5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheisser RS 170 Closed Digital Wireless Headphones
Published on 14 Mar 2010 by M. Seath

2.0 out of 5 stars Debilitating sound dropouts
Bought for use with TV (Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U). Sold directly by Amazon and arrived quickly. Looked good out of the box. Nice headphones. From the outset, I experienced the following 2 problems:

1) Intermittent sound dropouts. This would last about 0.5-1 sec each time manifested as complete loss of sound from the tv. For the first few days, it only occurred a...
Published on 24 Mar 2010 by Redreflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheisser RS 170 Closed Digital Wireless Headphones, 14 Mar 2010
M. Seath (Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser RS 170 Closed Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
As a long term Sennheiser fan I tried these 'phones for myself, after some lengthy research, and can confirm that they are excellent. As soon as I started listening to a film using the surround setting I was hooked, and yes I "listened" to the film. I have a fair home cinema system but these 'phones beat the speakers. The experience is totally immersive and the set up ridiculously easy; take them out of the box plug in to power source, charge batteries, plug in to sound source, switch on and listen. The 'phones are easy to adjust for sound and fit and are light and comfortable to wear. They are not the cheapest wireless 'phones on the market but the quality is superb and the added benefit of increaed domestic harmony as I listen to loud films while everyone else sleeps makes them all the more worth while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser RS170 Headphones, 10 Jan 2011
For some time I've noticed that I'm increasingly finding it difficult to hear the dialogue over the background music in films and after much deliberation decided to buy a pair of Sennheiser 170's after having read a number of reviews on here.

Wireless headphones appealed to me as I always found the cord on my old pair irritating. I wanted them primarily to improve hearing the sound from the TV but also for listening to music too. I would have gone for the RS180's which are open backed and are supposed to sound superior but decided that the closed back 170's were the better option so that my wife can listen normally using the TV's speakers at the same time. If the TV's speakers are playing as well I don't hear an echo unless the TV's sound is turned up.

I've only been using them for 3 days and so far I'm very pleased with my purchase. The sound is very good, they may not be for audiophiles but I'm prepared to accept that they are not the last word in HiFi for the convenience of them being wireless and for the price that I paid. I've not had any problems with interfernce with my wireless internet connection and I can now watch films at a normal volume without relying on the subtitles. I found the range to be more than adequate and have been able to go anywhere in my house except near the window of the room furthest away. The actual stand is locate behind my LCD TV and I'm able to pick up a signal in my kitchen despite there being a wall and a large American Fridge Freeze in between and I can also go outside for about 20' before they start to cut out.

It was a little disconcerting, especially when I first used them when watching tv because the sound appears to be coming from inside one's head rather than the direction of the TV, maybe open ones would be better in that resepct, but I'm getting used to that.

I'm finding the button controls okay but once they're set up I rarely need to touch them anyway.

It would be useful to me if they had the option of using them corded to as I could then use them with another TV in a different room or with my laptop. If they had this feature and they were of an audiophile quality then I would have given them 5 stars.

Overall I can recommend them and I'm hearing a lot more things than I used to when I relied on the TV's speakers.

Update : 11-4-2011 : I've since found that I can now go to the end of my garden, a distance of about 70', providing I turn my head so that the headband is aligned with the direction of the transmitter. Not particularly convenient I know but it does help to extend the range.

Further update 30-5-2011: After 6 months use the sound quality seems to have improved a lot and they sound brilliant and are definetely one of my better buys. I'm at this moment listening to Planet Rock and can definetely recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, worth every penny, 13 Mar 2010
H. E. Lambourne "Oxford yellow" (oxford uk) - See all my reviews
I've had the RS130's and were very good
But i bought The 170's and ...wow!
Crystal clear sound no hiss at all
The only gripe is that the buttons on the headset are tiny and sooooo close together
why were they designed like this? I have slim fingers and can cope, but anyone with fatter fingers will struggle
It'll take some getting use to, but the performance of these headphones far outway a minor niggle

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 3 Jan 2011
These headphones are fantastic. The digital surround sound is far superior to the cinema sound from the speakers connected to my tv. and audio equipment. Clear and crisp sound.

