.

For all I know, later chapters may be much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inkscape, 8 Jan 2013