5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album
I bought this album on a bit of a whim after I caught this singer/songwriter on a short music program on TV. I had never heard any of her music before but caught one full track at the end of the program. Mistakes can often happen when making impulse music buys, however I can safely say on this occasion I was not disappointed.

When using the term Folk to...
Published on 2 April 2010 by A. Z. Murombe-chiver

3.0 out of 5 stars Curious..
This is an album that will repay many listenings as there are many layers of forces at play.

It's totally unclassifiable, loopily quirky, and possesses an elfin charm.

Published on 10 Jan 2010 by Mr. J. T. P. Goode

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 2 April 2010
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)

When using the term Folk to describe music people tend to run a mile. Jesca has created an album that is heavy in folk influence however she brings it to the main stream with some great melodies and on one track the help of Guy Garvey from Elbow.

This album and her previous album 'Kismet' are well worth checking out. And if you get the opportunity, have a look for her playing live this summer as she is popping up in a couple of places over the course of the Summer. I know I will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sophomore Effort, 20 Dec 2009
Robert Burns (Tallahassee, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)
I'm trying to figure out which songs the other reviewer didn't like. To my ears, there's not a weak track to be found here. As with "Kismet" there is a fair amount of stylistic diversity on display here, no surprise from an artist who's music has been described (by her former employer Tom Waits) as a "four-sided coin". Any fan of her first record will find much to love here and if you didn't like "Kismet", give it another listen or three. In this age of I Tunes,a record this solid is a rare find.
Also check out Tom Waits Glitter And Doom Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lyrics!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)
I heard a snippet of one of Jesca's songs on the radio and HAD to buy this album. It's other-worldly and beautiful. My favourite track is Tulip but all her songs draw you in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cd by Jesca Hoop, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)
Jesca Hoop is a little treasure I found through a friend, within the first week I had bought all of her cds and then got to see her live in Manchester, which was amazing. She has tones of Kate Bush throughout her music, but is still totally original, really amazing, and has a brilliant vocal ability. I wouldn't know which music category to put her in, as she isn't folk, she isn't pop, she isn't rock, she is a combination of all three and sometimes there are bits of world music tones in there, as well. You really must listen to her to see what I mean, but I haven't loved an artist so much since Tori Amos or Ani DiFranco. Brilliant!!

4.0 out of 5 stars jesca hoop hunting my dress., 28 May 2010
This review is from: Hunting My Dress (MP3 Download)
this is an original and extremely intersting album both musically and lyrically,not the kind of stuff i would normally listen to but found i was drawn to it time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunting My Dress, 4 Mar 2010
M. Bellars - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)
This takes a lot of listening to and there are musical influences from almost everywhere. But it's original and thought provoking, and will prove to be a good purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Different, 7 April 2010
J. Roberts (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hunting My Dress (MP3 Download)
This is a great albulm, really different to the normal rubbish on the radio. Highly recommneded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks 6 Music, 10 Mar 2010
Mr. R. J. Cleland "Richard" (Norwich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)
I am a simple soul. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. See my 5 stars?

3.0 out of 5 stars Curious.., 10 Jan 2010
Mr. J. T. P. Goode (Cornwall, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] (Audio CD)

It's totally unclassifiable, loopily quirky, and possesses an elfin charm.

Jesca's is a unique world of frivolous girliness fused with a deep-rooted northern-European-flavoured shamanic intent, (odd for a Californian). Think beguiling earthy siren chewing bubblegum, gargling rum and blood and spitting out vocal riffs. Tank Girl meets an eight year old meets Bjork meets voodoo priestess.

Or think perhaps the music of a contemporary Scandinavian vampire cabaret.

(If your imagination dare stretch to such places?)

I am a newcomer to her world and this, her second offering, was the album I heard initially.

For me, somehow, the sophistication of the recording technology here has sometimes interfered with the intent. The grooves are somewhat industrial in places, too harsh, too mathematical, too relentless for the organic beauty of her voice and delivery. They squash and limit the grace of the melodies, restrict the flow.

Had I listened to her debut first, my impressions of this might be different.

This album speaks best when it's softer, quieter, more open, more dynamic and more organic. Then the jewels really do sparkle out with a blinding purity.

I heard her doing a live radio session for the BBC before Xmas that was utterly bewitching, simple formats and eccentric percussion behind..two/three(?) people in a room at the Beeb creating magic. Here's an artist to watch.

Hers is a singular sparky creative voice having FUN (remember that?), and playfully experimenting amidst seas of bland female singer-songwriter homogeneity.

Indeed, with the position of being Tom Wait's nanny on her CV would you expect any less?

(!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shop!, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: Hunting My Dress [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The package arrived sooner than I had thought possible, given that I ordered it so close to Christmas.
It was quite possible the best packaging I have ever received a vinyl record in -very secure- and the item itself was in perfect condition.

Hunting My Dress  [Re-Release]
Hunting My Dress [Re-Release] by Jesca Hoop (Audio CD - 2010)