People have said in reviews that sometimes the sound dissappears, however if you point the charger to where you are you do not lose the signal. I can sit in the garden about 40 to 50 metres away from the charger with no loss of sound.

The only problem is once you have them on you will not hear the door, mobile phone, kids screaming or the wife nagging.

Worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have Hearing difficulties and these solve the problem., 29 Nov 2010
M. Beckett "Mikeretyred" (Corfu) - See all my reviews
I am profoundly deaf, without hearing aids I'm lost.
Like so many people with hearing difficulties I keep buying headphones in the hope I shall at last be able to hear the TV or audio properly, only to be so often disappointed.

So many wired or wireless headphones produce too little, or too muffled sound or produce it at such power it hurts.

I need really crisp sound without a tremendous bass. The RS 170's do not disappoint - they are THE best wireless headphones I've ever had, they are just wonderful. Even better than the excellent RS 140's they replace.
On top of that the closed back design means my wife can listen to sound from speakers without the additional echo of delayed sound from my headphones.

So whilst not nowadays an audiophile, for people like me, these are well worth the money in every sense.
Mike Retyred

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, despite first impressions., 16 May 2010
R. Griffin "Gryphon" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just so the first part of the review isn't negative, I'll write it in reverse. I love them. I've been using them mainly for music (prog-rock/rock/pop/dance/rap/rnb... varied taste ;) ). They're very light and comfortable on the head, the sound is well defined across the spectrum, although they have virtually no response below 40Hz. The audio is clear at low volume, and doesn't distort when I turn them up - I'm not sure of the top volume, but they go loud enough for me to want to rip them away from my ears without much noticeable distortion, or sounding too harsh. I haven't got any other good headphones to compare them to, but I can safely say they thrash my Bose Tri-Port earphones, and they give comparable sound to my ~£700 HiFi setup (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Cambridge Audio Azure 340A amp, CA DacMagic and mordaunt short alumni9 sub). They're plugged into the Tape output of the amplifier. Can't comment on battery life as I haven't listened for more than 3-4 hours at a time so far. They come with GP 600mAh 'AAA' batteries though, so it will be easy to upgrade them to some good duracell rechargeables.

The main complaint about them seems to be the placement of the volume/power buttons. This isnt really a problem at all - there is a row of three buttons and its easy to feel the ends of the row. The up volume is at the back or the row, the down at the front. simple as. I've only turned them off accidentally twice, and that was when I first used them.

The range is decent. my uni halls have lots of brick walls, but it still covers the whole flat. Between my room and the kitchen there is one room, the shower, the toilet and the cleaners cupboard, all with brick walls, and I get good reception in the kitchen. That's through 5 4" walls. (although at that range it cuts out if I put my hands over the cans)

Now to the first impressions. Pulled them out of the amazon box, and the whole thing was light as a feather, albeit a very nicely packaged feather. i realise the the headphones need to be light, but the base is also light, and to the touch, a bit plasticy. Despite feeling a bit cheap it does look the part, and its not exactly handled much once you're set it up. the main downside is you have to hold it to push the power button, otherwise you just push the whole thing backwards. The headphones are also light, but don't feel plasticy, are very flexible and feel well built. I don't think I'll be breaking them any time soon.

Upon first listening, they sounded very bad. Harsh treble and mids, and no bass to talk about, even with bass boost on, i gave them a chance to burn in though, and this was completely gone after about 30 minutes of listening. They're still improving a bit after I've had them a few days.

Overall I would give them 4.5/5 because of the base and having to hold it still when pushing the power button, but as 4.5 isn't an option, and I like them too much to give them 4... 5 it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking cans, 5 Jun 2010
Mr. D. Quinn (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been using a pair of AKG pro phones for probably 30 years now and finally decided to change so that I can watch TV while the wife is in bed without having to sit in the only seat in range of the cable. I looked at lots of reviews, some strange eg "I can't wear my headphones while I have guests because there's a delay which creates an echo if the speakers are on" - why? and some quite informative. Anyway I decided to go for the RS 170 based on some sensible comments and the fact that I also use Sennheiser in-ear for my mp3 player and know they make a good product. I haven't been disapointed. They are not exactly cheap, but you get what you pay for - up to a point of course. Sound quality is very good, reception is fine with no dead spots discovered so far. Interference/noise is non-existant. The only two niggles are, the volume is difficult to adjust on the phones - not a problem for me as I use a remote on the amp output instead, and they are snug fitting and not as comfortable as the AKGs. Having said that, I do have a big head and the AKGs have had a lot longer to become accustomed to it. So the short answer is buy them, I love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful quality-The RS 170 sennheiser, 12 Jan 2011
D. J. Proby "Science and Tech." (Yorkshire, uk) - See all my reviews
Unaccustomed to writing reviews as I am,,, I will give a brief rundown of the sennheiser RS 170. I bought these through Amazon. I had to consider the price, how would they work through a PC and could I figure what cables and adapters would I need. The sennheiser rs 170 set arrived a few days after order (well done Amazon). I opened the packaging and felt somewhat overwhelmed. I don't know anything about audio technology. I need not have worried. I figured out that you just plug the base unit into the headphone socket on the PC. Eager to test them out I gave them a `generous' five minute charge. I pulled up Media player from Windows 7 and waited with baited breath. Nothing. You have to switch the unit on! I pressed the relevant button and ...WOW. I am a night person, I like to listen to music during the hours you are probably asleep, or trying to sleep if it wasn't for that noisy neighbour!! Fantastic sound, very loud, clear, wander about making your curry supper, Black Sabbath full blast at three in the morning. No upset neighbours. Perfect. I have to say (I was a musician and love to listen) these phones are the best buy I have made through Amazon. They are simple to use, give great quality sound, do not force others to listen to your noise, easy to set-up, expensive but worth it. For those like me who are not sure about "jacks, optical connectors, adapters" don't worry. I have a Desktop PC using Realtek HD (analogue) Audio. These sennheiser rs 170's plug straight into your PC and work from the get-go. Buy these phones, if you never buy another thing again, buy these phones. You will be happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to listen to TV all over the house and not disturb others, 21 Jun 2010
These headphones are great and do just what I needed them to. I live in a flat which is relatively small but has thick walls and I have never had any problem receiving crystal clear audio any where in the home. For long sessions listening I started to find them a little uncomfortable after an hour or so initially but perhaps that was me just getting used to them as now a month or so in, I feel perfectly comfortable wearing them at least that long.

I also use them for listening to audio (usually 6Music on DAB through TV) and for that too I find they serve perfectly well - with no noticeable loss of audio quality.

One warning, there is a noise attenuation feature which was enabled by default on my set. If watching a film with quiet passages this can be especially annoying as the sound will just drop out completely during these sections (i.e breaks in speech and all other sounds except background). There is a little slider switch on the back of the unit to disable this feature and as soon as I did this hey presto - they became the perfect listening solution to avoid disturbing my other half when my choice of listening / viewing isn't to her tastes. This is especially brilliant for watching football matches undisturbed. very happy with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best wifi headphones in May 2011, 22 May 2011
These are the best wifi headphones.
Period.

Are they better then your wired monitors cans? No.
Are they better then every other wifi or bluetooth headset avaialble right now? YES!

I listen to wireless phones alot. From the closed and thermal old sennhiesers, to the sonys wifi debackle, to the astounding AKG heroes 787's.
And these are the best so far.

The Kleer technology is awesome, it produces warmth and range that you would expect on a mid tier wired headphone set costing about £70 from sennheiser or AKG.

The rest of what you pay is for the wifi clarity. Its ranges is about 20 meters through 3 walls, but when you get even a little interference expect your sound to cut straight out ( a side effect of the Kleer tech and i acheieved at the bottom of my garden about 25 meters.)

I can wash my car on the drive whilst wearing these, and the base station is connected to my PC in the loft. I hear my music with excellent clarity.

The only choice you need to make is closed back [RS170] or open backed [RS180] versions.
Closed back ( the ones i prefer) leaks much much less noise out, so i can listen to iplayer on my pc whilst my wife sleeps. Where-as open backed leak more sound but have even better sound fidelity.

Sure it is pricey.
But these are the clearest, most comfortable and simply the best wifi headphones around.
Fullstop.